Most hated planets trough the history of Creeper World (Spoilers!)

Started by Jacobkolstad, April 16, 2014, 11:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Relli

Quote from: planetfall on May 05, 2014, 09:56:48 PM
Horror's not really that hard except for that first capsule, and not really even that if you upgrade and prioritize right.
Many things are easy if you know how to do them. That doesn't mean they're easy overall though, as sometimes it can be very difficult to figure out the correct way to do things.
In my experience, at least, the difficulty with levels like Horror and Farbor is in realizing that your usual approach is never gonna work, and then testing over and over again a completely new strategy until you finally get it right and win. Which can take a very long time, depending.
Or, perhaps, it takes no time at all for some people, because either that's their natural strategy already, or because they get lucky in choosing a replacement strategy. Skill is obviously involved, but never underestimate luck.

4xC

The more luck is involved, the more hatred seems to be earned.
C,C,C,C

cooltv27

Quote from: 4xC on May 27, 2014, 10:05:37 AM
The more luck is involved, the more hatred seems to be earned.
true, but luck really only comes into play with spores/phantoms and drones/runners.
if you do the exact same thing (timing and location) with out any of those random factors then it should happen the same way
there is luck with how I time it when not playing frame by frame, and that is probably what you mean
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

Flash1225

All 3 of the maps posted I hate.

My Top 3 Most Hated maps from each game:

CW1:
#1:Corvus, hands down. I had to restart a LOT on this map before I realized that sending a mortar to the opposite end of the map helps a survival pod escape.
#2:Tucuna, as posted. Not only are 2 mortars required to survive the start, but not getting reactors until AFTER!? That helps a lot!
#3:Draco, strangely enough. It's not hard, just takes a while to penetrate the big wall of creeper in that big,fat hole in the center.
CW2:
#1:Horror, as posted. Too many capsules, not enough time, many restarts, 'nuff said.
#2:Sliver. Wierdly enough, this wasn't too hard. Just takes a bit.
#3:Answer. Lack of drones and phantoms in this one, luckily, but gateways and fields don't exactly help. Plus, I believe there's a lack of ore here, I forget.
CW3:
#1:Farbor, as posted, and self-explanitory.
#2:Otrav. A bit too much creeper going through those fields.
#3:Choix. Tedious, but simple.
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

4xC

If there's one reason why I hate CW1's Ix, it is that it is the only map I have not beaten with "Double Down" active.

P.S. For those who don't know, Loki is not only beatable with "Double Down" turned on, it is also beatable without the Thor DURING Double Down!
C,C,C,C

steelwing

I wouldn't say I hate these maps so much as they frustrate me severely.
From CW1:
1. Tucana.  You face a severe time crunch within in which you have to get to being able to support a pair of mortars.  It's doable, certainly, but you have to be quick.
2. Loki.  Overbuilding Gets Punished Severely. ;)
From CW2:
1. Sliver and Cooker.  Those maps will burn you fast.
2. Colony Prime.  I've never beaten it yet.
From CW3:
1. Farbor.  You know why. :P
2. Arca.  As with CW1/Loki. ;)

J

My most hated maps:
CW1: Loki
CW2: Exterminate!
CW3: Chanson/Arca

My favourite maps:
CW1: Tucana
CW2: Purpose
CW3: Farbor

Note that this is what I think now, not when I first played them.

Earlh21

I got stuck on Vapen, of all things, for quite a while. In CW2, I've never actually completed Colony Prime.

4xC

Well here's a tip for your future attempt on Colony Prime: don't hesitate to engage in a multi-front assault; the sooner you get to the bunkers, the better. (After all, you don't have to kill everything along the way; the objective says all you have to do to win is collect all the bunkers.)

As for Vapen, are you trying to win it with or without the Field Beam? There is a Steam achievement that requires you to win it without activating it (just take out the inhibitor without clearing the creeper around the Field Beam's power cells).

Maps I favor least in all 3 games (note: I am okay with rescue missions, but if it involves rescuing helpless innocents who can't put up a fight against enemies (and that take some blame for the conflict on account of naievity and/or pride in some way, I don't harbor positive feelings towards them):

CW1:

Corvus: It irritates me to have to rush all across the map to get the pods in time. (At least CW2 bunkers in Colony Prime can shoot 'em up before you have to help them after which you get some hefty resource bonuses.)

Tucana: As if energy production optimization were not enough, try beating it with Double Down (like I did)

CW2:

Horror: Essentially the same reasons as Corvus except for the resource bonuses which I appreciate.

