Main Menu

Packet types

Started by jasvinderm, August 17, 2010, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 18, 2010, 09:17:11 PM
Well, unless you code for this, it's going to mess up some maps where the authors designed it so OC connects to totems to drain resources right off the bat. Other wise, I think it is a substantial change in gameplay and I'm not so sure what the effects will be.

Glad to see you're as positive as always! ;)

You must suddenly really like those few 'drain' maps that you complained about earlier and even didn't want to approve....

Quote from: jasvinderm on August 18, 2010, 09:06:07 PM
I have noticed in the screen shot it says double speed xD just wondering?

This is probably one of the planned changes that Virgil already implemented for the final release. My guess is that it has something to do with fast forward (see here and here). :)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 18, 2010, 09:38:05 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 18, 2010, 09:17:11 PM
Well, unless you code for this, it's going to mess up some maps where the authors designed it so OC connects to totems to drain resources right off the bat. Other wise, I think it is a substantial change in gameplay and I'm not so sure what the effects will be.

Glad to see you're as positive as always! ;)

You must suddenly really like those few 'drain' maps that you complained about earlier and even didn't want to approve....

Yep, I hate them, but still, I respect the right of authors to use tricks like that.  The link you refer to was for maps that was hard/impossible to complete because they drained OC while sending in creeper/spore waves. If an author can prove completion (now a moot point) even then I would have approved the map.

Karsten75

One more thing about the screen image.

I guess this may become apparent during game play, but I'm not entirely sure. You show ammo (red) with a red button Does that red button mean the red packets are turned off? If I turen off the green totem packets, will the button be green or red? It might get confusing a little until one gets used to it.

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: virgilw on August 18, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Why do I let you guys talk me into this stuff? :)

So I've implemented this in CW1 (yes, CW1 not CW2).  It looks like some form of it will show up in the next drop.  You can see from the attached screen shot the little control panel I put on Odin City.  Three check boxes for the three packet types.  I currently have construction and totem packets unchecked since I foolishly decided to start building a bunch of reactors and hook up to a totem all while trying to power my two weapons.  In this case my weapons are getting resupplied and the building and totem charging are on hold.

I still don't have an indicator on the city... I'll have to think about that.

I'll also have to decide how to handle the requested packets that aren't being delivered.  Right now, they show up in deficit since they have been requested and aren't being fulfilled.  They also dispatch at 32 per second once a checkbox is re-enabled.  So if you have a ton of energy stored up, and you turn back on construction... a gazillion packets come streaming out machine gun style and build everything.  If you don't have bunch of energy stored up then you get a little burst and your energy is drained.

I guess I could do something better... but it's a computational pain to go selectively remove individual packet types from every structure's personal queue... I'll have to experiment and see what works...

I think that this is a good idea. What I find even more impressive is that Virgil took the time to indulge us the fans of CW. Thank you Virgil for this and I cant wait to try it out.

thepenguin

Quote from: virgilw on August 18, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Why do I let you guys talk me into this stuff? :)

So I've implemented this in CW1 (yes, CW1 not CW2).  It looks like some form of it will show up in the next drop.  You can see from the attached screen shot the little control panel I put on Odin City.  Three check boxes for the three packet types.  I currently have construction and totem packets unchecked since I foolishly decided to start building a bunch of reactors and hook up to a totem all while trying to power my two weapons.  In this case my weapons are getting resupplied and the building and totem charging are on hold.

I still don't have an indicator on the city... I'll have to think about that.

I'll also have to decide how to handle the requested packets that aren't being delivered.  Right now, they show up in deficit since they have been requested and aren't being fulfilled.  They also dispatch at 32 per second once a checkbox is re-enabled.  So if you have a ton of energy stored up, and you turn back on construction... a gazillion packets come streaming out machine gun style and build everything.  If you don't have bunch of energy stored up then you get a little burst and your energy is drained.

I guess I could do something better... but it's a computational pain to go selectively remove individual packet types from every structure's personal queue... I'll have to experiment and see what works...

hey, virgil, when's the next update?
We have become the creeper...

knucracker

ASAP...
I need to finish it off so I can focus 100% on CW2.  Some of the things I've done have been good for both games, but those things are nearly complete now so it's getting close to release. 

Pyxis_GeeK

Quote from: virgilw on August 19, 2010, 09:43:14 AM
ASAP...
I need to finish it off so I can focus 100% on CW2.  Some of the things I've done have been good for both games, but those things are nearly complete now so it's getting close to release. 

Sweet!!! Your the best :D

thepenguin

looks like virgil implemented the speed up feature too!!

yes!
We have become the creeper...

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 20, 2010, 09:07:00 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 20, 2010, 08:56:12 PM
OK, I'm not sure my score is quite legit. I was testing out something on maps like these that tries to drain the Odin City reserves.

And? Do you like the new packet disperser filter?

Meh. Just another way to play. Not sure it is a great step either way. It is nice to turn off totem packets during early builds, but I've not yet needed to turn off weapons or build packets, since long playing experience has given me inherent discipline to manage buildings and weapons.  Sure the same applies to you.

Many maps with high totem concentrations will now get different/better high scores IMHO.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 20, 2010, 09:25:08 PM
I've not yet needed to turn off weapons or build packets, since long playing experience has given me inherent discipline to manage buildings and weapons.  Sure the same applies to you.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that....

Karsten75

Quote from: UpperKEES on August 21, 2010, 01:01:59 AM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 20, 2010, 09:25:08 PM
I've not yet needed to turn off weapons or build packets, since long playing experience has given me inherent discipline to manage buildings and weapons.  Sure the same applies to you.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that....

OK, that statement should have been qualified...  But still, I know to manage weapons and building energy. The only thing that is not possible to manage is when you connect or are connected to totems.

Edit: some interesting side effects that are worth noting.

1. A weapon that has ammo will continue to fire until its ammo is depleted when the ammo option is turned off. This is neat in that you don't have to disconnect a weapon from the grid. It allows for intermittent bursts of fire from all weapons by turning on and off this option. It has the drawback that it applies to all weapons on the field, of course. In a way it is the opposite of the "Arm" option on individual weapons and I recall someone has asked for that in the past.

2. A weapon being built will not charge up after it is built. Nice if you want flying SAMs (for instance) without armoring them and without micro-managing them to disable them after the last build packet has arrived and before the first weapons packet is dispatched.

UpperKEES

I would use the first effect when charging the totems for instance. Not sure if I should give away all my idea's at this moment though.... ;)

I agree however that the packet filter will be more useful to less experienced players who tend to build with a deficit, but I have no problem with that. I would use it myself to partially build a civilian unit with some spare energy and stop building it when I'm out of energy due to a spore attack for instance. Or do it the other way around: briefly give priority to finishing that one reactor because my weapons will keep firing for a few seconds anyway. Okay, enough free tips for now. ;D

UpperKEES

See here for some tips how to use the packet type filter to your advantage.

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 21, 2010, 01:26:05 AM
1. A weapon that has ammo will continue to fire until its ammo is depleted when the ammo option is turned off. This is neat in that you don't have to disconnect a weapon from the grid. It allows for intermittent bursts of fire from all weapons by turning on and off this option. It has the drawback that it applies to all weapons on the field, of course. In a way it is the opposite of the "Arm" option on individual weapons and I recall someone has asked for that in the past.

Finally, I always wanted some shootout stance.

Karsten75

And if someone wants to see what I think can be done with the new mod, check out the score improvement on this map. Previously I would not have played this type of map even. Now I'm the high-score leader by about 9 minutes. I expect that once the mod becomes available my score will be unseated by some of the top players. It would be interesting to see where the score ends up.