Custom Map #1319: FPS: Ported Over. By: qople

Started by AutoPost, April 12, 2021, 06:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1319: FPS: Ported Over

Author: qople
Size: 255x161

Shatterstep

Clever and enjoyable. Took me a sec to realize that I could only create 2 portals. Very handy.

knightace

I'm literally just 20 seconds into the map; but I have to stop before finishing it. I just have to.

I love it! That little "jump" animation going into the portal; my god. The modding going into this mode is becoming really something...so creative! Well done. I'm going to have a blast finishing this map, I'm sure.

Okay now that high expectations have been set; off to have fun. Lol.

mzimmer74

Fantastic map, but I did run into a bug. I was on the last little island and, as usual, was using the auto-fire. I was switching to a different weapon and accidentally switched to the portal gun. By a complete fluke I managed to put two portals right by each other on the edge of a cliff. Unfortunately one of them was at my feet and it teleported me to the other one. However, I wasn't "on" the portal but on the edge of it, meaning that my body was right over the edge of the cliff. Due to that I couldn't move away and could never put a portal underneath me. I basically got into a no-win situation since the last item to pick up needed me to be closer to it to activate it. It's definitely not worth a huge look into, but thought I'd bring it to your attention. Thanks for a really fun map, even with the bug!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

InwardChaos

Yet another great FPS map.

I had to retry the map twice due to getting insta-killed when stepping through a portal I thought was safe, but it wasn't.
Teleporting through the stargates drops the player outside of the stargate, which in both of my reset cases, was into a pool of creeper that drained my life before I could re-activate the portal.
I think that either give the player a few seconds of invulnerability after using a stargate to escape these sorts of situations, or implement the "select a destination" mode for 2-gate networks, so that the player has a chance to see where they are going to end up, and can abort if the destination is unsafe.

Other than that, I enjoyed my 3 playthroughs of this map.

Qople

Quote from: mzimmer74 on April 12, 2021, 10:10:03 PM
Fantastic map, but I did run into a bug. I was on the last little island and, as usual, was using the auto-fire. I was switching to a different weapon and accidentally switched to the portal gun. By a complete fluke I managed to put two portals right by each other on the edge of a cliff. Unfortunately one of them was at my feet and it teleported me to the other one. However, I wasn't "on" the portal but on the edge of it, meaning that my body was right over the edge of the cliff. Due to that I couldn't move away and could never put a portal underneath me. I basically got into a no-win situation since the last item to pick up needed me to be closer to it to activate it. It's definitely not worth a huge look into, but thought I'd bring it to your attention. Thanks for a really fun map, even with the bug!

I forgot to mention it in the map, now that I think of it, but I added a way to manually respawn in case something like that happens. Hold down the Custom1 key (same as entering first person mode) for 5 seconds.

Snicker

Good, Smart, Fun. Dont know why, but I got a  little excited when I saw the gate on the void. Maybe its better not to walk on it. :}

Durikkan

Quote from: InwardChaos on April 12, 2021, 10:16:33 PM
I had to retry the map twice due to getting insta-killed when stepping through a portal I thought was safe, but it wasn't.

I'm guessing part of that may be due to the stash portals.  I probably should have had some sort of visual difference for those, but I wasn't expecting them to be in a map like this.  I am tempted to do a revamp patch/map for them now for some other things that have come up, so I'll add that to the list of considerations.   

Fun map, and I do appreciate that the portals let you choose when there's multiple destinations, I was expecting some sort of round robin system.   My only minor nitpick with this system is me accidentally going into a portal when fighting creeper, but that's mostly just me not being careful of my surroundings.  I did also go back because of another comment here and try to take the portal into the void and saw you made that impossible. 

I'm known as Auri in cw4.

AgRecluse

Another fun FPS map  ;D And the porters works so well! That animation is fantastic!

knightace

Okay; initial hype aside now, I beat this thing once using each weapon solo. Habit of mine with these maps it seems. Here are my thoughts.

First; this portal system is amazing for FPS maps. It opens up interesting terrain options - even possibly having portals disabled/enabled, scripting some to appear, or additional portals with 'X' texture to signify you can't travel them but creeper/AC can? Lots of possibilities. I think this animation and style should see further use. I think others in this thread have suggested good ideas for improvement. I'll add one more; when 'transporting'; either allow mouseover to highlight the portal connections, or auto-highlight the in-use portals connections. This way if you didn't already know you aren't scouring the map to find available options matching the color you chose manually.

Next; maybe I'm missing some explanation or reasoning...I couldn't seem to drop the portals a number of places that I thought I would be able to. In my testing it seemed the area had to be clear of creeper but that wasn't the only reason. For example on my 3rd run; I boldly tried to rush dropping a portal in the walled off high-creeper zone (south-west corner). No matter how much I cleared (all the way back to the green portal) I could not get a portal to be created. Yes; I like to do janky things. :) I was able to clear creep and drop a portal just south of the starting area and come in the backside that way; so I'm not sure what its limitations were.

D0m0nik

Best FPS yet! Very replayable thanks to the portals, so many options which makes for an intersting game.

Qople

Quote from: knightace on April 13, 2021, 09:02:35 AM
Next; maybe I'm missing some explanation or reasoning...I couldn't seem to drop the portals a number of places that I thought I would be able to. In my testing it seemed the area had to be clear of creeper but that wasn't the only reason. For example on my 3rd run; I boldly tried to rush dropping a portal in the walled off high-creeper zone (south-west corner). No matter how much I cleared (all the way back to the green portal) I could not get a portal to be created. Yes; I like to do janky things. :) I was able to clear creep and drop a portal just south of the starting area and come in the backside that way; so I'm not sure what its limitations were.

The rules for placing the portals are just no creeper and flat ground. Maybe that's what you were missing? I know the portals can normally be built on uneven ground, but requiring it to be flat prevents a lot of edge cases with traveling through them.

mzimmer74

Quote from: Qople on April 12, 2021, 10:33:38 PM
Quote from: mzimmer74 on April 12, 2021, 10:10:03 PM

I forgot to mention it in the map, now that I think of it, but I added a way to manually respawn in case something like that happens. Hold down the Custom1 key (same as entering first person mode) for 5 seconds.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

MrWizard

mechi

I have no idea how to play this map. No description ingame or forum. Read about a portal gun in above bug report but I cannot scroll to said weapon nor select using keys. I can get a sound when standing on number 4 gate but nothing else. What am I supposed to do? (edit: sleepy)