Custom Map #50: Racquet

Started by AutoPost, December 26, 2013, 08:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #50: Racquet

Author: ThirdParty
Size: 20x20

Desc:
This map is as small as maps are allowed to be! And it's tricky! Although there are several possible solutions, none of them are obvious. #Puzzle #NoSpores #NoDigitalis #3P

Michionlion

I am really stumped by this... any hints? (only hints, please, don't tell me how to win...)  Can't seem to terp anything, or get a guppy up in time.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

ThirdParty

Quote from: Michionlion on December 27, 2013, 03:42:14 PMI am really stumped by this... any hints? (only hints, please, don't tell me how to win...)  Can't seem to terp anything, or get a guppy up in time.

Here's one of the viable opening moves:
Spoiler
Build a Mortar on the "ball", shoot creeper with it a bit, then fly it to the "handle" and let it die while you build a Terp on the "ball".  The Terp will be up and running in time to terraform something, albeit probably not the thing you were hoping to terraform.
[close]

Lost in Nowhere

I've been stuck with this map since it was originally released on the forums...
Don't die! :)

Cat

So, I tried that just now, and the only thing I could terraform was the landing pad...

ThirdParty

Quote from: Cat on January 05, 2014, 04:54:57 AM
Quote from: ThirdParty on December 27, 2013, 04:12:02 PMHere's one of the viable opening moves:
A valid opening move.
Build a Mortar on the "ball", shoot creeper with it a bit, then fly it to the "handle" and let it die while you build a Terp on the "ball".
[close]
The Terp will be up and running in time to terraform something, albeit probably not the thing you were hoping to terraform.
So, I tried that just now, and the only thing I could terraform was the landing pad...
Yes, that's right.  Like I said, probably not the thing you were hoping to terraform.  But it's not useless:
Why terraforming the "paddle" is not useless.
If you terraform pits along the south and east edges of the "paddle", it'll take longer for the creeper to reach the northwest corner of the "paddle" in the future.  Sadly the northwest corner of the paddle is outside nullifier range of the emitter, so you'll still be a long way from victory, but progress is progress.
[close]

ea3401

Nice puzzle map. Very tricky.  :)

Godsbrother

Closest I've come is building a mortar.  Then juggling to build a guppy, letting the mortar die to finish the guppy.  Then building a canon and nullifier from the guppy.  I've gotten a nullifier to 41/50 built but can't quite seal the deal(I'd have got it if I could launch a partially loaded guppy) .
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but for now I'm stumped lol, I'll just have to come back to this one later.
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

Michionlion

Same as what I got, but I got to 48/50 before it was destroyed.  I feel like just a tiny amount of luck would help very much.  :P
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

ea3401

Quote from: Godsbrother on January 10, 2014, 06:10:50 AM
... I've gotten a nullifier to 41/50 built ...

Even 50/50 built isn't enough. You need additional 50 energy packets ammo for nullifying.

Godsbrother

True, I misspoke.  I meant 41/50 ammo
"If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true, and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."   Penn Jillette

ThirdParty

Quote from: Godsbrother on January 10, 2014, 06:10:50 AMI've gotten a nullifier to 41/50 built but can't quite seal the deal
Maybe you should consider...
If you can build a Nullifier and get it to 40 charge, then you can build a Terp and get it to 30 charge.
[close]

Quote from: Godsbrother on January 10, 2014, 06:10:50 AMI'd have got it if I could launch a partially loaded guppy
Don't forget that...
Although you can't launch an only-partially-loaded guppy, you can return an only-partially-unloaded guppy for reloading.
[close]

Godsbrother

Thank you for the hint.  It was really burning me that I couldn't figure it out.
I may come back and improve my time sometime, now that I get it I'm sure I can bring it close to the others 5min times

And this is how I did it...

Spoiler
MADE YOU LOOK  :P  hehe.  I like that I got a score on such a short list.  You all well just have to do it with the same hints I had
[close]

And thank you 3P for the maps.  Some of the most interesting(and tough) maps I've played so far.  Outstanding use of CRPL.

Lol, I just noticed that this map has 19 ratings, and only 5 scores.  Not nice down rating something just because it's hard.  Hard does not equal bad.  Mostly I've refrained from rating anything yet, just too early to be sure where on the scale any map should fall.

Freakmeout85

If someone's still reading these forums, hello!
Been playing CW3 for some time now and just recently discovered the forums -> going to try and start actively posting in topics of maps I have not beaten yet, even though there haven't been any comments for some time now in this section.
ANYWAY
Been trying to beat this map & have also checked hints about how to do it, especially the one with building a mortar, then letting it die to creeper, building a TERP asap and trying to terraform something, but it didn't work, and it seems the most viable solution.
The closest I get to having an active TERP is around 51/60 build on the "ball" when creeper starts to invade the SE side of the raquet -> can't terraform anything there, only on the main platform.
I do wait for 25/25 energy on the CC before I start building the TERP but it still doens't help.
So, throw a helping hand please.

Tyler21

Quote from: Freakmeout85 on May 07, 2015, 07:14:33 AM
If someone's still reading these forums, hello!
Been playing CW3 for some time now and just recently discovered the forums -> going to try and start actively posting in topics of maps I have not beaten yet, even though there haven't been any comments for some time now in this section.
ANYWAY
Been trying to beat this map & have also checked hints about how to do it, especially the one with building a mortar, then letting it die to creeper, building a TERP asap and trying to terraform something, but it didn't work, and it seems the most viable solution.
The closest I get to having an active TERP is around 51/60 build on the "ball" when creeper starts to invade the SE side of the raquet -> can't terraform anything there, only on the main platform.
I do wait for 25/25 energy on the CC before I start building the TERP but it still doens't help.
So, throw a helping hand please.

Maybe this riddle will help you:

Spoiler

Walls might be strong
but trenches are deeper;
Don't choose the wrong
to slow down the creeper
[close]

Everything else that is required for victory is already written in the above posts.
"Enjoyment appears at the boundary between boredom and anxiety, when the challenges are just balanced with the person's capacity to act."
― Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Check my collection of the 30 most difficult and challenging maps in Colonial Space!