Custom Map #270: The Hotel

Started by AutoPost, October 04, 2011, 07:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #270: The Hotel

Author: F0R

Desc:
The Hotel is infested with creeper, Can you fight it off and protect the hotel?

fitz

A fun map

Note to self: Always check whether you have experimentals before you slog half way around a map wondering how others managed to get such fast times. Am I the only person that has this problem?

The Gas Man !!!

J

Colin

Well done F0R! I'm always surprised how little
much fields make a map harder even with low
intensity Creeper.
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

F0R

Yep the idea of it was you would have to have a strong amount of firepower to kill the field. This was to stop you building in the middle.

Kithros

Interesting map, though the unlimited conversion bombs more or less trivialized using any other weapon; I only built 1 blaster (to clear up the top-right corner), and 2 repulsors to defend, and then I did the rest with conversion bombs. Using a wall of shields to block the creeper square on the right side made it pretty easy to advance on both sides at once - on the right side I sent 6 conversion bombs at a time to take out the middle and 4 rooms at once, and rebuilt a layer of shields as far down as I could, then repeated until I got to the bottom. On the left side the creeper square only pushed the creeper farther down (since no creeper got through the right side), so it was pretty straightforward just sending conversion bombs everywhere on that side. The high densities at the bottom didn't matter at all because conversion bombs are just as good against any density.

I think the map would be a lot more interesting without conversion bombs or with a build limit on them, though that might make it a bit difficult for the average player unless other aspects were toned down I suppose.

F0R

Quote from: Kithros on October 04, 2011, 10:23:57 PM
Interesting map, though the unlimited conversion bombs more or less trivialized using any other weapon; I only built 1 blaster (to clear up the top-right corner), and 2 repulsors to defend, and then I did the rest with conversion bombs. Using a wall of shields to block the creeper square on the right side made it pretty easy to advance on both sides at once - on the right side I sent 6 conversion bombs at a time to take out the middle and 4 rooms at once, and rebuilt a layer of shields as far down as I could, then repeated until I got to the bottom. On the left side the creeper square only pushed the creeper farther down (since no creeper got through the right side), so it was pretty straightforward just sending conversion bombs everywhere on that side. The high densities at the bottom didn't matter at all because conversion bombs are just as good against any density.

I think the map would be a lot more interesting without conversion bombs or with a build limit on them, though that might make it a bit difficult for the average player unless other aspects were toned down I suppose.

I just found out about conversion bombs recently so i didn't know how some people used them. I should of put a limit of c-bomb, aorund 4 or 5 im guessing and it would be tighter. Congrats on your score.

Cavemaniac

I loved this map!

It's what I was trying to achieve with my map 'Unfinished Business'...

Quote from: F0R on October 04, 2011, 11:34:38 PM

I just found out about conversion bombs recently so i didn't know how some people used them. I should of put a limit of c-bomb, around 4 or 5 im guessing and it would be tighter.

...however, I was criticized for placing an 'artificial limit' on C-Bombs..!

You can never tell what people will like!

Just keep making maps the way you like 'em, and other like-minded people will like 'em too.

Congrats on a great map.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: fitz on October 04, 2011, 09:14:53 AM

Note to self: Always check whether you have experimentals before you slog half way around a map wondering how others managed to get such fast times. Am I the only person that has this problem?

Oh - thank goodness!

I thought I was the only muppet who did that!!

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 07, 2011, 02:59:57 PM

I loved this map!

It's what I was trying to achieve with my map 'Unfinished Business'...

Quote from: F0R on October 04, 2011, 11:34:38 PM

I just found out about conversion bombs recently so i didn't know how some people used them. I should of put a limit of c-bomb, around 4 or 5 im guessing and it would be tighter.

...however, I was criticized for placing an 'artificial limit' on C-Bombs..!

You can never tell what people will like!

Just keep making maps the way you like 'em, and other like-minded people will like 'em too.

Congrats on a great map.

Yeah, people have different tastes of maps - personally I hate unrestricted experimentals because they can deal with any amount of creeper without any difficulty, and they usually make it pointless using any other weapons. Making a map actually hard without any limitations on experimentals will almost certainly result in a very annoying map that can only be beaten through very tedious tactics, or a map that will be over within the first minute one way or another - but if one isn't aiming for a difficult map it's usually a moot point.

Cavemaniac

Dude!

I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I'm still loving your map - I've replayed it several times now and finally got the fastest time/high score.

Let's see how long I stay there!

It's the perfect balance of a perilous start, resource management. a choice of ways to victory and increasing pressure as time goes by - all wrapped up in the glorious sound of C-Bombs detonating!

Make more maps like this!

teknotiss

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 07, 2011, 03:01:41 PM
Quote from: fitz on October 04, 2011, 09:14:53 AM

Oh - thank goodness!

I thought I was the only muppet who did that!!

lol me too.  ;D

loved this map, and i'd nearly forgotten about it. i'm off to redownload and replay it now. wonder if i'll do better this time

edit: just checked my previous score "66   teknotiss   7749   44 min 21.1 sec" tragic! must do better
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on June 11, 2012, 05:10:49 PM

Dude!

I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I'm still loving your map - I've replayed it several times now and finally got the fastest time/high score.

Let's see how long I stay there!
Not very long  :P

Helper

Quote from: Kithros on June 12, 2012, 01:28:23 AM
Not very long  :P

:o
At your time, I'm still building Reactors...
Gotta find a different method.