Game Mechanics Quiz 1 - How much do you really know?

Started by UpperKEES, October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: JSCG Gaara on November 23, 2010, 07:39:33 PM
Happy 3000th post UpperKEES!

Oh, thanks. Didn't even notice until you mentioned it....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 22, 2010, 08:24:40 PM
Quote from: Grauniad on November 22, 2010, 06:49:20 PM
Rules of fairness would demand that the winner has a clear, two-point lead. :)

Let's apply that rule, I like it. :)

But of course I won't if Sqaz or mthw2vc have objections, so I'll give them 48 hours to let me know if they do. Next question will be posted at the end of the week, because I'm rather busy at the moment.

Haven't heard of any objections, so the winner needs a 2 point lead now.

Question 11 has been posted. :)

Colin

To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

UpperKEES

UpperKEES

mthw2vc

Around each collector, spores can hit a 5x5 area, as can be shown by placing a collector in the middle of a 5x5 set of walls and launching 100 spores at it. Never once in several attempts did they land in any other squares, or else the creeper would spread immediately, but you can tell from the elevation gauge that they are capable of landing in each of the squares.

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on November 25, 2010, 05:37:48 PM

Around each collector, spores can hit a 5x5 area, as can be shown by placing a collector in the middle of a 5x5 set of walls and launching 100 spores at it. Never once in several attempts did they land in any other squares, or else the creeper would spread immediately, but you can tell from the elevation gauge that they are capable of landing in each of the squares.

Correct! :) One more point for you. No need to explain more after reading the above I guess.

UpperKEES

Question 12 has been posted. :)

mthw2vc

Quote from: UpperKEES on October 18, 2010, 11:08:02 PM
Question 12:
Please have a look at the image below:

9 emitters with intensity 2 are emitting for exactly 1400 seconds and all of them start at the exact beginning of this time frame. Emitter 1 has an interval of 0.1 seconds, emitter 2 has an interval of 0.2, etcetera, and finally emitter 9 has an interval of 0.9 seconds. All emitters are placed on single squares at elevation level 5 and these squares are located in a huge pool that won't fill up, because its bottom at elevation level 1 contains 16 zero intensity emitters that suck the creeper away. Odin City just flies around trying to survive....

A. How much ccc of creeper is emitted exactly by these 9 emitters during this time frame in normal mode?
B. How much ccc of creeper is emitted exactly by these 9 emitters during this time frame in Double Down mode?

Please note that both answers have to be correct and they will be affected by this recently discovered bug!
A: 67 262
B: 100 780

UpperKEES

Quote from: mthw2vc on November 26, 2010, 09:27:08 AM
A: 67 262
B: 100 780

Correct! You are the winner of the quiz, congrats! :)

This question was actually to show the difference in increase when playing on double down. You would first expect twice as much creeper, but it should be even more because the frames have to be rounded down to the nearest integer. You can see this in the left tables of the image below:

212140 / 86462 = ~2.45 times more creeper should be emitted in DD mode, but it turns out to be only 1.5 times more in this example (the data on the right).

This is due to the creeper updates only occurring every 7 frames. Some emittances get lost because the emitter fires again before the creeper was able to spread. Because of this a high frequency emitter will emit just as much creeper as a 0.2 emitter in normal mode. In this test the amount of creeper emitted in DD-mode was only 50% of what it should have been. The tables on the right show the correct answers, taking the bug into account.

Well, that was the quiz. I hope you enjoyed it and maybe even learned something. :) I know I did!

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 27, 2010, 04:49:44 AM
Well, that was the quiz. I hope you enjoyed it and maybe even learned something. :) I know I did!

I enjoyed it too, cause I'm second :P, it really cleared up a whole lot of dark spots in the creeper-mechanics universe. Like the walls, I always wondered how long it'd take for them to dissolve.

UpperKEES

Good! :)

I was thinking of a second quiz with a different format:
- Multiple choice questions (A-D), maybe slightly easier.
- 2 questions a week, posted simultaneously on for instance Monday.
- Anyone can answer and earn a point at the end of the week for every good answer.
- Copying answers from others is possible, but so is changing/editing your answer 5 minutes before the deadline. ;)

Not sure if people like another quiz, but it's pretty clear that more mechanics are available to be explored. I don't want to set up a poll for this, but will start a new one when let's say 10 people are interested. (It does cost quite some time, so I'm not doing it for just 3 participants.) Just let me know (in any way)....

Sqaz

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 28, 2010, 12:13:18 PM
Good! :)

I was thinking of a second quiz with a different format:
- Multiple choice questions (A-D), maybe slightly easier.
- 2 questions a week, posted simultaneously on for instance Monday.
- Anyone can answer and gain a point at the end of the week for a good answer.
- Copying answers from others is possible, but so is changing/editing your answer 5 minutes before the deadline. ;)

Not sure if people like another quiz, but it's pretty clear that more mechanics are available to be explored. I don't want to set up a poll for this, but will start a new one when let's say 10 people are interested. (It does cost quite some time, so I'm not doing it for just 3 participants.) Just let me know (in any way)....

I'd like a new quiz, but having multiple choice makes it easier, and harder to make fitting questions. Also the fact that it isn't first comes wins, will allow everyone to copy mthw2vc's answer :P.