Missing Stuff, Bugs, Observations, and Questions.

Started by 4xC, October 10, 2020, 03:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4xC

Now that the demo is out, I'm back and catching whatever I can or questioning things I thought would be added but didn't. And whatever I find or question, I'll just add to this thread as I go on.

From the looks of the hotkeys menu, there's no way to adjust the game speed apart from manually clicking the UI.

From big height differences, pylon cannot seem to connect to each other too close even on the flat terrain, but from the same height difference and distance, towers can connect. Is the ground blocking paths?

Speaking of ground blockage, is it also making cannons not shoot at creeper even if it's in range but in deep cracks or crevices?

Seems there's no notification for destroyed or nullified units, or maybe it's crammed into the rather voluminous UI. Is there?

The demo level that introduces blob nests, redon, spore launchers,  etc. from what I could tell did not include a notice explaining blob nests.

Also, what kind of target setting do spore launchers have? I see their payloads going to places that hit the void and empty spaces away from the network, providing no strategic point like old spores always did.

Question: what controls path visibility? It's blocking much view of the weapons and creeper. There's a lot of unbound hotkeys that trigger a bunch of visibilities, but it looks like there are more hotkeys than actual keys, so I'm not sure what to bind without double binding. Got a glossary of what each action does?

As I go on and find out more, I'll add to this post. I'm just gonna keep my stuff contained in one topic. Good to be back in the CW testing field again.
C,C,C,C

Karsten75

Just so you know, if you add to the top post, it will not be flagged as new or unread and hence no-one will notice that you made changes.

Quote from: 4xC on October 10, 2020, 03:04:50 AM
Now that the demo is out, I'm back and catching whatever I can or questioning things I thought would be added but didn't. And whatever I find or question, I'll just add to this thread as I go on.

From the looks of the hotkeys menu, there's no way to adjust the game speed apart from manually clicking the UI.

From big height differences, pylon cannot seem to connect to each other too close even on the flat terrain, but from the same height difference and distance, towers can connect. Is the ground blocking paths?

Distance in all 3 directions, as well as line-of-sight issues may affect connection distances.

Speaking of ground blockage, is it also making cannons not shoot at creeper even if it's in range but in deep cracks or crevices?
Again, line of sight means that, depending on the relative height of the cannon and the creeper, line of sight may be obscured.

Seems there's no notification for destroyed or nullified units, or maybe it's crammed into the rather voluminous UI. Is there?
Bottom left corner, the Creeper Graph gets red asterisks when a unit is destroyed. Hovering your cursor over it will activate a a pointer to the precise location.

The demo level that introduces blob nests, redon, spore launchers,  etc. from what I could tell did not include a notice explaining blob nests.

Also, what kind of target setting do spore launchers have? I see their payloads going to places that hit the void and empty spaces away from the network, providing no strategic point like old spores always did.{/quote]
Units can target either
Random locations (most demo missions do this)
Structures (Day of Infamy in the demo does this)
Location a specific location, specified by the map maker or via 4RPL. This will be demonstrated in a future mission.

Question: what controls path visibility? It's blocking much view of the weapons and creeper. There's a lot of unbound hotkeys that trigger a bunch of visibilities, but it looks like there are more hotkeys than actual keys, so I'm not sure what to bind without double binding. Got a glossary of what each action does?
Sorry, no, you're going to have to experiment to figure out what works for you.

Grabz

Can you screenshot this? Pylons should be able to connect to each other at close range if there is no obstruction, otherwise you might've found a bug, but it is hard to give any feedback on this without a visual.

Cannons can't physically aim too low due to the barrel clipping their base, so their vertical line of sight is limited.

Options that you don't need to toggle often mid-mission and you can just "set and forget" don't really need you to have a keybind, you can go in options and toggle them permanently there based on your liking.

As for the rundown:
Top View: Switches to 2D top down view.
Flatten AC: Disables AC visibility to only showing a small indication on the ground that AC is present. Great for visibility under AC, but you will not be able to tell AC levels on terrain easily. Good keybind.
Transparent Creeper: Makes Creeper and AC less opaque. Can be a good alternative to Flatten AC when it comes to seeing things. IMO good keybind.
Enemy Outlines: Makes all enemies have a red outline, so that they are easier to spot under creeper. Good permanent toggle.
Eco Spike: Creates a tall spike rather than a small hole in the ground whenever a tree is consumed by Creeper.
Enhance Special Terrain: Makes special terrain look sharper, more visible. (in demo, mostly resource terrain and decay terrain is what this affects)
Map Indicator: (not sure what this does)
Hover Paths: Make a unit's hidden network paths show up when it is hovered over.
Disable Shake: No screen shake.
Hide Creeper Lines: Disables creeper contours.
Hide AC Lines: Disables AC contours. Good for visibility.
Hide Paths: Automatically hides network paths that haven't been used in the last few seconds. Good for decluttering the screen.
Hide Mist: Disable mist effect when creeper is hit.
Hide Explosions: Disable explosions.
Hide Mesh: Disables showing mesh. (IDK why this exists)
Hide Shields: Disable shield dome. In the future this setting will flatten the shield dome, for now it disables it completely.
Hide UI: Hides all UI, it only becomes visible when hovered over.

