Author: EddyPro
Size: 100x100

Desc:
A race to eliminate the 3 spore towers before they recharge

burguertime

Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Katra

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

teknotiss

Quote from: burguertime on April 23, 2014, 09:40:17 PM
nope.

Quote from: Katra on April 28, 2014, 11:20:10 PM
Epic fail.  >:(

could we all please not leave pointless, borderline nasty, comments? if you don't like this one then either: criticize constructively or leave it and move on.
comments like these are unhelpful and unpleasant, and i personally would find them frustrating if they were about one of my maps, since they don't tell the author why you either won't do the map or dislike it.  ::)

so i'm going to give it a shot (missed seeing this one somehow ???) and see if i can give some useful feedback.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Randomgold

Quote from: teknotiss on April 29, 2014, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: burguertime on April 23, 2014, 09:40:17 PM
nope.

Quote from: Katra on April 28, 2014, 11:20:10 PM
Epic fail.  >:(

could we all please not leave pointless, borderline nasty, comments? if you don't like this one then either: criticize constructively or leave it and move on.
comments like these are unhelpful and unpleasant, and i personally would find them frustrating if they were about one of my maps, since they don't tell the author why you either won't do the map or dislike it.  ::)

so i'm going to give it a shot (missed seeing this one somehow ???) and see if i can give some useful feedback.

I believe their poor reception to the map lies with the fact that it seems abnormally difficult, bordering on impossible.  With no beams, shields, or other weapons to defend against spores and the resulting creeper, the only defense is, as the descriptions says, nullify them before they fire.  But, with the jagged, rough terrain, the only way to do this is terraforming just enough to advance.  But, as we all know, a single terp is slow, especially without upgrades.  So, the basic strategy is to use either a single terp and make just enough 3x3 squares to put in relays and a terp on, or to make a lot of terps and make a much broader area.  Either way, it's going to take awhile to do, and you only have 5 minutes before the first spores fire.  Not a lot of time for a map that relies entirely on a slow process.  It turns a map that's supposed to be a race into a hopeless slog that requires 100% perfect timing for everything.  It's not a pleasant experience.  If one wanted to improve it, I would reposition that starting PZ so it can be useful for something more than a reactor.  Like say, a terp.  That alone would make it much more doable.   

teknotiss

@Randomgold .... that's what i was going to say! :D
and that's what i call constructive criticism! ;)
i'd add that a few mines or some ore in packs with one sprayer (always on, with collector field on too i think!) might add some tactical options  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus