Upgrading Computer

Started by Blaze, November 02, 2012, 03:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

All I can say is that the CPU has to be hotter than room temperature. Now it may be that you have a sub-60F room....
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 03, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
All I can say is that the CPU has to be hotter than room temperature. Now it may be that you have a sub-60F room....

It's not under 60F in my room.
I don't know what's up with the processor.
However the video card I am concerned with.

I don't seem to be getting full power from it, or an update screwed this game up.
I'll have to try a different game, but need to help make dinner.

So much to do so little time. :-\

Blaze

Drivers are up to date, other game I wanted to try locks my computer up on a black screen, have to shut down holding power button.
Going to get that cable for disc drive and install the software from the disc, and if that doesn't work then I don't know anymore.

Blaze

Ahh, the feeling of fixing something and having no clue how you fixed it.

Do I win? ::)

Blaze

Did a test run and it went perfectly.

Here are the temps while it's all under load using Speccy and GPU-Z for the temps.

Grauniad

So is it more awesome than you hoped for?

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 06, 2013, 09:46:38 AM
So is it more awesome than you hoped for?

Yes!
Some games like open world ones still cause my fps to drop, but it's more than playable. ;D

Thank you for all the help you provided me.

Michionlion

So, I'm curious.  I have about $1000 to blow on the best computer I can make...  but how much was your build Blaze?
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

Build the Best PC for your Buck. The article has been archived and you have to read through the whole PDF to find it.

You can find similar articles at Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.

Blaze

Quote from: Michionlion on July 06, 2013, 08:34:15 PM
So, I'm curious.  I have about $1000 to blow on the best computer I can make...  but how much was your build Blaze?

Started at $500, these upgrades cost an extra $200 leaving it at a little over $700 as I still have a few things to take care of.
If I had the choice, I'd build from scratch, but I had no computer and needed one pre-built just to have something to use.

Grauniad

Also a very good starting point are the Newegg DIY combos.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-Combos/PromotionStore/ID-33

Stay with Intel, they outperform AMD in every aspect.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 07, 2013, 09:46:42 AM
Also a very good starting point are the Newegg DIY combos.

http://www.newegg.com/DIY-PC-Combos/PromotionStore/ID-33

Stay with Intel, they outperform AMD in every aspect.

You say as my computer is all AMD. ::)

Grauniad

Well, if you want cheap, you can't beat AMD. Also, your computer (CPU) was a done deal by the time I got involved. :)

For $1,000, you can build a nifty gaming PC and I won't be recommending AMD for that.

I think my PC (without monitor) came in at well under that amount. But that involved swapping the super gaming card I had in an older PC for the HD 7770 and using the better HD7950 in mine. No-one here noticed the difference. :)

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 07, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
Well, if you want cheap, you can't beat AMD. Also, your computer (CPU) was a done deal by the time I got involved. :)

For $1,000, you can build a nifty gaming PC and I won't be recommending AMD for that.

I think my PC (without monitor) came in at well under that amount. But that involved swapping the super gaming card I had in an older PC for the HD 7770 and using the better HD7950 in mine. No-one here noticed the difference. :)

Yeah, it was a done deal.
However it's working for my needs, OC'd to 4.0 GHz I shouldn't be needing any upgrades for awhile now.
I could push it farther by upping the voltage, found a program that can work around the OEM voltage lock, but I don't want to risk it. :D

Grauniad

The very best (ever) OC CPUs are the Sandy Bridge K-series. Later Intel models has paste and not solder for the TIM between the chip and the case. Some OC fanatics delid the Ivy-bridge CPUs to get better heat conductivity.