As I go on and find out more, I'll add to this post. I'm just gonna keep my stuff contained in one topic. Good to be back in the CW testing field again.
Please post a new comment rather than edit your original message, or we won't see that something new was added.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

4xC

Here are my 2 screenshots.

Also, is there a way to stop construction after a blueprint of a building has been placed? It doesn't look like there's a deactivate option.
C,C,C,C

Grabz

I'm not sure what your screenshots are showing - they're from two different missions, and the bottom screenshot shows connections at significantly different terrain elevations, which is factored into connection length.

Quote from: 4xC on October 10, 2020, 09:49:40 PM
Also, is there a way to stop construction after a blueprint of a building has been placed? It doesn't look like there's a deactivate option.

[UNIT: OFF] = Deactivate

There's also a keybind for it:
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

4xC

In the Screenshot of "Home", I have a cursor box around 4 cannons that are not shooting at the creeper between them.

Is that spot too deep for them?
C,C,C,C

Grabz

They can't aim low enough. They need to have a clear line of sight to the ground in order to be able to fire there.

4xC

If a porter base is set to collect and deliver bluite, shouldn't a connected bluite ore source be sending packets to it?

Spoiler
I'm on level 15 and have tried this and so far, it doesn't seem to be working.
[close]
C,C,C,C

GoodMorning

That's come up a few times during the beta, I'd understood that in the full game (not the demo) it's been changed. I'd suggest looking at the GitHub bug list to see a history, and see if your problem is actually intended behaviour. If not, that's the place to report the bug.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

4xC

Question about dark towers; if they block bombers from dropping their payloads, shouldn't they also deny mortar shells and cannon shots?

Another thing, and this is entirely plot-related:

Spoiler
The info cache on level 17 suggests that Earth and Origin World are the same planet, but Particle Fleet says that they are 2 separate worlds. IS there a context I'm missing? And as for being hundreds of civilizations after the first creeper attack against humanity as the text suggests, does this mean that the plot of the game is now hundreds of CE's ahead of PF? Especially owing to all the time jumps between levels instead of world hops?

I'll probably work on the last 3 levels before I ask any further, but I'm stuck on 17; all the redon is blocked by a thick creeper wall and it takes too much time and energy to saturate the whole starting island with anticreeper.
[close]
C,C,C,C

4xC

Quote from: 4xC on December 09, 2020, 12:29:09 AM
Question about dark towers; if they block bombers from dropping their payloads, shouldn't they also deny mortar shells and cannon shots?

Another thing, and this is entirely plot-related:

Spoiler
The info cache on level 17 suggests that Earth and Origin World are the same planet, but Particle Fleet says that they are 2 separate worlds. Is there a context I'm missing? And as for being hundreds of civilizations after the first creeper attack against humanity as the text suggests, does this mean that the plot of the game is now hundreds of CE's ahead of PF? Especially owing to all the time jumps between levels instead of world hops?

I'll probably work on the last 3 levels before I ask any further, but I'm stuck on 17; all the redon is blocked by a thick creeper wall and it takes too much time and energy to saturate the whole starting island with anticreeper.
[close]

To add to my previous questions, what does the "avoid creeper" option do?

And about level 20:

Spoiler
What does the damper orbital do and what is the duration of all the orbitals? I fell out of sync with some attempts to use them because I didn't see any timers.

And what is the minimum connection range and terrain height to reach the blimps/thors?

Another plot-related question: where is the time of the last 3 levels compared to the timeline of the rest of the game? I know the plot line is mostly "accidental" but would it be possible to compose a full timeline of current known events in chronological order?

[close]
C,C,C,C

GoodMorning

"Avoid Creeper" is on by default, and causes the unit to move above Creeper in order to avoid damage. It's optional because sometimes it's better to just tank the damage, for one reason or another.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.