Windows 7: reclaim some disk space

Started by Grauniad, October 10, 2013, 09:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/new-windows-7-feature-in-kb-2852386-reclaims-wasted-space-your-c-drive-228449

Microsoft has made available a new update patch that lets you delete old update files. This may reclaim, depending on how old you PC is, between 1GB (on my 3-month old PC) and 10GB on a friend's 4-year-old PC. of hard drive space.

Read the article linked to above for instructions/background. As with all programs/applications. run at your own risk.

Here is the Microsoft Support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kingo

Can't hurt to get back more memory... thank you Microsoft!

Grauniad

Kingo. Disk space is not the same as memory or RAM> Disk space is slower and until recently most commonly on rotational platters or disks spinning around.  Memory is typically referred to as RAM and is usually much less than the disk space on your processor. Things are loaded into memory from the disk drive before the computer can process it.

Kingo

Quote from: Grauniad on October 11, 2013, 07:55:17 AM
Kingo. Disk space is not the same as memory or RAM> Disk space is slower and until recently most commonly on rotational platters or disks spinning around.  Memory is typically referred to as RAM and is usually much less than the disk space on your processor. Things are loaded into memory from the disk drive before the computer can process it.

I meant disk space... lol.
I forgot that RAM is referred to as memory. But I do understand the difference between them.

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on October 11, 2013, 07:55:17 AM
Grauniad. Both are technically memory.

Also, I'm not sure reclaiming that tiny amount of memory is worth the hassle unless your disk is almost full.
We have become the creeper...

knucracker

Wish I could get this to work... I have over 19G in that dir awaiting deletion.

I have win7 sp1, all the latest updates installed.  I installed this update, rebooted, confirmed it was installed by trying to install again.  Run Disk Cleanup, click "Clean up system files".  It runs though and even says at one point in the progress dialog it is "Scanning: Windows Update Cleanup".  But, the resulting list contains no entry for "Windows Update".  It is the same list as before with the same amount of disk space listed as recoverable at the top of the dialog.

One more nudge towards that new system....

Grauniad

Quote from: thepenguin on October 16, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

Also, I'm not sure reclaiming that tiny amount of memory is worth the hassle unless your disk is almost full.

I live and learn. Please post me a link to where a technical definition of hard drive space is called memory?

And a nice hedge on your 2nd statement. Makes it relatively meaningless.

Michionlion

I don't know, referring to the disk as a disk is one thing, but the disk HAS memory, so you could use both terms.  In general, though, ram is called 'memory', although not all the time.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Quote from: Michionlion on October 16, 2013, 04:24:52 PM
I don't know, referring to the disk as a disk is one thing, but the disk HAS memory, so you could use both terms.  In general, though, ram is called 'memory', although not all the time.

Google this. :)  Only use memory to refer to both hard drive space and RAM if you want to confuse everyone around you.

asmussen

Quote from: Grauniad on October 16, 2013, 04:17:23 PM
Quote from: thepenguin on October 16, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

I live and learn. Please post me a link to where a technical definition of hard drive space is called memory?

And a nice hedge on your 2nd statement. Makes it relatively meaningless.

Grauniad, this is from the wikipedia entry for Computer Data Storage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_data_storage

Often the fast, volatile technologies (which lose data when powered off) are referred to as "memory", while slower permanent technologies are referred to as "storage", but these terms can also be used interchangeably.

However, despite that, I agree with you that when discussing computers, it is much better to use the terms separately so as to avoid confusion. It's a pain in the neck when you ask somebody how much memory their computer has and they reply with something like 500 Gigabytes, and then you have to do the dance where you explain to them what you mean by memory. Most technical type guys, myself included, tend to avoid mixing the terms 'storage' and 'memory'.
Shawn Asmussen

teknotiss

my comp sci lecturer took delight in confusing the two to teach us not to, both are technically memory, but it is sensible to refer to them with seperate terms. personally i don't like using memory for either, but since it's apparently accepted webwide that memory = RAM, i'll go with the flow  :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

thepenguin

Quote from: Grauniad on October 16, 2013, 04:38:15 PM
Google this. :)  Only use memory to refer to both hard drive space and RAM if you want to confuse everyone around you.
"memory" is defined as the capacity for storing information.  It is technically correct to call disk space memory, regardless of how it is confusing when considered without context.  However, we are able to use our brain (and the memory we have within it) to interpret the correct meaning.  In this thread, you seem to be the only one who has tried to use the term "memory" to refer to RAM in a discussion specifically about hard drive space, and so I have to wonder whether you are being confusing more than you are being confused.
We have become the creeper...