Transparent Creeper?

Started by bioemerl, May 19, 2011, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioemerl

In CW1 the creeper was transparent.  in 2 its opaque, is it possible to return transparency?

knucracker

The transparency in CW1 was very helpful so you could see the underlying terrain and get a sense of thickness.  In CW2 it is less important since the absolute shade of the Creeper is an indicator of density.  It would also only really matter when creeper is above the surface (where this is an image background).  Below ground, transparency would just show through to the dark gray background and make the creeper appear dimmer.

The other reason to not do it (the real reason), is the game gets much better performance when blitting opaque creeper than transparent creeper.

bioemerl

Yeah i figured that it would have performance issues in the end.  I  just liked the transparent look a little better than i like the opaque look.

Thanks for the reply.

thepenguin

custom map option?

variable color and opacity?

:)
We have become the creeper...

Fisherck

Quote from: thepenguin on May 20, 2011, 09:06:43 PM
custom map option?

Variable color would be nice, but now we are getting back into the to confusing map editor with the opacity. No reason to make it more confusing than it needs to be.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

thepenguin

Quote from: Fisherck on May 20, 2011, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on May 20, 2011, 09:06:43 PM
custom map option?

Variable color would be nice, but now we are getting back into the to confusing map editor with the opacity. No reason to make it more confusing than it needs to be.

I think I'd have to see the editor before I can say its too confusing

variable transparency would be so cool! (invlisible good creeper :P)

Sqaz

Quote from: thepenguin on May 21, 2011, 06:48:33 AM

Oh no, I'm sure I'd hate any map that'd feature invisible creepert in it.

thepenguin

Quote from: Sqaz on May 21, 2011, 07:22:52 AM
Quote from: thepenguin on May 21, 2011, 06:48:33 AM

only invisible greeper

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Grauniad

Quote from: Sqaz on May 21, 2011, 07:22:52 AM

Hate it or love it. I am pretty sure there are going to be a huge lot of awful map released for CW2, maps that can only be won in ways that I don't like, that uses some of the many features in very annoying ways. All that assures me is that no map author will be able to upload a map without first having beaten it. Then I'm hoping that some portion of the maps will be as fun as the Story and Bonus missions have shown us maps can be.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grauniad on May 21, 2011, 10:14:10 AM
Hate it or love it. I am pretty sure there are going to be a huge lot of awful map released for CW2, maps that can only be won in ways that I don't like, that uses some of the many features in very annoying ways. All that assures me is that no map author will be able to upload a map without first having beaten it. Then I'm hoping that some portion of the maps will be as fun as the Story and Bonus missions have shown us maps can be.

Yep, true. Luckily it will be a self-regulating process: when maps don't get played or receive negative comments, the author will hopefully wonder why and make something else next time. :)

Grauniad

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 21, 2011, 10:29:06 AM

Yep, true. Luckily it will be a self-regulating process: when maps don't get played or receive negative comments, the author will hopefully wonder why and make something else next time. :)

Oh, so you *do* see a role in the map creation process for negative comments? :P
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

UpperKEES

Quote from: Grauniad on May 21, 2011, 10:41:42 AM
Oh, so you *do* see a role in the map creation process for negative comments? :P

Sure, but only with well founded arguments stated in a respectful way. :)