I absolutely hate the forced rush maps!

Started by Peter1x9, December 05, 2011, 01:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1x9

I can't stand maps such as "Gump" (CW1 special ops), "Day 13:Horror" (CW2 storyline mission), or "The Settlers" (CW1 user space).  I really like using different strategies on the various maps and having at least a little time to start my builds.  Forced rush maps always force the user to follow one specific strategy to the letter, or else either Die Quickly or lose an escape pod and fail quickly.  I don't like being forced to follow a certain script to the letter or die.  Even "The Settlers" wouldn't be too bad...if it would let me relocate at the start.   >:(

Other than these few maps I really like both games.  I really like the almost endless supply of maps and strategies for beating them.   ;D

Grauniad

Hi there, Peter1x9. Welcome. Since you posted this in the "Suggestions" board, I assume you just forgot to add the  suggestion you intended to post on how to circumvent this issue yet keep all the players who do like those maps happy?  :)

My opinion is that most maps, in one way or another, are time trials. If you don't play and finish, the creeper will swamp you. Once the map has been played by, oh say, 60 or 600 people, one can be pretty sure that there is a solution and that it's merely an application of one's mind to find a solution.  I remember seeing here (often) how time-critical maps are subverted by more asture players finding some of those different strategies you allude to.

If you Google "Gump" on YouTube, you will see that there are several videos showing alternate strategies on how to beat this map - from the rather straightforward fight-for-every-inch approaches, to the more innovative "fly Odin City over a small area for a long time" approach.

Perhaps in the fullness of time you might come to appreciate those maps and not consider them as difficult or frustrating. After all, there are a whole bunch more that are *much* worse.  May I suggest you attempt the CW1 map - Perfect Round? Once you have tried and beaten it, let me know which of the at least 3 strategies for that one worked for you. :) Or you may want to move on to these maps by Berman Post and UpperKEES?

There are others, but we'll leave it there for now.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Funkychicken121

-Insert Signature Here-

dodden

Since I came here because of the same issue, I will leave my note in solidarity, but with a suggestion. If there are these areas that are timed, I suggest putting a bypass to allow standard game play without the time issue.

I enjoy the game but all maps I play take over 30 minutes by choice. Because of the way I am playing the game I am not trying to set any speed records. I am not first to 85, and I am not going to be first to doing these games.

This will end up on empty ears, I am sure, but I now have a game that is basically worthless at this point, unless I decide to ever play the timed. I am sure nothing will be done, but a bypass for these timed levels (even turning off the fail pod piece) would be nice. For those reporting times, and tracking scores, notate or don't allow the score to be uploaded.

Karsten75

Quote from: dodden on April 01, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
Since I came here because of the same issue, I will leave my note in solidarity, but with a suggestion. If there are these areas that are timed, I suggest putting a bypass to allow standard game play without the time issue.

I enjoy the game but all maps I play take over 30 minutes by choice. Because of the way I am playing the game I am not trying to set any speed records. I am not first to 85, and I am not going to be first to doing these games.

This will end up on empty ears, I am sure, but I now have a game that is basically worthless at this point, unless I decide to ever play the timed. I am sure nothing will be done, but a bypass for these timed levels (even turning off the fail pod piece) would be nice. For those reporting times, and tracking scores, notate or don't allow the score to be uploaded.

I'm sorry, I don't get it. You *choose* to play slowly? And now you can't progress in the story maps past map 13?

Some things just can't be done slowly. You can't jump slowly across a chasm. You can't slowly cross a busy street. The lights may change, leaving yo uin the middle of a rush of cars. :)

mthw2vc

Quote from: dodden on April 01, 2012, 09:19:47 PMThis will end up on empty ears, I am sure, but I now have a game that is basically worthless at this point, unless I decide to ever play the timed. I am sure nothing will be done, but a bypass for these timed levels (even turning off the fail pod piece) would be nice. For those reporting times, and tracking scores, notate or don't allow the score to be uploaded.
There are plenty of custom maps without such features. Why not play them instead of the main story? Also note that the methods needed to beat harder maps at all are closely related to those used to finish easier maps quickly.