Main Menu

Spores

Started by Ordinaryman, January 29, 2010, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy20164

I tried playing around with spores (100 on first wave ever 5 seconds) they dont target odin at all just the buildings around it. i'd like more choices with spores like , Don't target buildings, all spore target odin or larger creeper spores (bigger area then the 3x3) just my thoughts.

djcian

if you want spores to target odin city then when you make the map put hundreds (alot) of collectors under odin city and they will be likely to target those collectors
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

JACKL

i have never forgoten my sams.....except when seeing how much damage the do on my homemade maps.
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Karsten75

Quote from: crazy20164 on January 31, 2010, 03:27:04 PM
I tried playing around with spores (100 on first wave ever 5 seconds) they dont target odin at all just the buildings around it. i'd like more choices with spores like , Don't target buildings, all spore target odin or larger creeper spores (bigger area then the 3x3) just my thoughts.

Somewhere Virgil posted that spores DO NOT ever target Odin City.  I do not know if the advice of placing collectors/reactors under Odin City will change that behavior.

Aurzel

hey thats a great idea dj, with 100 collectors under odin some of those spores are bound to land on it, the only problem is i think the collectors will appear on top of the city

The Creep Destroyer

It would be nice if we could choose each waves *Target* and how many Anti-air missles it takes to bring each spore down. Also if we could send the waves every 1 sec instead of every 5 :)
Starcraft 2... where the creeper dies to nukes.
I use lightmage to record my scores.

Biglulu

Spores do target Odin city when it's the only building left.

kwinse

Erm, no they don't?

Quote from: virgilw on December 23, 2009, 06:54:53 PM
Small clarification about the spore targeting.   Spores will target random structures.   If there are no structures on the map, they target random locations.
So..... it almost never makes sense, but if you built a tight cluster of collectors over in a part of the map you didn't care about you would increase the probability that the spores would target them and not the rest of your base.  This strategy really only makes sense on custom maps where you can't build sams but spores are inbound.  (And even in this case you should position blasters everywhere to pop the spores when they hit).

Quote from: virgilw on December 24, 2009, 02:53:48 PM
I had to actually go check the code on this one...
Looks like it targets collectors and relays. 

So the only way to make spores target Odin City directly is to stick a collector or relay underneath it with the map editor.

Aurzel

biglulu if you dont believe us try making a map with just odin city and a collector elsewhere and then make a wave of 10 spore, the first wave all the spores will hit the collector, the second wave they'll scatter randomly over the map

Spartan

I would love to see a emitter spawning spore added, I think it would add more dynamic games seeing as you have to adjust your defenses to deal with the new emitters. If the spores target creeper than you'd also not have to worry about them penetrating your defenses unless you have a creeper pool in the middle of your network. If they targeted medium creeper you'd need to be agressive with Sams to stop the creeper flow from increasing every time those spores launch since they would hit away from your network. I think making Sams take on a more agressive role, like repostitioning outside of supply range or even suiciding them to stop emitters from spawning, would be an awesome addition to the strategies in the game without complicating it too much. Additionally, would there be anyway to make it so that once the emitters spawned by these spores get capped for a minute or two that they die or is it too hard to do that from a programming point of view? That way they could tie up your weapons for a good bit but wouldn't require you to have turrets all around your network to cap emitters that landed earlier in the level.

I think a third color spore that targets thin creeper and just adds a significant amount of creeper to it would be cool as well, an area that needed only one blaster would need two for a bit and it would be able to fill up shallow pools so they wouldn't slow the creeper down, until bombed ofcourse. They would also added a quick burst of movement in areas that you could've previously ignored because of thin creeper. You would still need to be agressive with sams to deal with these but much less so than emitter spores that hit further back.
"I wonder why we think faster than we can speak." (Calvin)
"Probably so we can think twice." (Hobbes)

Aurzel

this has already been suggested and shot down in another thread, an emitter spawning spore just has too many opportunities to ruin the game

Spartan

I've read through the reasons it was shot down in this thread at least and it seems that if it were a choice like double down or more likely put in by custom map makers than it wouldn't ruin the game but provide a challenge. Same with the second suggesetion I made. True emitters landing far away would be harder and if you sit around forever and don't play the map than you'll lose but emitter spores probably won't be coming every minute like normal spores and one or two won't ruin you. As long as you don't take hours to progress through the map than it should be possible to beat. It would also add some more time pressure or force you to use Sams agressively, maybe a Sam drone pair to land in shallow creeper long enough to hit the spores coming in.

The second suggestion would be as easy as making another color spore that hits randomly and could have some interesting results. Changing the amount of creeper and frequency is done in the map maker already so all that is needed is to take away targeting. If you think a random emitter would be too unpredictable for scores than it could be a mode just for fun.
"I wonder why we think faster than we can speak." (Calvin)
"Probably so we can think twice." (Hobbes)

UpperKEES

One thing about spores that would be nice, is an indicator (a little arrow in the red spore timer) that shows which side they will be coming from next time. You might like the element of surprise, but when you play a map the second time you will know anyway, so there is no need to keep it secret the first time.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on February 23, 2010, 06:53:11 AM
One thing about spores that would be nice, is an indicator (a little arrow in the red spore timer) that shows which side they will be coming from next time. You might like the element of surprise, but when you play a map the second time you will know anyway, so there is no need to keep it secret the first time.

What would be nicer is a "random direction" for the spores - and *no* little red arrow.  ;)

UpperKEES

Yeah, that could be an option as well. However this would mean that you might get very unlucky when the spores keep coming from the bottom (where Odin City is initially located most of the time). For high score comparisons it is not a good idea, so I go for the indicator. ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview