Custom Map #299: MirrorImage [easy version]. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, March 16, 2014, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #299: MirrorImage [easy version]

Author: stewbasic
Size: 182x81

Desc:
A corrupted forge will prevent you from claiming more than half of the territory on this map. Destroy creeper with care - it could jeopardize your efforts on the other side! #CRPL #Digitalis #NoSpores #NoTerps #NoGuppies #NoRelays

stewbasic

Helper

worthstream

OH, finally i can try it. I'm a lousy player, but the hard version was too hard for me.

Asbestos

(image macro of Dr. Evil doing air quotes while saying "Easy Version")

Flabort

Gonna give it a shot, see if all this "Easy" nonesense is really nonsense.

Edit: Figured out first try that the center platforms are not the starting positions.
Figured out the second try that the outer upper corners are not the only starting positions.
Got a firm start on the third try. Posting image of current state.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

worthstream

It was... interesting... to discover that
Spoiler
it is not enough to nullify all the reactors. Actually that was the easy part.
[close]

Pretty unforgiving map, i did not realize i was running out of ore on one side, and without ore you can't hold the high ground for long. I completely lost that side, so just for for moved the Command Core to the other side, filled with creeper and rained it on the map.
The whole map became a shifting patchwork of creeper/ac dotted with exploding buildings. It was great! ;)

stewbasic

Quote from: worthstream on March 18, 2014, 06:19:58 AM
it is not enough to nullify all the reactors. Actually that was the easy part.
In fact you want to leave some emitters, because emitters on the left help you on the right and vice versa. Also your goal is just to power all the totems simultaneously. Lia mentions this at the start but I guess it wasn't clear enough, sorry :/.

orangina

stewbasic

@orangina how far did you get? Flabort's screenshot is a good hint if you have trouble getting started.

MKling

I very much agree with Asbestos on the "Easy version". This is by no means an easy map... I have not yet been able to beat it, but that might be because I first eradicated all the emitters.

Anyway, this is an extremely well done and interesting map. It adds a ton of new aspects to an already interesting game. Very well done.

I will keep trying, and start again keepeing a few well places emitters.

Courtesy

How exactly does this code work?
At first I thought maybe I could push it away with a shield, allowing me to increase my territory slowly, but it looks like my shields just because pseudo emitters if you try that. Additionally it looks next to impossible to actually push creeper off of a spot it's already claimed, which is a problem if we need to connect all the totems.

EDIT: Also am I missing something, or do we have tons of ore deposites and no ore rig?

Flabort

The ore rig enables itself after a time. You just have to survive long enough.

And the sprayers become emitters on the other side of the map, basically. The secret is to approach each 'mirror' totem from a different direction on the other side.

Shields just create more creeper on their side of the map if there's not enough creeper on the other side. If that spot of the map on the mirror side is buried in creeper, the shield will stop producing creeper on it's own side.

Pairing a shield with a sprayer may produce enough creeper on the mirror side to make that portion of that side safe. So where you don't need your network on one side, put a shield and sprayer on the other side; counter this with shields and sprayers around the forming creeper pool.

Basically.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Courtesy

Ya I'm actually doing fine without AC. So I think I'll skip it.
The big thing I'm being cautious about is the looming threat of success. I'm aware I'll suddenly lose all my upgrades, which means I need to keep a cautious mind about my energy use, even if I have 'more than enough' right now.

EDIT: I will say the runners are infinitely so the most annoying aspect of this map to me. They come along just before you can make a sniper rifle.

Courtesy

Alright, last comment on this. I'm dropping the map as "No this isn't easy shutup"
Below I attached a screenshot of the maps final state. Bluntly put this map isn't physically possible with the rules required, unless you do it incredibly quickly to avoid the mirroring rule. Which explains why the only two victories are in 10 minutes and 1 minute

I can see several ways to theoretically complete the map and link all the totems, but the maps geography, combined with the rules of how turrets choose targets creates a situation where it's more or less impossible to actually clear out creeper on the path without clearing out creeper in places you need it to stay. (This is on top of how it evaporates).

The map isn't hard. I'm at no risk of dying, nor have I had any trouble for the last hour. It is however beyond annoying, since the possibility of actually linking all the totems is virtually directly out of reach, and there does not look to be a potential solution to that issue. I could either pluck at it here and there for the next hour or two until the stars allign and my shields actually work with each other, or I can quit now since it's clear it's only a matter of time before I'd link the final totems.

I choose the latter. 7/10 map!