Main Menu

Overkill mode

Started by Reverendhongry, April 22, 2011, 03:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverendhongry

I have an idea for a CW addition (or possibly modification)

The scoring system is pretty much based on being as fast as you can, but that just isn't how I play. I go for total overkill.
My first objective is to completely disable all creeper emitters. I then set about creating a field of reactors, speed boosters, SAMs (even on levels with no spores), storage nodes, basically everything possible. The idea that I go for is not just to suppress the creeper long enough to get out, but to secure the planet against future creeper invasion with a fully automated defense system so that re-inhabiting the planet wouldn't involve anything more than landing your ship.

It would be great if you could get points for being excessively thorough, rather than just surviving.

Does anyone else play this way?

ontheworld

I play like that, but stop building when I get the emitters...

Also the game is made to be as fast as possible. You do it fast for score, or slow and casual

Reverendhongry

I submit here a 3 screenshot progression of how I like to run each map I play. The end result is a decentralized network of generators, speed boosters, and batteries; as well as full SAM coverage, at least 3 blasters per emitter, 2 separate drone bases (a primary and secondary), and a careful avoidance of the last warp node(s) to get the job done. Beyond that I've left plenty of room for residential areas so that future generations need not destroy any of the defense network in order to build houses and, planet permitting, agricultural development. I have made decent standings in the high scores with this, but all told it makes for some mediocre points totals despite the effort it takes.

mthw2vc

Once you get really good at this game, you find that solidly securing most worlds, custom or otherwise, is not that difficult. Something that I think should have a different scoreboard would be playing on double down, a feature unlocked by beating the last 2 Special OPs missions that causes emitters to emit faster, firing 2x as often.
Spoiler
Another point to make is that a major part of the unstated background to the game's story is that, if one allows the creeper time to prepare, rather than quickly moving between worlds, it will come in such a rain that the sky will blacken with falling creeper. The emitters you fight are just sentinels left behind to inform the nexus of the location of any interlopers so that they may be destroyed.
[close]
However, what you ask for is present in the sequel, in which most levels are finished by completely and totally destroying all creeper on a world.

pixlepix

First of all, how would you calculate the score.
Second, the point of a high score is how fast you can do it. Overbuilding doesnt take much skill, which undrbuilding does.
I had a dream that I was playing CW2. It was fun. But, I lost :(

Grauniad

I suggest you read the blog for some information on the modes of play in Creeper World 2. The "Extermination" type of missions might appeal to you.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

LOL

I sort of play that way, except I JUST cap off the emitters.

Ginger88895

no build a thor will save all the work!

ontheworld

I do not see why this thread was revived in such an useless way...

artimies7

Me neither.

I do actually try to cap off everything and then build about a bazillion speed or storage units, just for the hell of it.
Sicsircly, Cappy-tain of Noodles.

Ginger88895

I build reactors instead.

garry131

I play this way just about all the time... CW1.

It's kind of nice to see that I am not the only one going for total overkill.

I don't have to get the entire land area green, but

if I am laying collection points and I get one in the wrong space, (according to my sense of symmetry) I destroy it and fix it.

I like to think I am releasing my inner Monk tendencies.

Then I enjoy the fragile moment when I need only one more collector to win, and simply watch my network pulse.

After my enemy has been thoroughly humiliated, then I end it.

CreeperSlayer

I play this way as well dude XD. It gets so boring just going for the quick escape. So like you, I go for TOTAL OVERKILL. I conquer the entire planet THEN set out to fill the rift totems with packets, so much funner this way.

CreeperSlayer.

2b3o4o

You will probably get bored of playing this way soon. I know I did.

zcxcasd

I play similarly but I like my place to be green
I cover it with collectors, and try to arrange them without any blank spaces inbetween them as possible