Nice Job, Hard Art & Quagmire Quest - Three map series by UpperKEES

Started by UpperKEES, April 01, 2010, 03:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIFFEN

He he you didnt say witch tuesday and/or you did'nt manage to post an score for the map .
But is it only me who miss your custom maps , i dont think so =)

This is just an reminder , not an nag post , been waiting for some weeks now ;)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Yeah, I was busy with other things and the weekly Chronom tournament also took some time. Besides that the queue of submitted maps was rather long and I don't like waiting before I can add my description. ;)

Tonight could be the moment though....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 6: The Screams.

Click the link above to play, or see the 126th post of this topic for more details.

Credits to Spiffen for suggesting this painting!

SPIFFEN

Nice =) and dont forget to post in the comments as you have done before =)
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Thanks and done! :)

Edit: oops, forgot to give Spiffen the credits for suggesting this painting. Corrected that.

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 7: Blue Studies.

Click the link above to play, or see the 126th post of this topic for more details.

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 8: Mooon.

Kamron3

What about the endless stairs by that MC Escher dude?

UpperKEES

I have already done 3 works of him, but the next map (Hard Art 9: Firebirds, the last one of this series) will be a remake of a drawing by him: Nice Job 22: The Artist, that turned out a bit easier than expected. Which is rare by the way, as it is often the other way around. ;)

I love those endless stairs though! :)

UpperKEES

I've added a new map, Hard Art 9: Firebirds.

UpperKEES

Title:
Quagmire Quest 1: The Golden Maze
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land & air
Remarks:
This is part 1 of the Quagmire Quest: a series of Expert Only maps that will all feature a combination of new game mechanics, tough battles and a puzzle element. Only suitable for all-rounders!

The Minotaur of this crazoniumless maze was replaced by the Creeper. And worse: you can only build SAMs!

Description:
The Quagmire Quest will lead you through various Creeper invested wetlands to the sacred grounds where your final task will await.

The golden maze gives and the golden maze takes. It will give you enough blasters to reach every corner, but it will take them back just as easily when you fail. Losing more than one blaster will probably mean the end of your mission, so save them quickly when something goes wrong.

Some advise:
- Deep is deeper; high is higher.
- Too far or too close; both are just as bad.
- Have a look at the map comments for more tips and don't hesitate to ask for one yourself.

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 1: The Golden Maze

Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

Title:
Quagmire Quest 2: The Busted Bunker
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Today you'll need some special purpose ammunition to be able to bust a heavily armored bunker. First however, you have to obtain the weapons to fire this ammo.

This map requires both thinking and fighting. A hard puzzle that allows you to use the game mechanics to your advantage in an unusual way. The sequence in which you execute your plan will determine whether you fail or succeed. Time is not important; it's all about escaping alive!

Description:
You just entered a military domain, currently occupied by the Creeper. The totems and available weapons are heavily guarded. Will it be possible to get out of here?

There's one bright side however: the two only survivors were able to lock themselves out with 4 techs and 2 blasters. Get these and you may be able to survive.

Unfortunately the bunker is made of plate steel and massive concrete, so you'll need a kind of ammunition that is able to penetrate through the walls.

Some advise:
- You can only blow the bunker when you don't blow your upgrades.
- Sometimes you have to be fast; sometimes you have to be patient.
- You may have to build something to break it down later on....
- You only have 8 weapons; lose one of them and you're stuck forever!
- This map is not about setting the best time; it's about being able to solve it.
- Have a look at the map comments for more tips and don't hesitate to ask for one yourself. I would appreciate it when you don't post hints and clues for this map yourself however! This is intended to be a hard puzzle that you probably won't solve on your first try. Spoilers will ruin the fun for others, so please demonstrate your intelligence by just posting your score. Thanks!

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 2: The Busted Bunker

Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

Title:
Quagmire Quest 3: The Dabbed Dam
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land & air
Remarks:
The dam is breaking and you are trapped at the banks of the lake.

Help is on its way however: friendly creeper is coming to your rescue!

CW2 game mechanics now available for CW1!

Description:
Today Odin City is trapped at the banks of a giant lake. It seems there aren't many places to go where you are save, so you'll have to work your way out of there.

On the other side of the dam the creeper levels rise fast. Every two and a half minutes an enormous gush of creeper will be flowing towards the dam, so it won't hold for ever. Small amounts of creeper already pass the dam where once water was used to generate electricity.

