Custom Map #8897: map 1357 Yummy DMD. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, September 21, 2020, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8897: map 1357 Yummy DMD

Author: yum234
Size: 256x210

Desc:
Modified DMD map. Battle on Iselands with AoO logistics. Attention: very hard start. Important energy balance because after 5 min will be many many many evil spores. More DMD maps with AoO logistics you can find in DMD sector. Special thanks to Helper who also created in DMD several fascinating maps with lucky 777 totems! :) Enjoy and Good lu!

chaseshaw

I'm sorry but this is just level zero fun. at least make where we're supposed to start more clear and the objective more doable. pick what you want to onslaught the player with don't throw literally everything you can at them. I usually like hard maps but it shouldn't take 2 hours to die at the 5 min mark every time and then just give up and rate it 1 star...

Helper

Having lots of fun with this, but it is really making me think - which is a bridge too far after ingesting some of that hops liquid.
I'll be back in the morning and get back at it.
Thanks for the kudos.
H

chaseshaw

let me know when you get it, Im 2 hours in and just frustrated

Helper

Sure.
I think this is an OK starting position, but the bad guys do start coming real quickly.
The bugs are fat with Creeper, so when you deploy your Snipers, you'll need Mortars and Cannons to clean up the mess.
I'm calling it a night, but will be back in the a.m.
H

chaseshaw

I give up it's not possible. he says "the first five minutes are hard" I'll bet having never actually attempted it as a player

if the creeper was half as much it'd work

if the aerial assault was half as much it'd work

if there were double the energy packets it'd work

not as is, not by a long shot

TrickyPlayer

Quote from: chaseshaw on September 21, 2020, 08:04:52 PM
I give up it's not possible. he says "the first five minutes are hard" I'll bet having never actually attempted it as a player

if there were double the energy packets it'd work

Challenge accepted
When you want an explanation for something I use in my levels, or if you want to suggest something, feel free to tell me. Just don't ask/suggest things every other day please :P

Helper

Just as an FYI, all map makers must complete the map and post a score before they can upload it.

With 102 downloads and only 6 completions (scores), this is clearly one of the tougher games to complete.

Someone will post some "Spoilers" here in a day or two, so just keep watch.
H

D0m0nik

My two main tips for these AoA maps are:
Spoiler
You can land a guppy in creeper to retrieve an artifact
[close]
Spoiler
You can often drop a convert and a freeze and land more than one guppies. Pick your spot carefully and you can collect an artifact and take out a good number of stuff. With upgrades you have tme to take out a spore and use the power zone to clear a larger area
[close]
Diesel and Fireswamp among others can destroy my time on this quite easily, there is so much scope on these maps for multitasking, they are my favourites.
If you are stuggling to get started on this map you need to start using the pause button and ensure you are always biulding at the very limit of your energy reserves without tipping into the red.

Helper

@D0m0nik,
Our first 7 seconds matched up about exactly...then the real game began.
Great multi-tasking and the AoO comments should help. I've never really learned how to play them - especially with the Guppies.
Good stuff!
H

stdout

10/10 map. I played for fun and ended just under an hour. I'll be replaying this one again "for real" to try to get a better score.

yum-forum

Quote from: stdout on September 22, 2020, 11:47:55 AM
10/10 map. I played for fun and ended just under an hour. I'll be replaying this one again "for real" to try to get a better score.

Very glad, my Sensei!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

marvinitfox

The only real problem is getting enough packets to your beams to keep them fed. This is solvable by having more beams.
Spoiler

Here is me at about to 10minute mark (10:06 to be precise)

Note that I am already starting to take out some of the closer emitters.
Note the use of guppy-powered remote beam batteries to help winnow down the flood of spores.
In this screenshot my power is quite negative, but that's because the guppies just took off and their bases are refilling. Normal at this point is more like -10 power.

Very early game was just building power, neutralizing the stuff on home island, and putting power reactors on the PZs.
With this vastly improved power, terped the whole island into a nice grid structure, suitable for either reactors or beams.
Then reconverted the PZ to beams, to stem the oncoming hordes.
[close]
In this state I am more-or-less stable, holding the enemy at bay with no losses.
Meanwhile, I am gathering science to research better power and faster packets at the forge, so pretty soon I will have the elbow room needed to flourish.

chaseshaw

I see several ways forward once you've gotten foothold, the problem is the 5 minute mark, what did your base look like right during that initial barrage?

Helper

Quote from: chaseshaw on September 24, 2020, 12:04:02 AM
I see several ways forward once you've gotten foothold, the problem is the 5 minute mark, what did your base look like right during that initial barrage?

The middle picture posted by D0m0nik is at the 4:24 mark.
H