Custom Map: Nice Job 13: The Soccer Player

Started by AutoPost, May 30, 2010, 12:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Nice Job 13: The Soccer Player

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Only 12 days left till the World Championships of the most popular sport on Earth: soccer! Now combine your soccer skills with your CW skills and make it to the next round. Just 11 players up against a fearless opponent; will you be able to score a goal?

UpperKEES

Title:
Nice Job 13: The Soccer Player
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land & Air
Remarks:
Only 12 days left till the World Championships of the most popular sport on Earth: soccer! Now combine your soccer skills with your CW skills and make it to the next round. Just 11 players up against a fearless opponent; will you be able to score a goal?
Description:
For once you start off with a completely green field. You can still smell the freshly mowed grass of your home stadium, where you will play your first match as a soccer player for the Red Raiders.

Today your team is up against the Blue Bullies, feared for their relentless style of play.

Your coach, Mr. Drone, quickly gives you the last instructions for your new job:

- You will be playing mid-field today.
- First play one-on-one. Later on you might want to change your strategy.
- Beware, defenders are always stronger than attackers.
- Make sure you substitute the two players in the dug-out.
- After 30 seconds the enemy coach will start shouting very loud and will keep doing so every half minute; don't let it hold you back.
- Finally, score a goal. One is enough if we keep our defences tight enough.
- You can always ask me for support.
- When it takes the crowd too long before they see some action, they will start throwing trash on the field. Make sure they don't hit you.

Good luck and don't disappoint me! We've paid quite some money for you....
Download page:
Nice Job 13: The Soccer Player
Full size screen shot:
More maps:
Apply here for another job ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Tibz

Good map... really enjoyed it. It held my attention and despite several restarts, I wanted to get to the end. It's going to take me a couple of attempts to beat it before the spores kick in, but I'm going to give it a go

Tibz

UpperKEES

Thanks Tibz! :)

It's a bit different map than most people are probably used to, because you can't build more weapons than the ones provided. Losing one of them probably means failure.

I guess most people will at least have to restart one time after they realize how to handle the enemy coach and save the people in the dug-out.

Spoiler
The spores shouldn't cause too much trouble, as there's only 1 per 'wave', but when you like to beat in under 10 minutes (when the first one arrives), I suggest you first build up your complete infrastructure before you engage the creeper. From the moment you do, you should be able to score that goal within 2-3 minutes.
[close]

My own time was set with quite a few mistakes (I did build 4 SAMs, lost 2 essential collectors and timed my drone attack wrong, making me wait for it to recharge again), so I think a completion time between 8:00 and 8:30 should be possible.

Tibz

Managed 9.27... Is it cheating in football to go around the back of the net?

UpperKEES

Congrats, you did it!

Quote from: Tibz on May 31, 2010, 07:04:38 PM
Is it cheating in football to go around the back of the net?

No, not in this case. I knew this is possible, but I figured you'd have to clear out a lot more creeper than when you would score from the front (2 blasters clear this area instantly and keep it clear until a collector has been build without resupplies).

Any additional hints for other players?

NNR_Alex

heh my score is pretty bad.  My advise is i think most the emitters can be capped with a blaster ontop.  the front three then the next two, the dead center one, and i think two of the defense ones can be capped, i know i capped one of them for sure so the other should be no diffrent.  the goalie can't be capped and i made my final connection behind the feild line as well with careful drone timing.  start up took me a while, i'm not even sure how i'd discribe it as just getting going was kind of a blur, i connecting to one of the blasters right away and then made a collector right infront of it into one of the trench areas so there'd still be a path after i moved it, and i put it between the two dugouts that one blaster was able to keep the creeper at bay.  from there it was trial and error, i lost some progress trying to figure out which blaster would target the paticular emitter, move the wrong one and there goes a few collectors and about 3 minutes of progress.

UpperKEES

Quote from: NNR_Alex on May 31, 2010, 09:39:01 PM
heh my score is pretty bad.  My advise is i think most the emitters can be capped with a blaster ontop.  the front three then the next two, the dead center one, and i think two of the defense ones can be capped, i know i capped one of them for sure so the other should be no diffrent.  the goalie can't be capped and i made my final connection behind the feild line as well with careful drone timing. 

Yeah, except for the goalie all emitters can be capped by one blaster. You don't want to keep playing 1-on-1 however, as the training already mentioned. ;)

Quote from: NNR_Alex on May 31, 2010, 09:39:01 PM
start up took me a while, i'm not even sure how i'd discribe it as just getting going was kind of a blur, i connecting to one of the blasters right away and then made a collector right infront of it into one of the trench areas so there'd still be a path after i moved it, and i put it between the two dugouts that one blaster was able to keep the creeper at bay.  from there it was trial and error, i lost some progress trying to figure out which blaster would target the paticular emitter, move the wrong one and there goes a few collectors and about 3 minutes of progress.

That's indeed what I do at the start. Just gave it another shot and finished around 8 minutes. There's still room for improvement, so I guess 7:30 is doable.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Tibz on May 31, 2010, 07:04:38 PM
Is it cheating in football to go around the back of the net?

Quote from: UpperKEES on May 31, 2010, 07:26:31 PM
No, not in this case. I knew this is possible, but I figured you'd have to clear out a lot more creeper than when you would score from the front (2 blasters clear this area instantly and keep it clear until a collector has been build without resupplies).

Spoiler
I have to admit that I used this approach the second time I played this map, improving my score by about one and a half minute, because you can bypass two emitters. This also means you can still finish the map when you lose one blaster along the way. :)
[close]

Miss Melissa

GOAL!
good map.
hard start, but i was persistent. that was a near perfect game as far as time and energy, i think it may take you a while to beat my score.. hoping anyways..  :P

UpperKEES

Hehehe! Once again we battle on a soccer map.... ;D

The first one was for you, but I hope you'll understand I'm not giving in this time! :P

Now the World Championships in South Africa have kicked off I'm in the right mood anyway, so I might combine my next attempt with a nice match on TV.

Your time is indeed pretty tight; it's 1 second faster than what I considered to be possible! :o I always love it when you beat me on my own map at my favorite game, but this time you've also beaten me at my favorite sport! You have my respect smart lady!  8)

Edit: by the way, tomorrow we (The Netherlands) play against Denmark, so that's gonna be a great match to watch (and I certainly won't play CW during that one!).

UpperKEES

Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 13, 2010, 03:52:41 AM
GOAL!
i think it may take you a while to beat my score.. hoping anyways..  :P

And The Netherlands have scored again! ;D

After first missing the goal 4 times.... ;)

Miss Melissa

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 15, 2010, 02:00:41 PM
Quote from: Miss Melissa on June 13, 2010, 03:52:41 AM
GOAL!
i think it may take you a while to beat my score.. hoping anyways..  :P

And The Netherlands have scored again! ;D

After first missing the goal 4 times.... ;)

damn, oh well.. at least i scored once  :P

UpperKEES

Feel free to try again (is what you once told me ;)). The World Championships will last for 3 more weeks, so time enough.

To my surprise I shaved about one and a half minute off my time, so I guess you can improve yourself by 50 seconds.