Linux and OS X users

Started by knucracker, September 15, 2016, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

If you are running Particle Fleet on an OS other than windows (that would be OS X or Linux), I'd like to hear from you.

If everything is fine, just post and let me know your OS (and a tad about your hardware) and say "It's working with no problems".

And if you can't get it to run, I really want to know about that. :)

These are the requirements:
Linux:
OpenGL3.2 or higher.  If you are running linux in a virtual machine, you might not have a driver that is 3.2 or higher.  This can cause the game to not start on linux.
I've tested on Ubuntu 12.04+

OSX:
OSX 10.9+.  Again with opengl3.2 or later.  The opengl version isn't really a problem on OSX, though.
If you are running the non steam version of the game, you will need to temporarily allow gatekeeper to run the game.
If you have a multi monitor setup, the game will crash on start.  Unplug a monitor and it will start. This is a developing issue, so more soon...

steelwing

Linux user here.  Everything's 8).

knucracker

For linux people... keep an eye out for vertical lines that appear.  They show up only at certain zoom notches and only at certain map pan positions.  If you ever see them, let me know.  I know planetfall sees them, so my expectation is they will show up for others.

jaworeq

Bit offtopic, since I'm on win7, but I saw flickering of inactive enemy struct. Screenshots below. Zoom level is the same for both screenshots, I'm just moving map left-right. During continuous map movement it can flicker a lot. Or not at all.

knucracker

Yeah, that's a pixel alignment issue at a given resolution.  A similar thing happens on the aim line from a grabber.  You normally it at white, but it can appear gray.  The texture for that line is white with gray edges, so depending on the zoom and the exact placement, the GPU does it's best to interpolate what color to show. The struc patter is similar.  It gets 'small' when you zoom it out and it also has a border to make it show up against different colored things.

I may be able to adjust it so it is less severe, but at least it isn't a fundamental GPU or platform issue.  It's actually working 'correctly' if you see that (everyone else will observe it too).

AJKS

Just joined so please excuse a newbie question: How do I get the Mac beta?

steelwing

Quote from: virgilw on September 15, 2016, 08:49:34 AM
For linux people... keep an eye out for vertical lines that appear.  They show up only at certain zoom notches and only at certain map pan positions.  If you ever see them, let me know.  I know planetfall sees them, so my expectation is they will show up for others.
Haven't seen them yet, but will watch out.  Every so often, I've noticed that the the aiming line for grabbers disappears at vertical or horizontal rotation.

SuperTerminator

Once I can get arch linux installed and running on my laptop I'll be checking. Gotta learn a lot of command line and OS configuration junk first Q_Q
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

SuperTerminator

So I've just got Arch Linux running on my laptop, but for now I'm unable to play the steam linux version because steam will take waaay too much effort to get running since arch linux has major mental issues with doing things the easy way.  (look at attached photo). I'll try to figure out how to get it running tomorrow, though if it doesn't I might install fedora or straight up debian.
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

steelwing

Quote from: SuperTerminator on September 15, 2016, 11:42:51 PM
So I've just got Arch Linux running on my laptop, but for now I'm unable to play the steam linux version because steam will take waaay too much effort to get running since arch linux has major mental issues with doing things the easy way.  (look at attached photo). I'll try to figure out how to get it running tomorrow, though if it doesn't I might install fedora or straight up debian.
There is a steam package in Arch's repository.  Installing that should take care of the dependencies, as long as you have multilib enabled.

SuperTerminator

Quote from: steelwing on September 16, 2016, 08:13:35 AM
Quote from: SuperTerminator on September 15, 2016, 11:42:51 PM
There is a steam package in Arch's repository.  Installing that should take care of the dependencies, as long as you have multilib enabled.
Thanks, configuring that now. Should be smooth sailing as soon as I get a couple other minor things straightened out.

steelwing

No prob.  I'm currently on OpenSUSE and have been looking at switching to Arch, so I've done a fair bit of research on what I'll have to do to get it working for me.  Looks like it'll be a...fun and interesting experience. :D

UncleBod

Got it running under Kubuntu16.4. 32 bit
I have a problem with the Story missions.
I get no help texts in the Naviety mission.
It starts, I place the Corporate HQ and an Omni, but then I can go no longer.
Not even after removing the installation and cleaning the
~/.local/share/knucklecracker/particlefleet directory.

/UncleBod
-Confused-

knucracker

Take a look in the log after running the game to see if it is complaining about anything...
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

SuperTerminator

Quote from: virgilw on September 17, 2016, 09:34:02 AM
Take a look in the log after running the game to see if it is complaining about anything...
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

Would running steam and by extention the game from the command line print any errors to the terminal or is it only to the log file?