Custom Map: Nice Job 23: The Train Driver

Started by AutoPost, July 02, 2010, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 23: The Train Driver

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
My last geographical map in the Nice Job series. You'll have to figured out how to accomplish a save initial position. Every lake, sea and ocean will start filling up after 1 second, except for the tiny lake in the heart of China which will start after 1 minute to give you some extra time.

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 23: The Train Driver
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
My last geographical map in the Nice Job series. You'll have to figured out how to accomplish a save initial position. Every lake, sea and ocean will start filling up after 1 second, except for the tiny lake in the heart of China which will start after 1 minute to give you some extra time.

Description:
Why not the longest railway in the world? This is what you asked yourself when you applied for a job as train driver on the Trans-Siberian Express.

The Russian railway actually consists out of 5 main lines:
- Trans-Siberian line (northern route to Vladivostok)
- Ural line (southern route to Vladivostok)
- Baikal Amur line (a strategic alternative to the Trans-Siberian line)
- Trans-Mongolian line (via Mongolia to Beijing)
- Trans-Manchurian line (via Manchuria to Beijing)

Please make sure each line makes a stopover at the desired locations. These include historic places like: Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Perm, Omsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and Ulanbator.

Unfortunately the drone tech got stuck in the permafrost of northern Siberia, so it will take some effort to obtain it.

Download page:
Nice Job 23: The Train Driver
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

F0R

23mins if my first few reactors didnt blow up i might of beaten you =) nice job

UpperKEES

Thanks F0R!

Yeah, I know my time isn't very good, so I'm sure it will be beaten. Gives me a nice change to improve myself and get this map in the 15-20 minutes range.

I won't be around tomorrow, so I'll have a look Sunday how hard I'll have to work to get my #1 spot back. :P

snowmaker (JM)

Your turn  ;)  Again, (hard to change habits) I wasn't patient enough so a better time will come. I had a good start to get those four close techs.

Toaster

Great Map! Tough to play your maps for me, But I enjoyed this one.

Fisherck

16:13, not a bad time. Though, I can not wait to see what UpperKEES will get.

The first time I played I got slowed down because I did not build enough reactors.
The depletion hit me hard at the end. The second time I found the amount of energy
I needed to be about 15. That allowed me to attack the Creeper on two fronts.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

NNR_Alex

well after seeing 22 scores i knew i could beat this, only had to restart once, man that start up is rough and scary.

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on July 03, 2010, 11:20:03 AM
Your turn  ;)  Again, (hard to change habits) I wasn't patient enough so a better time will come. I had a good start to get those four close techs.

Ah, you went for the mortar as well? I've not tried that myself yet, so maybe I should.

Quote from: Toaster on July 03, 2010, 02:24:17 PM
Great Map! Tough to play your maps for me, But I enjoyed this one.

Thanks Toaster!

Quote from: Fisherck on July 05, 2010, 10:37:32 AM
16:13, not a bad time. Though, I can not wait to see what UpperKEES will get.

The first time I played I got slowed down because I did not build enough reactors.
The depletion hit me hard at the end. The second time I found the amount of energy
I needed to be about 15. That allowed me to attack the Creeper on two fronts.

Not a bad time at all! I'll have to work hard to beat that one. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow for a new run.

Quote from: NNR_Alex on July 06, 2010, 01:35:59 AM
well after seeing 22 scores i knew i could beat this, only had to restart once, man that start up is rough and scary.

Yeah, 23 scores now is quite a lot. The start up maybe a bit rough, but once you know where the creeper flows (and where not) you should be able to pick that safe spot.

Miss Melissa

had to change my tactics a bit the second time around, but i didnt mind replaying it.. it was fun, and the creeper wasnt that strong.
well done!

UpperKEES

Thanks Melissa! :)

I didn't mind replaying either. :P I knew I made some mistakes when improving my score yesterday, but didn't have time to replay, so I just submitted. I think there's still room to improve about 1 minute.

DethbyIT

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 02, 2010, 11:47:18 PM
Gives me a nice change to improve myself and get this map in the 15-20 minutes range.

I made the "20" range, but I can't see how I can take more than a few seconds off.
Great game.
Thanks,
dbit

UpperKEES

Quote from: DethbyIT on January 03, 2011, 05:25:47 PM
I made the "20" range, but I can't see how I can take more than a few seconds off.

Spoiler
- Picking up the mortar tech (+ upgrade) first is what helped me improve.
[close]

Spoiler
- Pick up some more tech (+ upgrades) as soon as possible.
[close]

Spoiler
- Build as much reactors as your limited space allows.
[close]

Spoiler
- Don't fight creeper that isn't a direct threat.
[close]

Spoiler
- Build some blasters in advance before engaging the creeper.
[close]