Started by AutoPost, February 06, 2015, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1712: Demon's Candy

Author: ShizuokaJPN
Size: 256x84

Desc:

D0m0nik

Was doing ok with this and then 20 spores every 6 seconds cut in, I give up, way to difficult and I love difficult maps!

Would be better with easier access to aether so you could upgrade a decent amount before it hits.

I give up, shame as it is a spectacularly good looking map!

RrR

The island on the far right doesn't emit creeper till 5:40. If you can nullify it first, it should be possible to attach the manic spore tower.

I was about 10 seconds to slow, and didn't get the emitter, so gave up for now. The start is tight.

Spoiler
Once you have nullified the nearby emitter, but there is still creeper covering the PZ, drop a beam there for a second when spores are in range. Very energy efficient.
[close]

D0m0nik

Yeah I got that island on the very farright but without being able to majorly upgrade, the beam is ineffective against the 20 spores every 6 secs. I will give it another go, certainly very tricky!

pastor.healer

Made it to 54 minutes and then groups of twenty spores started coming out at around 10sec intervals. 

What's I loved about this map is that is is a hard to get started one.  Check! 

It is very hard to get a foothold until the strategy is found.  Check!   

It is a well designed map graphically, difficult all the way through.  Check! 

Then come the waves of spores which don't stop.  Uncheck...

Time to move on...  :(

RrR

If you have the far right island, can't you PZ terp the small island near the manic spore tower and then nullify it?

D0m0nik

I tried this RrR, you can terp it if you upgrade range but there is not enough space to build a nullifier and get power to it. I am a bit bamboozled!

RrR

The trick might be to fly a fully loaded CN over the nullifier. Will need to terp two areas flat. Not sure where the second one can go until the end game.

pastor.healer

RrR, how do you fly a CN over that area when there is no landing place?  Is that possible?

RrR

You would have to terp a landing place first. The far right island would be the destination. Not sure where the start could be that would put the nullifier in range.

D0m0nik

Hey ShizuokaJPN, how did you do this level? We all seem to be a but stumped and no one has managed to post a time yet!

Tyler21

This map is awesome, both the design and the challenge.

I liked that it forced me to think and plan a lot, even after I managed to settle a decent base. You have to use the AOOs very wisely and nullify at least one of the massive spore towers as soon as possible. The terrain is really difficult, you have to terraform all along and the endgame is brilliant. When you believe that you are close to victory, you suddenly realize that it's not that straightforward and needs a trick to solve (RrR got it right).

Although this map has currently fewer than 100 downloads (I hope this will change as this is a great map!), I'll add it to my collection of the most challenging maps in Colonial Space.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

D0m0nik

I didn't think the first time around of even collecting the AOOs, I switched off the resupply to 2 guppies and used them for additional power, I for some reason thought AOOs had to be connected to the CN traditionally, like collecting other items.

I will have to revisit this map as I agree it is impressive.

I am still not sure how to take out a spore tower early on but the AOOs may hold the key to the bottom one.

Tyler21

Well, I didn't collect the AOOs at the start and I didn't even use them to nullify the spore towers :) I just mentioned these two things as separate elements for success.
Actually, I could take out the first spore tower only after all but one was already operating, and because of the rough terrain I don't think it's possible to do it earlier. The AAOs are important to break through a very difficult part where normally you would have to spend too much time.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!

D0m0nik

Wow, finally got there after many, many revisits! What a challenge, without doubt one of the hardest (if not the hardest) I have played.

Spoiler

You can use the AOOs very early on to take out two of the beams, one nest and a big emitter, I have attached an image. This made life quite straight forward. I would have liked the AOOs at other points but I could take the small islands thanks to a LOT of starfers and a few bombers on PZs
I then used guppies to speed up the aether extraction, this was laborious but necessary.
[close]

It seems the author only ever made this one epic map, shame, it is a masterpiece!