How many Strafers?

Started by Nephthys, November 11, 2013, 06:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharnellius

Quote from: Lord_Farin on November 20, 2013, 08:45:14 AM
Quote from: Kharnellius on November 17, 2013, 09:43:10 AM
Parking 8 Strafers over an emitter effectively nullifies it's digitalis producing capability (REGARDLESS of how much creeper it produces).
I find this strategy works far better than "cutting off" the digitalis at a choke point since, in my case, I can kill ALL the digitalis!
This is great advice! 't Has improved my times on maps with digitalis by quite a bit.

Excellent!  I am glad it helped and that someone was able to verify this method. :)  Carry on, fellow creeper slayer! :D

EDIT: I should note, for those who want to try this, it can take a short while for it to actually begin working.  The Strafers have to settle into the proper timing routine (which naturally happens on it's own).  You can speed up the time it takes to get into this routine, by staggering your launches initially and letting them get into their own groove.  Also, If the destination is really far or really close, you may want to increase (to guarantee enough coverage) or reduce the number you send (to conserve energy).

Ringo

Quote from: 4xC on November 12, 2013, 08:03:07 PM
Quote from: Cavemaniac on November 12, 2013, 01:36:50 PM
This is so true.

The best way to see a quantifiable result from strafer fire is to watch Virgil's video where he reveals the freeze AoO.

With the creeper frozen, you can really see the effect of even a small number of strafers.

Agreed, the Freezer makes a great complement to the strafer, but how often do players run across a freezer, let alone mor ethan one at once?  ::)

Nah strafers and the freezer is not my idea of a good combo. Its best for a few big brethas and a guppy (with build faster upgraded for good measure) to be used with a freeze even the biggest emitter does not stand a chance.

Still strafers are highly useful when used right.

Kharnellius

Quote from: 4xC on November 12, 2013, 10:15:23 AM
I actually don't use them against digitalis much because it grows back too fast in my opinion and that scenario requires a number of strafers with micromanaged attack time intervals to really suppress it. Then again, maybe that's because I play worlds with Inhibitors too often.

Not at all.  Read my previous post.  Try it out.  If there is only 2 or 3 emitters creating digitalis you can easily shut down the ENTIRE digitalis network by parking 5-7 strafers directly over the emitter.  It can take a few runs, but eventually the strafers will work themselves out in an order that prevents digitalis ever returning.  Plus it is sheer beauty watching an entire network of digitalis completely shrivel up!

miquelfire

Quote from: Kharnellius on December 02, 2013, 11:06:27 PMPlus it is sheer beauty watching an entire network of digitalis completely shrivel up!

Unless you're playing on a map with a lot of void space, and forgot to protect your island(s) from the creeper that was in the void before that happens. Boom! Learned that the hard way.

Ceraus

Did you, by any chance, learn it with Void Islands, as seen here?
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14301.0

miquelfire

Nope, it was an alpha map. Lich's The name I believe.

Ceraus

Right, I recall that one; makes sense.