Internet related stuff

Started by Blaze, October 17, 2013, 12:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

It's late and I can't think of a title.

Anyhow, I used to be able to host using Hamachi for a few friends on games like Terraria or Team Fortress 2 awhile back.
However we recently switched internet service packages to a faster service, same provider (AT&T U-Verse).

Since then I haven't been able to host, though since the last time I hosted I also got a new computer, new anti-virus (Vipre) and we changed the security key encryption on our network for my sisters's Gameboy DS.
Could any of these prevent me from being able to host?

I've tried everything, from allowing the programs through the firewall and AV secondary firewall, to disabling both and trying then, and my friends still cannot connect.

This isn't really an issue, as my friend can host for Terraria (though there is lag and monsters teleport often for me), and we can hijack empty bot servers on TF2 to play on there.
It just bothers me since I've done it before and it's magically stopped working. ::)

The friend I mostly play with is about to get a video card soon, so we can play other games again (Star Wars The Old Republic, TERA, to name a couple), but I'm still curious as to why this might happen.

thepenguin

The new ISP may have changed the settings on the router.  If you got a new router, is port forwarding set up correctly to host these games?

Just a guess, you are the one who knows the real details of the problem.
We have become the creeper...

Blaze

Quote from: thepenguin on October 17, 2013, 06:31:53 PM
The new ISP may have changed the settings on the router.  If you got a new router, is port forwarding set up correctly to host these games?

I've never port-forwarded, always used Hamachi and it worked fine before.

teknotiss

Quote from: Blaze on October 17, 2013, 10:45:08 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on October 17, 2013, 06:31:53 PM

I've never port-forwarded, always used Hamachi and it worked fine before.
well the old isp connection prob was gamer friendly so your router prob had the common gaming ports open, your new connection may use different ports to usual so it's the first thing to check. their website should tell you what the ports are for your router now.
if not at least you've eliminated an option
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grauniad

Use this tool (or one like it) to check how people on the Internet can (or cannot) see you router...
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Ports should have nothing to do with it, I used Hamachi before and after, which simulates a LAN network and allows people to host without port forwarding.
This is where I get confused, as Hamachi is not working anymore. :-\

Quote from: Grauniad on October 18, 2013, 11:53:09 AM
Use this tool (or one like it) to check how people on the Internet can (or cannot) see you router...

I tried every common port they had listed (except remote desktop) and none of them worked.
What does that mean..?

teknotiss

Quote from: Blaze on October 18, 2013, 03:07:33 PM
Ports should have nothing to do with it, I used Hamachi before and after, which simulates a LAN network and allows people to host without port forwarding.
This is where I get confused, as Hamachi is not working anymore. :-\

Quote from: Grauniad on October 18, 2013, 11:53:09 AM

I tried every common port they had listed (except remote desktop) and none of them worked.
What does that mean..?
ah, i was thinking hamachi was similar to tunngle. i have a friend who uses hamachi quite a lot, i'll ask him if he has any ideas, prob have to do it tmmw though.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

miquelfire

check to see if you have the newest Hamachi installed.

Grauniad

So your router has ports blocked. SInce you posted a number of times and haven't yet told us the make/model of the router, or much specific at all, I suggest you call your ISP and ask them to walk you through opening up the required ports.  They should know, and they are paid to coax information out of tight-lipped customers. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on October 18, 2013, 05:50:37 PM
So your router has ports blocked. SInce you posted a number of times and haven't yet told us the make/model of the router, or much specific at all, I suggest you call your ISP and ask them to walk you through opening up the required ports.  They should know, and they are paid to coax information out of tight-lipped customers. :)

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that...
And I haven't told you because I don't know. :D

Quote from: miquelfire on October 18, 2013, 05:00:08 PM

I do, I did a complete reinstall before and it still didn't work.

I'll try and port forward my router and see if that works.
I miss host-advantage. ::)

Though, is it possible to screw up port forwarding?
If it is, what is the worst case scenario.

teknotiss

Quote from: Blaze on October 18, 2013, 06:25:04 PM
Quote from: Grauniad on October 18, 2013, 05:50:37 PM
So your router has ports blocked. SInce you posted a number of times and haven't yet told us the make/model of the router, or much specific at all, I suggest you call your ISP and ask them to walk you through opening up the required ports.  They should know, and they are paid to coax information out of tight-lipped customers. :)

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that...
And I haven't told you because I don't know. :D

Quote from: miquelfire on October 18, 2013, 05:00:08 PM

I do, I did a complete reinstall before and it still didn't work.

I'll try and port forward my router and see if that works.
I miss host-advantage. ::)

reset router to defaults and reinstall the net-ware, should take too long  ::)

thepenguin

Quote from: Blaze on October 18, 2013, 06:25:04 PM
Worst-case scenario is you have a massive security hole and your computer is vulnerable to attacks from the outside.  That's only if you really mess up and open a lot of things you shouldn't.  It's not a very likely scenario.
We have become the creeper...

Blaze

Quote from: thepenguin on October 18, 2013, 10:31:10 PM
Worst-case scenario is you have a massive security hole and your computer is vulnerable to attacks from the outside.  That's only if you really mess up and open a lot of things you shouldn't.  It's not a very likely scenario.

And this is why I never attempted port forwarding, and why my dad won't let me if I tell him that.
Because he pays bills online.

Oh well, guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Quote from: teknotiss on October 18, 2013, 07:07:03 PM
reset router to defaults and reinstall the net-ware, should take too long  ::)

Uhm, you do know I didn't install it and some guy came in and did it, right?
I haven't the slightest clue how to even access settings for it... :D

teknotiss

you router will have a web address, it can be accessed through a browser window even if you have no interent cos you disabled something, mine starts 192.168.xxx.x (not giving all the nos just the ones in the public domain), your provider will be able to give you the addy, it's prob on their site, worth know this stuff, look up some stuff on that router and get some learning done  ;)
in that web/router page you can change ports and do all sorts, including reseting it.
DON'T mess about in there if you don't have too! not as bad as messing with a registry, but it can take a while to sort ::)

Blaze

Quote from: teknotiss on October 19, 2013, 11:59:47 AM
you router will have a web address, it can be accessed through a browser window even if you have no interent cos you disabled something, mine starts 192.168.xxx.x (not giving all the nos just the ones in the public domain), your provider will be able to give you the addy, it's prob on their site, worth know this stuff, look up some stuff on that router and get some learning done  ;)
in that web/router page you can change ports and do all sorts, including reseting it.
DON'T mess about in there if you don't have too! not as bad as messing with a registry, but it can take a while to sort ::)

Wanted to take a peek, found my actual IP and not my public one, and the page loaded but it was just white... :D
I'll wait until we have another reason to call our ISP, chances are we'll be moving in about a year so we'll have to call to move service.

Then the Router will be put in my room and I'll have a nice wired connection for the best speed. ;D