Unexpected help is on its way however! A rebellious bunch of spores has chosen your side and turned themselves into friendly dabs. These dabs will release super soaking creeper sponges. Each sponge is able to suck up a huge amount of creeper.

Although they are limited in numbers, they are very determined to help you out of here. They synchronized their flight schedule with the creeper eruptions to compensate for them:

8 friendly dabs will arrive after 2.5 minutes
6 friendly dabs will arrive after 5 minutes
4 friendly dabs will arrive after 7.5 minutes
2 friendly dabs will arrive after 10 minutes

There's just one drawback: the dabs have to be guided where to drop their sponges. This is why 8 beacons protect the dam. The beacons can withstand the creeper for quite a while, but after every gush 2 of them will break down.

I sure hope you will be able to use them to your advantage, because the dabs will definitely save you minutes of time!

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 3: The Dabbed Dam

Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

Title:
Quagmire Quest 4: The Twin Gates
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land & air
Remarks:
Creeper attacking from two sides. Eight emitters to be capped. Only six blasters available. How are you going to handle that?

Description:
The true battle between good and evil begins!

Surrounded by evil creeper Odin City seems lost. There's no safe place, so it seems you can only defend yourself.

But how to defend yourself without the ability to build weapons? How to cap 8 emitters with only 6 blasters?

The answer is simple: rely on the friendly spores and use them to your advantage! They can not only hold back the evil creeper, but they are also capable of capping emitters for you! How? That's for you to find out....

Hundred friendly spores will arrive after:
- 10 seconds
- 3 minutes
- 2.5 minutes
- 2 minutes
- 1.5 minutes
- 1 minute (repeating)

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 4: The Twin Gates

Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

UpperKEES

Title:
Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land
Remarks:
This rather hard puzzle map will require you to build CERN's Large Hadron Collider. You'll need this particle accelerator to be able to build the only super weapon capable of stopping the Creeper.

Many thanks to MadMag for creating the magnificent graphics!

Description:
The Creeper finally realized humans are a severe threat to its existence, so it decided to destroy our main research facility, because it brings us close to understanding the universe.... and the Creeper.

The CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), located in the Swiss Alps, has built the LHC (Large Hadron Collider). With a length of 26.7 kilometer this particle accelerator is the largest machine in the world. A few facts:

- More than 10,000 tonnes of liquid nitrogen and helium are used to bring the temperature down to -271.3 degrees Celcius (1.9 K), making it colder than outer space.

- Trillions of protons race around the LHC accelerator in 2 directions, travelling at 99.9999991% of the speed of light.

- When 2 beams of protons collide, temperatures 100,000 times hotter than the heart of our Sun are generated.

The LHC experiments will hopefully answers questions like:
- What gives matter its mass?
- What is the invisible 96% of the universe made off?
- Why does nature prefer matter to antimatter?
- How did matter evolve from the first instants of the universe's existence?

Unfortunately the Creeper doesn't want us to use this useful research data against it and tries to prevent scientists from finishing the LHC.

The scientists in their turn have designed a super weapon, called Thor, but they need the LHC to be able to build it at the right moment. Can you help them out?

Please note this is a very hard puzzle map. When you can't figure it all out by yourself, have a look at the tips and hints in the map comments at the KnuckleCracker forums.

Also note that my other maps are easier and require more fighting. Good luck!

Download page:
Quagmire Quest 5: The CERN Concern

Comments page:
Comment here please

Full size screen shot:

UpperKEES

The next map series has started! :)

I've added the first map, Quagmire Quest 1: The Golden Maze.

Click the link above to play, or see post 145 of this topic for more details.

Koolvin

Bored to death was hard to give up on, damn creeper took out 2/3's of my reactors, after I took over half the damn map.

Definitely going to play again in the future.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Koolvin on November 30, 2010, 02:59:20 PM
Bored to death was hard to give up on, damn creeper took out 2/3's of my reactors, after I took over half the damn map.

Definitely going to play again in the future.

Thanks Koolvin! :)

But please note that you won't be able to finish the map with 'normal' gameplay (see the comments for that). Better have a look in the map editor and study it a bit if you insist on finishing it.

I recommend to play some of my other maps though! They're much more interesting.