CW3: support for connection retry / timeout

Started by moo, August 12, 2014, 09:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moo

It has been bad days for us since for a long time, as connecting out of China is unstable randomly blocked by ISP (or gov, should i say). But it seems that creeper world 3 won't timeout on a low connection when updating the map list, it won't retry the connection on connection lost when i force close (or watch it lost) the TCP connection of cw3.exe using tcpview

Please add a timeout/retry to it :)

knucracker

The game uses Unity's APIs for making http requests, which in turn uses mono's networking APIs.  In short, there isn't a lot I can do at the network level.  You can try clicking the "Refresh Map List From Server" button at the top of Colonial Space.  That initiates a new request.  But if you have an old request that is pending, that won't timeout till the lower level APIs timeout.  If you are running on windows you can probably tweak your TCP timeout settings to make for less of a wait.

exostum

This also concerns those like me who a hybrid slow/high speed connexion

20 days out of 30 I have a 300k/s connexion that drops on 8k/s for the 10 days remaining

When I am on high speed i have almost no problem with CS but on low speed I sometimes won't get any maps at all or i will need to wait some minutes to get any maps at all.

With low speed i also cant rate maps. (they say can't communicate or something like this)

I can try now to debug problems because I am on low speed until 16/08

My Work in progress Maps (On hold for now)

moo

unlucky for the unity api, but can you discard (instead of stopping) the request and just make a new request to the server. even if the old one arrives we just ignore it