Upgrading Computer

Started by Blaze, November 02, 2012, 03:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 02, 2013, 10:27:09 PM
Any beeps?

No, but I took another look and checked alllllll the connections, I missed one for the CPU
However, my PSU didn't have a simple 2x2 plug, only a 4x2.

So halfway through unplugging everything, I take a look to see if I could split the 4x2 plug.
Ineed I could, it simply snaps together or apart, thus I plugged it in and it's booting up as I type this.

Success! ;D

I'll upload pictures once I install the graphics card.
Saying I can find a digital copy of the disc for the drivers to install it.
The cord for the disc driver to send info to the motherboard is too short.
It was long enough in the old case, but with where the motherboard is set compared to where the disc drive is, it's now too short.

That and this case is much, much bigger.
And the airflow in it is superb because of that, it's no longer all cramped in there.

So hard to type on this tiny laptop keyboard...

But first, I need to eat and rest my back as it's killing me. ::)

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 02, 2013, 10:42:08 PM
Awesome. Good luck.

I need it, my computer now has a one bar connection to the net when it was 4-5 bar.
Can a simple case change screw that up..?

Can't even load forums to post from it, have to use dad's laptop again.

Grauniad

What do you use as the computer's Internet connection? Wireless or Ethernet? Is it a card? where is it installed.

If you need help you need to give us details to work with.

Grauniad

Blaze. I'm in chat if you want to discuss more... Not sure for long, it's nearly time for TV.

asmussen

Quote from: Grauniad on July 02, 2013, 10:52:59 PM
What do you use as the computer's Internet connection? Wireless or Ethernet? Is it a card? where is it installed.

If you need help you need to give us details to work with.

I assume that if he's talking about how many bars he has, it has to be a wireless connection.

Shawn Asmussen

Blaze

Posting this from my computer to let you know I've fix the connection issue and taped the end of the metal plate that is the tip of the antenna to the top of my desktop.
It's soldered onto this metal plate that has room for a screw, and I couldn't find a place to screw it in. ::)

Blaze

Well, this case is definitely well ventilated.
I booted it up when I woke up, went downstairs to take a shower and eat, come back in my room and all I smell is computer. :D

I'm going to be installing the 7770 later on, I'll post all the pictures once that's taken care of.

Grauniad

Quote from: Blaze on July 03, 2013, 01:24:58 PM
... all I smell is computer. :D

As opposed to? Smelly feet?

How does a computer smell?

Seriously, is there a smell in the room? Then something is perhaps too hot. Use Speccy, speedfan and CPU-Z to check fan speeds and temperatures.

When you have the Video card in, add GPU-Z. :)

And I'll be sending you a bill for the dent in my forehead...  :P

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 03, 2013, 01:30:38 PM
Quote from: Blaze on July 03, 2013, 01:24:58 PM
... all I smell is computer. :D

As opposed to? Smelly feet?

How does a computer smell?

Seriously, is there a smell in the room? Then something is perhaps too hot. Use Speccy, speedfan and CPU-Z to check fan speeds and temperatures.

When you have the Video card in, add GPU-Z. :)

And I'll be sending you a bill for the dent in my forehead...  :P

My room normally smells a tad dusty, but in a nice way.
And computer smells like, electronic... It's very hard to explain. :D
I also don't believe the smell is bad, it's just noticeable and easy to ignore.

As for that dent in your forehead, that's my gift for you to remember me by. ::)

Put a Speccy shot up anyhow.

Grauniad

That 15°C on the CPU is impossible. Unless you live in a refrigerator and even then I'm doubtful.

On a related note. You mention that the connectors for the optical drive is too short. Can you post some pictures? what does the optical drive use? old IDE or newer SATA? In either instance you should be able to get longer cables. post picture of cables if possible. most preferable showing them in place in the computer.

Grauniad

Something is whacked. Look back at your previous speccy shot. the CPU temp was in line with other components.

**VERY CAREFULLY** Touch the heatsink on the CPU. Mot the fan, not any component other than the heatsink. Make sure your other hand is on the case somewhere metallic to ground you. To be safer. power the CPU down by pressing the power button until the machine shuts down, then very quickly test the temperature of the heatsink.

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on July 03, 2013, 02:35:40 PM
Something is whacked. Look back at your previous speccy shot. the CPU temp was in line with other components.

**VERY CAREFULLY** Touch the heatsink on the CPU. Mot the fan, not any component other than the heatsink. Make sure your other hand is on the case somewhere metallic to ground you. To be safer. power the CPU down by pressing the power button until the machine shuts down, then very quickly test the temperature of the heatsink.

I was just in there installing the 7770, I grazed the heatsink while taking a cable out and the computer had been off for about three minutes.
It wasn't hot at all.

Quote from: Grauniad on July 03, 2013, 02:34:11 PM
That 15°C on the CPU is impossible. Unless you live in a refrigerator and even then I'm doubtful.

I have AC on in my room, and it's quite cool in here, along with I'm not doing anything CPU intensive, couldn't that allow it to drop low?
That was taken while my computer was idle.

Quote from: Grauniad on July 03, 2013, 02:34:11 PM
On a related note. You mention that the connectors for the optical drive is too short. Can you post some pictures? what does the optical drive use? old IDE or newer SATA? In either instance you should be able to get longer cables. post picture of cables if possible. most preferable showing them in place in the computer.

It uses newer SATA, my dad will be taking me out this weekend to buy a longer cable along with a better internet card.

As for pictures they'll be up shortly, just making sure I have the drivers for my card.
I used the AMD auto-detect program and it says I do, when I booted my computer it launched in 800x600 and installed stuff then needed to be rebooted.
I rebooted it and it launched back in 1920x1080 and then I went online to look for the drivers to get to that conclusion.

I'm guessing my computer installed the drivers from the internet during that first bootup?

I just took another Speccy shot for you, when loading it was up at 30C and went down to idle at 16-18C fairly quickly, about one every second or so.
I could do a stress test and take temp readings then?

Bear in mind I've overclocked it to 4.0 GHz without raising the voltage, and allow it to idle at ~700 MHz when it's not in use.
It's base clock is 2.6 GHz before I got to it, and it idled at 1.5 GHz too.

Blaze

Pictures~

Pictures!

Graphics card and the Tower still in the box.

Front of the tower.

Power Supply in the box.

Making sure the Graphics Card fit before I did anything else.

Case as it stands now. (With backup battery. ;D)

Sata Cable for the Disc Drive using my arm for measuring because I was too lazy to get up and use the measuring tape I have.

[close]

I honestly thought I took more pictures of the process, I guess I just got carried away...
The Sata cable is about two inches short from the disc drive, and still too short if I put it in the bottom drive bay.

The mess of cords behind my desktop is all bundled down and does not restrict airflow from behind the case, for those curious. ::)

Blaze

Playing a YouTube video brought my CPU temp up to 25C.

Going to play a few games shortly and see how things fair then.