Impossible Code Maps

Started by Mare, June 16, 2011, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsandwich

Wow! :o I didn't realise a conversion bomb could be that effective. Thanks!  :)

Kithros

Quote from: deathsandwich on August 04, 2011, 09:14:41 PM
Wow! :o I didn't realise a conversion bomb could be that effective. Thanks!  :)

It was 2 actually, but conversion bombs can be very effective with dealing with the small chambers. Of course, when it's out in the open, dark beams are really the only way to go in those cases (effectively anyway). It can sometimes be worth it attacking a small chamber with a conversion bomb just to get a huge anti-creeper bubble to defend yourself with, or to get more space.

Colin

Well, this one COULD be possible, I just can't see how  ;D

locked inside Large-Medium/High - Good luck.

below is my 'longest lived' attempt.
To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

Measure

I believe the Large/High version of the map with my name on it is impossible. Build upside down, only a single square layer of dirt protecting you from large emitters and drones, with some crumbly bits thrown in for good measure.

Karl Butcher

Edit: There is a possibility of beating this as it lets you go at least a couple of minutes before breaching the right chamber, probably enough time to pick up the white crystal and some other bonuses...

BoostBreed75

Quote from: Colin on August 05, 2011, 02:08:15 AM
Well, this one COULD be possible, I just can't see how  ;D

On large/medium this is definitely possible. Not sure about high complexity.

EDIT - I could have several more reactors in place and I was a bit sloppy in the beginning. It did require some ls maneuvering to keep the drones occupied long enough as well as shields so that the maker and ore rigs could be deployed.

Colin

Quote from: BoostBreed75 on August 05, 2011, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: Colin on August 05, 2011, 02:08:15 AM
Well, this one COULD be possible, I just can't see how  ;D

On large/medium this is definitely possible. Not sure about high complexity.

EDIT - I could have several more reactors in place and I was a bit sloppy in the beginning. It did require some ls maneuvering to keep the drones occupied long enough as well as shields so that the maker and ore rigs could be deployed.

I meant medium size, not complexity  :P notice where my "/" is. Anyway, I still can't beat it on LARGE or MEDIUM SIZE and HIGH complexity.

BoostBreed75

Regardless on either complexity medium or high or size medium or large all are possible with a maker I don't have time to get my screenshots up until after work as I'm walking out the door right now (well haha should be!) but they are possible a maker is super important because of the relative weakness of the surface emitters.

Colin

Quote from: BoostBreed75 on August 05, 2011, 02:41:44 PM
Regardless on either complexity medium or high or size medium or large all are possible with a maker I don't have time to get my screenshots up until after work as I'm walking out the door right now (well haha should be!) but they are possible a maker is super important because of the relative weakness of the surface emitters.

I made a maker, I still don't see HOW its possible on HIGH complexity. Make sure were talking about the same thing here:

Fisherck

Quote from: Measure on August 05, 2011, 12:43:40 PM
Karl Butcher

Edit: There is a possibility of beating this as it lets you go at least a couple of minutes before breaching the right chamber, probably enough time to pick up the white crystal and some other bonuses...

Use gravity to your advantage instead of having it hold you back. As soon as you open the chamber, all the creeper is going to fall out. ;)

EDIT: And the map with your name that you think is impossible looks different than what you say it looks like. Are you sure it's the right one?
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Colin

I believe the Large/High version of the map with my name on it is impossible. Build upside down, only a single square layer of dirt protecting you from large emitters and drones, with some crumbly bits thrown in for good measure.

Karl Butcher

I like this map, so far here is how I'm doing:
Probably not the best way, but so far its working  ;D

Kithros

Quote from: Colin on August 05, 2011, 03:12:47 PM

Karl Butcher

I like this map, so far here is how I'm doing:
Probably not the best way, but so far its working  ;D

I went with a much more aggressive approach - in hindsight I shouldn't have attacked the chamber from the side I did instead of taking the obvious approach which would have made it a lot easier to defend my reactors, but it worked out anyway (I thought the fields would let me get an easy nullify on it with shields - but the field always rotated just a few seconds too early - I also thought I would be able to clear out the chamber before the terrain decayed through because of this, but it didn't quite work out as planned). I took a red and blue gem from the left side + the technytes before flying over to the right.

Spoiler
[close]

deathsandwich

Beat you to it! (I think although you posted as I wrote this...)  :)
Try to nullify the emitter and the gateway early to make life easier. If you time it well, with shields and a nullify you can clear out the cave in the first few minutes. Go into it from the bottom though.

This is as far as I could get with "locked in":

Spoiler

Using the dark beam I could hold off the creeper coming from the right, but when the ground below dissolved the drones took me out.  :( I could probably get away with less repulsors but I doubt I could ever power up the dark beam enough to survive with the drones. I think I could get the emitter's health down to 0.87 ish!
[close]

Can't be sure it is impossible though...

Measure

And there's now one high score up for my map. Good work , Death Sandwich.

florrat

locked in (EDIT: locked inside) is indeed insane. I think it's impossible, since you can hardly secure more than 3 energy/sec after the terrain is decayed (after a few minutes). And the drones are so insane, I think you can't destroy them with blasters. That means you need a dark beam in 4 minutes, with an energy income of 3 minutes. The best case I can image then is a infinite stalemate, where you switch your dark beam on just enough to destroy all the drones.

My most promising try is shown in the screenshot. I mimicked deathsandwich's approach. I managed to bring the health of the emitter back to 0.67. But even if you destroy that emitter, it won't make that much of a difference, since after 4-5 minutes, most creeper will come from the emitter(s) below.

EDIT:
@deathsandwich: I think the unit cost upgrade is better than the reactor efficiency upgrade on this map.

Kithros

Are you sure the name is "locked in"? For me it's a completely different (and incredibly easy) map.

EDIT: Looked up in the thread, it's actually locked inside.

My start is extremely different - I'll have to see how I can go from here, the anti-creeper should buy me some time at least.

Spoiler
[close]

EDIT AGAIN: I'm certain that method can work, but I went with a somewhat similar strategy just on the surface emitter. I didn't think conversion bombs would hit creeper dense enough to be able to hold it back well (as a very large portion of the creeper coming from that emitter spills out of the chamber), but by rushing 4 conversion bombs into it placed carefully it worked well. After taking out the close surface emitter it's pretty straightforward to just build up while the anti-creeper buys time (I was lazy at this point so my energy useage isn't so good, but I had plenty of room for error at that point) I stopped playing at this point as I have a dark beam built and all the dark mirrors in position to defend myself easily enough with more thann enough build space to work with. I'm fairly certain medium/high should be possible with a similar strategy adding in some blasters to defend - there are better gems available at the beginning so I think it can be afforded.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]