Power Zones

Started by Dilnu, October 07, 2013, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilnu

Hi, I'm wondering what happens when a Forge or a Command Node is on a power zone. The wiki explains what happens for all the other structures. But it leaves these two unmentioned.

asmussen

Quote from: Dilnu on October 07, 2013, 07:37:43 PM
The wiki explains what happens for all the other structures.

Where? The table at http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw3:unit_data_overview has no data in the 'Power Zone effect' column.
Shawn Asmussen

Michionlion

"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

asmussen

Awesome, thanks! I was just looking for that info yesterday, but was looking in the unit overview table where that data hasn't been populated yet.
Shawn Asmussen

NFITC1

Quote from: Michionlion on October 07, 2013, 07:50:39 PM
http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=cw3:the_game

Some of this is wrong or perhaps the game has changed since it was written.

Connectors seem to get a 50% collection bonus per terrain unit. A normal collector can span a max of 109 units and a PZ collector can span 992 (yes, I counted :( ). Using the 0.0018 collection per unit rate a normal collector gets that puts the max of a PZ collector at +1.7856 ener/sec, but really gives +2.6784 ener/sec which puts its collection per unit rate at 0.0027. The wiki page makes no mention of this.
Reactors' output is x8, not x10. PZ reactors add +4 to energy production vs +0.5 normally.

The rest of it looks good.

Michionlion

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 10, 2013, 12:26:16 PM

Connectors seem to get a 50% collection bonus per terrain unit. A normal collector can span a max of 109 units and a PZ collector can span 992 (yes, I counted :( ). Using the 0.0018 collection per unit rate a normal collector gets that puts the max of a PZ collector at +1.7856 ener/sec, but really gives +2.6784 ener/sec which puts its collection per unit rate at 0.0027. The wiki page makes no mention of this.
Reactors' output is x8, not x10. PZ reactors add +4 to energy production vs +0.5 normally.

Well, it is a good thing we have a scientific verifier for this.  Thanks for catching those!

PS: Mind changing them?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

teknotiss

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 10, 2013, 12:26:16 PM

actually reactors produce 4 on a PZ, so it is x10. this came up in beta, the perception of .05 is because the CN's 1.5 base power suplly messes with the rounding.
the base reactor output is 0.4.

from the Beta thread a while ago
Quote from: virgilw on August 25, 2013, 04:28:33 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on August 25, 2013, 10:50:17 AM
quick question, what does a reactor on a PZ produce? and what's the reactors baseline production?
i had a search about the forum and the wiki but could see any numbers.
just not sure that the PZ's on a map i'm making are working when i build reactors on them.

The relevant constants:
private float ENERGY_PRODUCTION = 0.4f/30f;
private float PZ_ENERGY_PRODUCTION_MOD = 10;

So .4 and 4 it seems.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Cavemaniac

A Beta's thoughts on PZ use.

I almost always put my Bertha's on a PZ.

The triple shot does more damages, sure, but the real benefits are the faster rate of fire, lower consumption of energy per shot and the ability to store energy for two shots.

I charge one or more up and use them to clear an LZ for conventional forces, with the second shot in reserve for more creeper carnage goodness.

On really tight maps putting a reactor on a PZ makes a huge difference in the early stages - you get 10x the return. You can always destroy it once you've become better established and put something else there.

And of course, the Spore killing capabilities of a Beam have to be seen to be believed. I see elsewhere people asking how to survive Spore attacks - Beam on a CN, dude!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

NFITC1

Quote from: teknotiss on October 10, 2013, 12:44:08 PM
the base reactor output is 0.4
The relevant constants:
private float ENERGY_PRODUCTION = 0.4f/30f;
private float PZ_ENERGY_PRODUCTION_MOD = 10;

So .4 and 4 it seems.

Huh. I didn't notice that. Every time I've deactivated a single reactor in a chain of however many it always took off .5. I'm no stranger to rounding errors, but it seems strange that 1.5 + 0.4 could produce a 2.0 when the actual value is 1.9. Well that nullifies my issue with the reactor's entry. Then does the CN actually produce >1.5?

Quote from: Michionlion on October 10, 2013, 12:29:38 PM
Well, it is a good thing we have a scientific verifier for this.  Thanks for catching those!

PS: Mind changing them?

Done. Kept it short and sweet as well as consistent with the rest of the entries.

teknotiss

Quote from: NFITC1 on October 10, 2013, 01:12:15 PM
Then does the CN actually produce >1.5?

= to 1.5 as far as i know
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Cat

Without digging into code or counting, Forge on a PZ seems to increase the rate at which totems deliver aether, as even from a level one totem, I've seen aether packets travel in tandem to my PZ Forge.

Grayzzur

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 10, 2013, 01:02:59 PM
And of course, the Spore killing capabilities of a Beam have to be seen to be believed. I see elsewhere people asking how to survive Spore attacks - Beam on a CN, dude!
And a Beam doesn't need to hog the PZ all the time. You can have a Mortar or something else sitting on it most of the time with a Beam hanging out nearby, and swap them around when the spores launch. Handy if you don't quite have a good foothold yet.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

Asbestos

A CN on a Power Zone gets a lot more range than normal.