"If this, then that" events

Started by TheBuilder, January 17, 2010, 12:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBuilder

"If this, then that" events would make it possible for things to happen because of wat happens in the game, like say u set one so that when u finish building something in a certain area a text box appears, or u do something other than linking to the totems, say rescue all of the survivors on teh map, and the totems activate automatically.
Another example: spore waves don't start their countdowns till after u obtain a certain schematic in map, usually the SAM tech, but could be set to any other.

Here's how they might look:

Events

Cause choice(s):
build in/enter this area(ud get an object in teh map that u could link to others of its kind to surround the area that activates the event)
obtain item(escape pod/schematic/artifact)
creeper reaches certain amount on map or certain area
certain amount of creeper is destroyed
certain aomunt of time passes

Effect choice(s):
text box appears
spore countdown starts
item appears(escape pod/schematic/artifact)
emitter turns on/off
emitter intensity goes up/down
spore countdown time/number of spores/intensity goes up/down

Would make maps more interesting.  WHO ELSE THINKS SO?
Not even death can stop the truly determined.

I told them, "I want to add to the world."
They said, "Then learn how to use the editor."
I asked, "What is the editor?"
They said, "Life."

haloguy48

~Pew Pew Pew!~ 
Building campaigns from the echos of forgotten experiences.
~Pew Pew Pew!~

Aurzel

like the triggers in starcraft, great idea

NoobSauce

I think with careful placement of artifacts you can get that effect...  but triggers in the map editor would be a great idea to expand it.
BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

TheBuilder

By the way, could a mod that reads this sticky this topic, realy would like it to stay around for a while, thanks if it happens!

They said, "Life."

crazy20164

I got a pretty decent map that this would be good for but the only other alternative is a building that is not finished being built and you cant place those ><

TheBuilder

I hope I only do this once, but sorry to those that find bumping posts annoying, i just want people to c this, besides im still waiting on a reply from virgil about it.

They said, "Life."

Kamron3

I think that this is an okay idea.

_k

Aurzel

it offers so many possibilities, i'd really enjoy seeing this get added soon

TheBuilder

you know what bothers me, this has been here for a while, and virgil hasent said anything about it yet

They said, "Life."

betadata

Quote from: TheBuilder on January 26, 2010, 03:14:16 PM
you know what bothers me, this has been here for a while, and virgil hasent said anything about it yet

that could be a good thing

TheBuilder

umm, i have my own thoughts on that, but care to explain y u say that?

They said, "Life."

Aurzel

i guess he's come to the conclusion that virgil will rather work on it than respond, how he thought of that eludes me

Karsten75

Quote from: TheBuilder on January 26, 2010, 03:14:16 PM

Yet you keep bumping this thread. If you haven't noticed, Virgil doesn't respond to all threads posted. Your arrogance is astounding. First you want it stickied so that it should stay on the top while other deserving threads stay on top by virtue of being posted to. Then you keep making inane comments while pretending it isn't a bump and even so you run out of ideas and you admit to bumping it.

While events and triggers are probably good ideas, they are complex to code and almost certainly never will get into CW as we know it now. In a future release, who knows.

I'd much rather Virgil does what we all admire him for, which is to turn out an interesting game rather than spend all his time responding to every wild idea thrown out there by every Tom, Dick and Harry. 

Aurzel

this isnt a wild idea karsten and scripted events are something we're all familiar with in cw just not in the map maker