Custom Map: Quagmire Quest 2: The Busted Bunker

Started by AutoPost, December 06, 2010, 03:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: RichieRich on December 07, 2010, 07:12:22 PM
I have played CW so much now that I am kind of hankering for CW2 at this stage

Exactly for this reason I'm trying to do something different with this series. Although still many new players arrive each week there are already so many maps to be played, so it becomes rather hard to keep loyal players interested.

In reality though, there is usually only one way to finish most maps - more choices in the play but the finish is the same  ;) It is always seems in hindsight that the solution to any puzzle was obvious and for designers it's tricky to do good ones as the solution is evident from the start.

Well, I do see that a puzzle map restricts the player even more (except maybe for very strategic fighting maps with limited space that could be considered puzzles as well), but I think that's fine when you try to give the player something in return for that.

Yes there is only one way to finsih this, but it was, for me, not the expected way and the play was very interesting.

What I marvelled at with this map (especially when I found the solution) and Kapoios's map was the wonderful effort in making the maps.

Thanks again, always nice to read. Regarding the map making: it's not that different from playing the game for a full year. Developing a map with a new concept is so much more fun than just creating the next hard fight! :)

Edit: oh, by the way, thanks for the link to that other puzzle map. Will try that one soon....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Okay, because the PMs keep coming in, here's the first hint:

Spoiler
The kind of damage you want to be doing is discussed in this topic.
[close]

UpperKEES

The second (and last) hint is about the choice of upgrades:

Spoiler
This post talks about synchronising your blasters with emitters. Often blasters sync automatically, but when this doesn't happen you may want that blaster to make a little jump: pause the game, select a different destination for the blaster and immediately select its own location again. When you unpause the game the blaster won't move, but just quickly hop on the spot, causing it to sync with the nearby emitter. Synchronized blasters will kill the creeper before it spreads, so this works more efficiently.
[close]

If you need more hints just tell me where you get stuck and I'll send you a PM. :)

Pjard

I give up...well not really.  I can get the blaster and upgrades and weapons.  I just end up in a stalemate...I can't figure out that correct path, how about one more clue?

UpperKEES

So you can get to the techs and survivors as well?

What did you build before starting the final stage?

Welcome to the forums by the way! :)

SPIFFEN

Finally i manage to finnish it =)
Guess i have tryed it like 100 times now =P
Like 5 - 10 times a day since it got posted =S
I usally lose an Blaster or the Creeper managed to take down the wall =(

Great map , i would'nt bother try it so many times if i did'nt like it alot =D
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Well done Spiff!  8)

I know how many times you tried and I liked your PMs every day how far you got this time.

Thanks for playing and keeping up the spirit(s)! ;D

kropernic

Hello,

I just go back to CW after a few month without playing and BIM !  I discovered those quests.  I did pretty much all of your nice-job and was a bit disappointed when I read that number 25 was the last.  So, I'm really glad that your are back to work :-)

I have no problem finishing the three other quests but this one....  I can manage to survive indefinitely but I really can't get to the bridges (the squares in the river).

Even more, I try to figure out how to reach them by pausing the game and placing a relay on them and then see where I could place another relay to reach it but I can't find that place (and so the path to solve the puzzle).

Can't we really get another hint ? ^^

Anyway, you really should continue doing maps ;-)

kropernic

Ok nevermind, I finally did it !  ;D

My time is 28:00 but know that I know the path, I think I can do it a lot better (but still can't post my time with that computer XD)

Again, great map !

EDIT : New time --> 15:15.  How the hell did you finish that map in 8 min !? lol  I would be interested in seeing one replay of yours ^^

SPIFFEN

UpperKEES stopped after this map , so dont expekt any response from him .
But he might drop by when he gets time to do so ,
but i dont think he will for an long time =/
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
How to make links

kropernic

Oh #### !  It's a huge loss for this game !

I now have to find another great designer... I understood that you also made maps.  I will check that then ^^

SPIFFEN

How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: kropernic on February 16, 2011, 09:38:07 AM
I just go back to CW after a few month without playing and BIM !  I discovered those quests.  I did pretty much all of your nice-job and was a bit disappointed when I read that number 25 was the last.

You can always try my Hard Art maps.... :)