What is your favorite tiny detail in CW3?

Started by Nephthys, December 16, 2013, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miksu

Effects are nice, although the explosion is a bit dull, but that is a small thing that I do not really notice after all.

Like someone said, heating barrels are an excellent addition, that's detail.

Also I like the graphics, they are amazing. Simple, yet amazing. Perfect for this game.

And of course the color of creeper, depending of depth of it. It scales very well, from transparent light blue to solid dark blue.

NFITC1

Quote from: Lord_Farin on December 16, 2013, 05:43:41 PM
The heating barrels of Cannons and Snipers.

I noticed this within the first few maps and thought for a while that they might overheat and need a cool down period. Fortunately, that is not the case. At least it hasn't happened to me yet...  8)

I "like" that even small deviations in terrain can cause problems. Even a single map unit of one height difference creates a blind spot for cannons/sprayers. In a few cases I have even used this to create directed turrets. I'm pretty sure it's been that way since CW1, but I like how integrated terrain is into speed strategies.

I like seeing the aether packets coming from the totems and floating to the forge. In a way that's worse than traveling back through the energy network because it's slower, but it also allows use of remote totems buried in creeper thanks to a kamekaze guppy.

Clean0nion

Quote from: NFITC1 on December 17, 2013, 12:35:56 PM
it also allows use of remote totems buried in creeper thanks to a kamekaze guppy.
I never thought to do that!
I do quite like the way in which a select few were given their own star system to have some planets in.

Georg

I really love how Aether gets sucked into the Forge. It looks so awesome!!

Flabort

I like how totems "level up" and get faster at sending aether as you charge them.
I was going to make use of that in my "one mine, limited energy, infinite ore upgrades" map, but a hard limit stopped that dream (for now).
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Nephthys

Each unit has a unique footprint. 

I like this feature. When you are moving a group that includes different types of units, you can tell from the shape of its shadow-placement (for lack of a better description) which type it is. Unless the area is already clear, Mortars will need to be placed behind a unit type that will protect it. I generally use a Pulse-Cannon, but a Sprayer will also work.

Grauniad

My list is long:

1. You can grab the shadow of the unit to adjust it's placement.
2. You don't have to re-select the unit if the placement click was in an invalid location.
3. Drag-select.
4. Drag-build of a line of collectors (shields and nullifier optional :)) 

More they come to mind.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on December 16, 2013, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on December 16, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
3. Spores move in a curve and their shadows change size depending on their distance from the ground.

In early versions of the game, the Beams factored z-axis (height) in when targeting Spores. This meant that a beam in the middle of the map might not have had the vertical reach to shoot down spores and that some spores actually managed to arc over Beam Towers.

Virgil felt it was too complicated to explain and the feature was removed. :(
[chanting mob]BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK![/chanting mob]
We have become the creeper...

Clean0nion

Quote from: thepenguin on January 03, 2014, 05:38:33 PM
3. Spores move in a curve and their shadows change size depending on their distance from the ground.

In early versions of the game, the Beams factored z-axis (height) in when targeting Spores. This meant that a beam in the middle of the map might not have had the vertical reach to shoot down spores and that some spores actually managed to arc over Beam Towers.

...preferably as a CRPL feature!

Flabort

Quote from: Clean0nion on January 03, 2014, 06:02:51 PM

+1
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Flabort on January 03, 2014, 09:55:55 PM
Quote from: Clean0nion on January 03, 2014, 06:02:51 PM

+1

I hear you - it was a really cool feature, but the problem was that it wasn't intuitive.

I actually reported it as a bug because one of my Beams seemed to have a longer range than another nearby Beam.

Of course, the '3D' was being calculated correctly, and the Beam that could actually reach the height of the Spore was firing, but it was hard to convey on a 'top down' view on a 2D monitor.

Elegant in conception, elegant in execution, didn't make it through the real world filter...
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Asbestos

The fact that spores have health and don't just explode immediately.

Kingo

It was really a smart idea from Virgil to make the connections change color based on energy and other factors, IMO.

Nephthys

Quote from: Kingo on January 08, 2014, 08:51:04 PM
It was really a smart idea from Virgil to make the connections change color based on energy and other factors, IMO.

Agreed! More often than not, I realize I am low on energy because the network lines turn red, as opposed to remembering to glance up at the CN info panel or at the CNs themselves.

It is also helpful that, depending on circumstances, the change is often gradual. Deep, darker red indicates extremely low resources while seeing it slowly lighten up & go away altogether lets you know you are on the right track, energy wise. The opposite is equally true. Things are looking good, then you add a few Mortars & the next thing you know everything is changing to red. Since I tend to overbuild I see this quite often.  :) 

Clean0nion

Quote from: Nephthys on January 09, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: Kingo on January 08, 2014, 08:51:04 PM

Agreed! More often than not, I realize I am low on energy because the network lines turn red, as opposed to remembering to glance up at the CN info panel or at the CNs themselves.

It is also helpful that, depending on circumstances, the change is often gradual. Deep, darker red indicates extremely low resources while seeing it slowly lighten up & go away altogether lets you know you are on the right track, energy wise. The opposite is equally true. Things are looking good, then you add a few Mortars & the next thing you know everything is changing to red. Since I tend to overbuild I see this quite often.  :) 
I particularly like how the relays go purple instead of red!
And on a related note, I always have half an eye on the CN info bars... I don't even know who would use the option to hide them