sniper and glider relationship

Started by Spencergray24, October 07, 2013, 01:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencergray24

I understand you use snipers to kill gliders, but for some reason mine will just let the glider kill them. My snipers will shoot the gliders at the points where they change direction otherwise they will leave them alone. At first I thought maybe it was an elevation problem(since the gliders are touching the ground on the other side) so I build them a wall of 10 they can shoot from, but they still get destroyed.

MizInIA

i believe that is noted as a known bug that is on the list for the first patch to come out.

Grauniad

Quote from: MizInIA on October 07, 2013, 09:13:20 AM
i believe that is noted as a known bug that is on the list for the first patch to come out.

I just checked and I did not see this mentioned as a bug at all. It also was not my experience on this map.  If you suspect it is a bu, can you link me to another discussion of it so I can make sure Virgil considers it for the first patch?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grauniad

Quote from: Spencergray24 on October 07, 2013, 01:44:48 AM
I understand you use snipers to kill gliders, but for some reason mine will just let the glider kill them. My snipers will shoot the gliders at the points where they change direction otherwise they will leave them alone. At first I thought maybe it was an elevation problem(since the gliders are touching the ground on the other side) so I build them a wall of 10 they can shoot from, but they still get destroyed.

I don't believe  there is a targeting issue with Snipers. I usually have a few clustered a little distance away - I think of Snipers as never being on the front line of a battle.

Your wall that you erect in front of the void path may also interfere with other snipers being able to target the gliders....

teknotiss

Quote from: Grauniad on October 07, 2013, 10:11:22 AM
Quote from: Spencergray24 on October 07, 2013, 01:44:48 AM

I don't believe  there is a targeting issue with Snipers. I usually have a few clustered a little distance away - I think of Snipers as never being on the front line of a battle.

Your wall that you erect in front of the void path may also interfere with other snipers being able to target the gliders....

the walls will block LoS and snipers have a fairly slow rate of fire, so using them that close to the enemy is likely to cause them to die.
i never put my snipers more than a square or so in range of the area i want cleared.
Spencergray24 in relation to the pic you posted i had my snipers about where your terps are and i didn't build a wall. 4 or 6 is enough to keep those gliders under control, 8 for sure.
hope that helps  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

J

There is actually a problem with snipers shooting at these gliders. I haven't experienced it this extreme but some snipers didn't fire immediatly (another sniper slightly behind that one did, so I didn't have any problems with it).
Spencergray24, can you post your forge upgrades and the save? I've heard someone speculating that the range upgrades can make this bug happen.

knucracker

I'd like a couple different saves of missions that experience this problem.  A quick look at the code and I don't see any issues with range upgrades.  That doesn't mean there isn't just that it looks right (the same as the other units).  Sniper have a very slow rate of fire, so I want to make sure this isn't being confused with anything.  Snipers also have to get a good lock on a unit, so I'd like to investigate if that is somehow related.

Spencergray24

Quote from: Grauniad on October 07, 2013, 10:11:22 AM
I don't believe  there is a targeting issue with Snipers. I usually have a few clustered a little distance away - I think of Snipers as never being on the front line of a battle.

I put the snipers up close so they can reach just a little farther into the glider's void path. In an attempt to give them a few extra moments to fire and reload.

As for the few asking for the save I ended up just closing that area off with the terp and went ahead and assaulted each side to beat the map so I only have the beaten auto save right now. When I get back home tonight I'll try to recreate this image for you to play with :)

P.S. Thanks for the replies and the help

JF-T

Just to be safe i usually put snipers in PZs asap so as to need much less of them, usually only needing one. More range and more fire rate is wonderful with snipers, always is.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

MizInIA

i just had the sniper issue while playing Egos Chanson. new snipers would not target the gliders. however if i save and load the game they start firing immediately. playing on Mac osx snow leopard.

Imposter

My snipers worked fine in the mission map, but then didn't work at all vs gliders in virgil's alpha sector map, Aether. I just used suicidal collectors to get rid of ones in bad spots.

Dunno if my save will help, it's just the auto save when I beat the mission, so no gliders are left.

pawel345

That's because gliders are just CPRL cores and you can specify if snipers are supposed to damage them or not. So the ones in Chanson are defined to be damaged by snipers and the ones in Aether are not.

Achillodene

I got in much the same position as the image with about 6 snipers in range but they still sat there and got destroyed. I'll only have the end game save if that's any use.
Achillodene

Sailing the creeper somewhere in the galaxy

Grauniad

Quote from: Achillodene on October 08, 2013, 07:19:52 AM
I got in much the same position as the image with about 6 snipers in range but they still sat there and got destroyed. I'll only have the end game save if that's any use.

The save file will only be helpful  if it  shows Snipers not firing at objects that they are supposed to target.

Harkler

Here is a file that shows the bug.

Sniper 1 fires at its full range

Sniper 2 fires at about 75% of its range

Sniper 3 fires at about 50% of its range