The Tide: This level screams "big" from start to finish and it does not rub off on me positively (particularly the 750 HP Drone and the Creeper Shape-Spitting Fumarole right under the LS).

CW3:

Mistet: Even though the Singularity Weapon is said to be invaluable here, it's too expensive for me to try it out in a way that it will last long enough to keep incoming creeper at bay and still acquire upgrades.

Otrav: I never was a fan of pure uphill assaults in this series. (Then again, I never tried flyers here because I felt like they would be more time consuming).
C,C,C,C

kon

(Reply to the original post)
Tucana: It's hard, but it was my favourite map
Also pyxis is hard, but if you are enough fast to win before the wall...
Loki isn't hard without thor
Cw2:IDK I don't bought it
Cw3:
Yes, farbor..

steelwing

Quote from: 4xC on June 21, 2014, 01:15:40 PM
Well here's a tip for your future attempt on Colony Prime: don't hesitate to engage in a multi-front assault; the sooner you get to the bunkers, the better. (After all, you don't have to kill everything along the way; the objective says all you have to do to win is collect all the bunkers.)

[snip]

Otrav: I never was a fan of pure uphill assaults in this series. (Then again, I never tried flyers here because I felt like they would be more time consuming).

Any map with an inhibitor always makes me think of Ender's Game:  "The enemy's gate is down."

arandomhalo

Sorry J, but I have to put Super Tower on my most hated list.  Someone mentioned luck as an ingredient for frustration.  What I couldn't stand about that level is that you would struggle to get something stable, meaning something that would both shoot down all randomly-generated spores, snipe all randomly generated runners, not get too many units paralyzed by the runners, and recharge the stolen ammo in time to avoid digitalis overrun.  I'd know it's stable because it would survive a few revolutions of the tower in stasis.  But then I'd happen to run into a bad streak - a whole bunch of runners would quickly drop in just a way to wipe out everything.  I would save the game when things were good only to find often times that I saved right before a bad streak. 

The other ingredient for frustration - no upgrades.

That being said, the best part of that level was that it was super difficult.  Trial and error.  No margin to work with.  I painstakingly terp'd my way out of it - carved a level 1 moat around the outside so when I popped a runner, the resulting creeper explosion wouldn't be able to retaliate.

J

Quote from: arandomhalo on August 04, 2014, 10:08:30 AM
Sorry J, but I have to put Super Tower on my most hated list.  Someone mentioned luck as an ingredient for frustration.  What I couldn't stand about that level is that you would struggle to get something stable, meaning something that would both shoot down all randomly-generated spores, snipe all randomly generated runners, not get too many units paralyzed by the runners, and recharge the stolen ammo in time to avoid digitalis overrun.  I'd know it's stable because it would survive a few revolutions of the tower in stasis.  But then I'd happen to run into a bad streak - a whole bunch of runners would quickly drop in just a way to wipe out everything.  I would save the game when things were good only to find often times that I saved right before a bad streak.  

The other ingredient for frustration - no upgrades.

That being said, the best part of that level was that it was super difficult.  Trial and error.  No margin to work with.  I painstakingly terp'd my way out of it - carved a level 1 moat around the outside so when I popped a runner, the resulting creeper explosion wouldn't be able to retaliate.
No problem, was never really proud of that level anyways :P
It was made before the forge was in the game, so I couldn't add upgrades. The general idea was to kill it quickly so it doesn't grow stronger, but you must have a good reactor farm and a lot of beams before you can safely nullify it. Runners were only semi-random, their stats are based on the number of frames between them (more time -> more health ect), and a runner has a chance of 1 out of the total number of runners on the screen to be created. It was ok to complete it once, but even I won't do it again.

btw, post 211, which is a game!

4xC

"Ramdom Runners", J? Do you mean to say that your map had runners appearing at random times and with random stats or something like that?

Or am I missing something that I may have overlooked as the runners and nests nowadays have fixed spawning stats and healths?

BTW, arandomhalo, I take credit for coining the frustration associated with luck in VGs like this one.
C,C,C,C

J

Quote from: 4xC on August 14, 2014, 12:18:24 PM
"Ramdom Runners", J? Do you mean to say that your map had runners appearing at random times and with random stats or something like that?
We were talking about a custom map (Super Tower, alpha-J) that had a crpl core spawning runners (so not a standard runner nest). Their spawn times were random, but all other stats were fixed or based on their spawn time. And ofcourse I would never let luck be a huge factor in winning/losing :P