Custom Map #763: The Creeper God (part 2)

Started by AutoPost, January 30, 2012, 10:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #763: The Creeper God (part 2)

Author: Narcosis

Desc:
Loki isn't finished yet. Use everything you know about Creeper World, for only a true master can win this.(I went overboard with this one (if your wondering how much, I used more than 120 fields.) So here are a few hints. The drones are slowed down slightly from my previous map, there's a micro rift in the upper left corner (the part thats normaly covered by the stats bar), the eye lasers are fueled by the creeper in the eyes, eyes are separate from body and do not get restocked.)

Ebon Heart

Congratulations, you managed to completely baffle the MapMod community with this beast. lmao. You have to remember, with random fields like this... The map is much easier for the person who made the map. I'm afraid th balance with this map is rather poor. But if a very challenging map is what you were going for, you did great. Ignore the thumbs down from the newbs who try the map once and get upset when they die. Keep up the good work!
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

SmileyCoder

This reminds of those platform games where spikes appear out of nowhere, only when you walk on them. The intention of those games were to die every 10 steps and then try to make the player remember all the locations of the random spikes.

The game seems to me, to be too "random". I got tired after 5 attempts, of trying to guess the next move. Its not so much about strategy as it is about playing "guess the creeper".
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Ebon Heart

There's some strategy involved, and if you can't adapt to the attacks, you can always load the map in the editor to get a glimpse into the future.
Also, just because I'm bored, here's a soundtrack I think goes well with the map. http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=bYI9B80sHU4 (It's what I'm listening to while playing the map) lol. I'll try to post some form of guide soon.

Ebon Heart

Attacks
Barrier: The first thing you'll notice is at 1 minute, the boss will start adding to its defensive perimeter, adding creeper once every 1 minute 20 seconds.

LS blocker:At roughly 2 minutes 28 seconds, a wall will form around your LS, which will stay for about 12 seconds before turning off, and returning with more creeper in a few frames. Use some shields to mostly block this, but there will still be a few subcells of creeper you'll have to destroy on your own.

Spill Attack: At 3 minutes and 30 seconds, the boss will teleport some creeper into the beam contraption located on its left. (there's only one of them) It will then continue to teleport creeper to this spot every 5 minutes.

Beam: At roughly 4 minutes 23 seconds, the boss starts charging a ball between its hands. It charges for about 7 seconds, and fires a beam straight down at 4 minutes 30 seconds. This attack sequence is repeated every 5 minutes. (A note on the beam, the beam does not actually come from the charged ball in between its hands, it actually comes from a point in the monsters body. Shielding it off so that he can't charge the ball in between his hands does not stop the beam, as I had presumed it would)

Spread Attack: At 5 minutes 30 seconds, several small balls of creeper will be teleported in a line. These balls will float for 2 seconds before dispanding. This attack is repeated every 5 minutes 30 seconds.

Creeper Wave: At a little after 12 minutes 50 seconds, the creeper god launches 2 waves of creeper from its two shoulder decoration things. This repeats every 5 minutes.

DIE! Charge attack: At roughly 12 minutes 55 seconds, the creeper god will shout, "DIE!" Then charge up a ton of creeper in one subcell. After about 2 seconds, it releases the charged ball. This repeats every 5 minutes.

Drones and Phantoms

At 5 minutes, you will meet a 100 health drone with no payload.
One minute later, you will meet a 100 health drone with 30,000 payload.
A minute after that, you'll be assaulted by the same thing... but nearly twice as fast. After this, every minute on the minute, be ready to fight off a 100 health drone with 30,000 payload and 1.8 speed.

Phantom delays: 1 minute, 1 phantom. 1 minute 5 phantoms. 53 seconds, 7 phantoms. 30 seconds, 12 phantoms. 30 seconds, 20 phantoms(loop). Please note, the wave that loops has a payload of 1,500,000, as opposed to the normal 50,000.

Hope this helps!

Kithros

Quote from: Ebon Heart on January 30, 2012, 04:20:05 PM
There's some strategy involved, and if you can't adapt to the attacks, you can always load the map in the editor to get a glimpse into the future.
Also, just because I'm bored, here's a soundtrack I think goes well with the map. http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=bYI9B80sHU4 (It's what I'm listening to while playing the map) lol. I'll try to post some form of guide soon.

Quite frankly, if a map requires or even gives a very significant advantage to looking it in the editor before playing, then it is a poorly designed map. I'm not going to bother looking through the fields in the editor just to be able to play a map properly.

EDIT: Not to mention that after looking at the map - this map looks like a huge slog to finish after you've successfully defended yourself.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kithros on January 30, 2012, 06:43:58 PM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on January 30, 2012, 04:20:05 PM

Quite frankly, if a map requires or even gives a very significant advantage to looking it in the editor before playing, then it is a poorly designed map. I'm not going to bother looking through the fields in the editor just to be able to play a map properly.

EDIT: Not to mention that after looking at the map - this map looks like a huge slog to finish after you've successfully defended yourself.
not necessarily. I made a post about it in mapmod, it's actually quite easy. :P

DethbyIT

I agree entirely with the comment about not playing maps that take an analyzation with the Map Editor in order to win.

There may well be lots of players who like to do that, but obviously not the majority.

If there were actually any fun parts to this game, I might be inclined to give it a serious try - but when it takes the map maker over an hour to complete, and (so far) an average time of 90 minutes - it is best for me to just move on and find another that I can enjoy.

As far as the "it's actually quite easy." comment...we'll wait until we see some more scores.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: DethbyIT on January 30, 2012, 08:11:35 PM
I agree entirely with the comment about not playing maps that take an analyzation with the Map Editor in order to win.

There may well be lots of players who like to do that, but obviously not the majority.

If there were actually any fun parts to this game, I might be inclined to give it a serious try - but when it takes the map maker over an hour to complete, and (so far) an average time of 90 minutes - it is best for me to just move on and find another that I can enjoy.

As far as the "it's actually quite easy." comment...we'll wait until we see some more scores.
I bet I can finish it in under 10 minutes. Right after I finish my english assignment. (guess which statement here is more unlikely)

snowmaker (JM)

ugh..... so many shields had to be made to stop the randomness... half my board was filled. This isn't a board I will try again.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on January 30, 2012, 08:58:02 PM
ugh..... so many shields had to be made to stop the randomness... half my board was filled. This isn't a board I will try again.
it shouldn't take that many shields... it only requires 11 shields. 17 if you  include shields to stop the beam, actually. To the author of this map: I would suggest giving more a warning between attacks. 2 seconds isn't enough time to react to an attack. I like how you warned of the beam and the DIE thing, but the rest of the time stuff just comes out of nowhere.

snowmaker (JM)

Quote from: Ebon Heart on January 30, 2012, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on January 30, 2012, 08:58:02 PM
it shouldn't take that many shields... it only requires 11 shields. 17 if you  include shields to stop the beam, actually. To the author of this map: I would suggest giving more a warning between attacks. 2 seconds isn't enough time to react to an attack. I like how you warned of the beam and the DIE thing, but the rest of the time stuff just comes out of nowhere.

I know ... but because of the amount of fields, I wasn't willing to find out exactly where they would pop up.

Ebon Heart

I guess the big question on this map is: Do you want to take a normal approach, or a scientific approach?

snowmaker (JM)

lol.... that's why I have students... to let them try things out ;) I wish I had a nuclear bomb to use for this map.

hainsay

First thought:  Why am I killing a uterus?