Pulsating Creeper-holes, reliability for buildings, script based actions

Started by supermattze, December 03, 2011, 07:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supermattze

Hi all together.

As a fan of CW1, the time has come to give my small input in future development (how I want to see it^^)

1st) Pulsating Creeper holes

The best about CW is doing unstationary things. As soon as a Creeper-hole is captured by two Blasters you dont have to care about it anymore
I think it would add a lot of thrill when Creeper-holes change their intensity. This can be achieved by changing their output periodically, or even better by changing it in an "intelligent" manner.
e.g.: two Blasters guard a Creeper hole. The output of this hole is reduced and at some time it starts to spit out a huge load of creeper trying to free itself.

2nd) reliability for buildings/units/networks

The CW engine is really fantastic in simulating network behaviour. In network theory redundancy plays a big role. My Idea is to implement a chance of failure in each network element. This means that a blaster or a connection or a powerplant can fail for a short amount of time, 2-3 min for example. That would require completely different building-routines by using redundancies etc.

3rd) script based actions

With script based actions you could vary creeper output on specific occasions. when building on a specific place or moving a unit there a significant detail of the map could be changed. Like increasing creeper output, appearance of new creeper holes or even changing the terrain and destroying elements on some edges.
Triggers could be a specific energy production, a specific number of special buildings etc.

This is my input, I hope you can understand my English.
I would really apreciate to see any of this in future versions.

Let the discussion start.

J

A few things you must know
1) people do not like random things, CW is a strategy game and it's not about luck.
2) For CW1 there mayby come only 1 or 0 updates
3) Script based actions/trigger fields: everyone want's that stuff, it has been suggested many times, also for CW2

Grauniad

Welcome.

As has been pointed out, most CW players compete on time, thus "random" events are not welcome, since it may affect different player differently. One technique that can be used is to stack emitters of varying strength and assign delayed start times to the stronger emitters.

Script- or trigger-based events has long been requested, but present substantial hurdles to implementation.

CW1 is a fully mature game and there is little chance of further development.

Keep your eye open for a future version of the game - who knows what might be in that? But also keep your expectations realistic.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Grauniad on December 03, 2011, 09:49:44 AM
Welcome.

As has been pointed out, most CW players compete on time, thus "random" events are not welcome, since it may affect different player differently. One technique that can be used is to stack emitters of varying strength and assign delayed start times to the stronger emitters.

Script- or trigger-based events has long been requested, but present substantial hurdles to implementation.

Keep your eye open for a future version of the game - who knows what might be in that? But also keep your expectations realistic.
I thought the whole point of this game was being able to adapt yourself to a changing game environment. Thus, if you lose a point you thought you had under control, you should be able to adapt, and find a way to take it back before it causes too much damage. :P Of course, this can be done by stacking emitters, but there's no way to make an emitter burst out a large about of creeper as soon as it's capped.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Kithros

Quote from: Ebon Heart on December 03, 2011, 10:41:32 AM
Welcome.

I thought the whole point of this game was being able to adapt yourself to a changing game environment. Thus, if you lose a point you thought you had under control, you should be able to adapt, and find a way to take it back before it causes too much damage. :P Of course, this can be done by stacking emitters, but there's no way to make an emitter burst out a large about of creeper as soon as it's capped.

With randomness involved the best strategy for a good time is to start over until you get lucky which in my opinion is poor design for a strategy game (in competitive terms anyway). Then on truly difficult maps, it could become genuinely impossible without getting good luck which is even more obnoxious.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Kithros on December 03, 2011, 10:47:24 AM
Quote from: Ebon Heart on December 03, 2011, 10:41:32 AM
Welcome.

With randomness involved the best strategy for a good time is to start over until you get lucky which in my opinion is poor design for a strategy game (in competitive terms anyway). Then on truly difficult maps, it could become genuinely impossible without getting good luck which is even more obnoxious.
Well, not all maps have to be set up for people to get the best score humanly possible. :P you don't like it, don't play it. Go find a less interesting map to pwn.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!