My opinion : people cheating with their game time are really a problem

Started by sabinou, November 18, 2013, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMag

Ban obvious cheaters from uploading their scores, delete their times and also ban them from the forum (if they are there). I hate cheaters that ruins a game where we all try our best and honest try to get the best time.

fractalman

While watching some vids, I saw a number of 000 times...does unity have any equivalent to the (usually blocked) flash cheating method of right-clicking and messing around with the back/forward options?

mrstarware

Here's a question. If every map has a unique identifier (hope it does). Then why not flag all scores (or maps atleast) with completion times of 45 seconds or less, and then see if its actually possible. Ie. Maybe there's a prebuilt nullifier or something. If there is, then 'unflag' the map, and if there isn't then all scores of 45 seconds or less are automatically rejected and the user asked to not submit cheat scores...?

asmussen

Because then 46 seconds would just become the new time submitted by the cheaters.
Shawn Asmussen

Lost in Nowhere

Don't die! :)

Ninja

Quote from: MadMag on November 22, 2013, 04:11:06 PM
Ban obvious cheaters from uploading their scores, delete their times and also ban them from the forum (if they are there). I hate cheaters that ruins a game where we all try our best and honest try to get the best time.
I agree completely with MadMag. Cheating on times should be a completely intolerable offense, and dealt with the most serious consequences. Some people work hard to get to the top on game scores, and then others come and ruin that by cheating.

Fisherck

Not that I want to bring this thread up again, but I managed to legitimately beat a cheater by a good 30 seconds on Chanson. That's always satisfying :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Alter Old

As usual, forgive for my English.

Clean0nion

Quote from: Fisherck on November 28, 2013, 11:48:06 AM
Not that I want to bring this thread up again, but I managed to legitimately beat a cheater by a good 30 seconds on Chanson. That's always satisfying :)
Problem: now we don't know who's cheating and who's not.

Ceraus

Quote from: Fisherck on November 28, 2013, 11:48:06 AMNot that I want to bring this thread up again, but I managed to legitimately beat a cheater by a good 30 seconds on Chanson. That's always satisfying :)

Boo-yah!

Loren Pechtel

I don't think low-res .jpgs are the way to go.

You could get more useful information by simply noting the position of every unit, snapshots every so often (but fairly frequently) during the game.  Always save the information, only transmit it if they're in the top 10.  Provide a system by which the saved information can be downloaded and replayed, if anything impossible is found in the replay you ban the key.

burguertime

Sorry, but how can a cheater ruin a game where you play by yourself?

Highscores and fast play are gold, and its fun and feels good to have a top 3 score, but, really?

The game feels the same to me with or without the cheaters.

I play against my score and against the scores of estabilished members. Nevermind I suck though, and my OCD really can't let me go faster than making a symettrical base.

I think people are going too far. If this was multiplayer PVP, maybe they would be a bother, but right now they are just the annoying cicada crying out of my window.

They are going to be around like forever, but I can go on and have my fun anyway.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Clean0nion

Quote from: burguertime on December 10, 2013, 04:36:11 PM
The game feels the same to me with or without the cheaters.
Honestly... I'd rather have cheaters than not.

Because I'm a terrible player (for time at least), if I see the highscores, I can think "All the people who beat me must be cheaters" and that at least encourages me somewhat to keep playing.

chwooly

I think there should actually be 2 times, Actual game time and Paused game time. I very rarely pause a game to set stuff up so my times are usually longer, I also tend to spend time terraforming when i could be killing emitters  ;D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Grauniad

Quote from: chwooly on December 27, 2013, 11:18:57 PM
I think there should actually be 2 times, Actual game time and Paused game time. I very rarely pause a game to set stuff up so my times are usually longer, I also tend to spend time terraforming when i could be killing emitters  ;D

Next you'll be asking for a time that excludes time spent terraforming, or time that the game was in saved state as well? :P
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon