The Tony Report: Walkthroughs and Commentaries

Started by TonyP2000, October 14, 2013, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyP2000

Welcome to the Tony Report. This is going to be the main discussion page for my YouTube walkthrough series I am planning. Every so often I will to make a walkthrough of some of the more notorious maps out there and post them on YouTube to get this game more exposure.

Right now I am taking requests for my first episode. I plan on this one being a quicker and easier one just so I can get the basic editing and video making down. Then I will tackle the big ones like Arca, Farbor, Metriod, and Point to Point.

Be free to request some interesting maps from all sectors of the game, I hope to have the first video out by tonight.

MapULR
You Call that an X
Quannarulus
Farbor
The Source
Vote Tony!

pawel345

[troll] Why don't you start with S200_101 : Jovencoting in Tormented sector [/troll] :P

more seriously maybe Frykt:Crosslaw? it's a rather standard map and you could use it to show the basic CW3  gameplay. And the level has some really nice colours as well :D

TonyP2000

Quote from: pawel345 on October 14, 2013, 03:38:46 PM
[troll] Why don't you start with S200_101 : Jovencoting in Tormented sector [/troll] :P

I was actually planning an "attempt" video on this one showing no matter how fast you are, there is no way you can win. Maybe as a joke or bonus or something.
Vote Tony!

pawel345

^^ would be nice, i manage 2 reactors and a mortar and something else either mortar or PC but the creeper always get's me :P

TonyP2000

And here is my first video of the series! Just a quick map to get things started, my next video is probably going to be a small tormented space map. Let me know what you think.

Vote Tony!

Grauniad

Hey Tony, I watched that and it was probably the first post-release video or stream that the player wasn't totally clueless. :) Thanks for playing a map I "discovered." :)

The commentary was fine, I enjoyed listening to it.

I have a few observations on the video itself.

1. it was available only at 360P, which is hard to watch in fullscreen. Maybe YouTube will process higher resolution later, it sometimes happen if you uploaded at a higher resolution. If you didn't, I'd urge you to at least consider 720P.

2. Your technique to zoom in so tremendously is kind of hard, You rapidly scroll the map and it is, at the very least, disconcerting. Consider playing at a lesser zoom level and having more of the playing area visible.

Otherwise nice job. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TonyP2000

Here is my next video on a tormented space map: Quannarulus. Not a difficult map, just another map to get the tech stuff set up. This time I did the commentary after the walkthrough rather than during it.

Tell me what you think and be free to send requests.
Vote Tony!

Fisherck

I like the videos, and especially the dialogue. That's a nice touch :) I do agree with Grauniad though, that the amount your zoomed in is kind of disconcerting. I would personally suggest zooming out more when playing and recording the video to give the viewer a better idea of what's going on in the map.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

TonyP2000

Quote from: Fisherck on October 15, 2013, 09:33:44 PM
I like the videos, and especially the dialogue. That's a nice touch :) I do agree with Grauniad though, that the amount your zoomed in is kind of disconcerting. I would personally suggest zooming out more when playing and recording the video to give the viewer a better idea of what's going on in the map.

I made the second video before I got Grauniad's feedback but I do plan on keeping things zoomed out in the next one. I just like paying on close zoom thats all.
Vote Tony!

Kharnellius

I would suggest editing your first post to have a list of all the videos you post so people don't have to search through pages and pages of comments to find your videos.

Good deal. :)

TonyP2000

Quote from: Kharnellius on October 16, 2013, 12:52:08 AM
I would suggest editing your first post to have a list of all the videos you post so people don't have to search through pages and pages of comments to find your videos.

Good deal. :)

Good idea...
Vote Tony!

TonyP2000

Vote Tony!

NNR_Alex

I watched your Farbor walkthrough.  I'm guessing this is all pretty new to you because you seem pretty mic shy still.  I honestly have no right to say this because I'm bad about it myself, but try to bring some more energy to the commentary.  I'd stick with doing live commentary if you can, it's usually more interesting, when something surprises you it's more genuine.  Also I'd keep playing around with your recording settings to fix that cutting off problem, I couldn't read the dialog at the top.

Other than that I look forward to when you eventually do Metroid.  I'm stuck on that level myself.  I think I know how to do better on it, but it's also nice to watch how others approach a map.

TonyP2000

Quote from: NNR_Alex on October 23, 2013, 02:22:59 AM
I watched your Farbor walkthrough.  I'm guessing this is all pretty new to you because you seem pretty mic shy still.  I honestly have no right to say this because I'm bad about it myself, but try to bring some more energy to the commentary.  I'd stick with doing live commentary if you can, it's usually more interesting, when something surprises you it's more genuine.  Also I'd keep playing around with your recording settings to fix that cutting off problem, I couldn't read the dialog at the top.

Other than that I look forward to when you eventually do Metroid.  I'm stuck on that level myself.  I think I know how to do better on it, but it's also nice to watch how others approach a map.

Thanks for the feedback, if I am probably going to hold off on Metiod for a bit, and even when I do get to it, i am not going to record the whole thing. (the 35 mins I recorded for Farbor took 7 gigs!)

As for being camera shy, you bring up a good point. I plan on being less restrained in the next video once I get time to make it.
Vote Tony!

NNR_Alex

As long as you show the start up and any nasty traps Madmog prepared (I noticed on one try when I went to try and null one target there was a custom unit that wouldn't let me do that).  Otherwise with the storage issue, Can you record a part, pause the game, compress the file into a different format, unpause and record some more, and just upload it in several parts?  I had to do that before.