Custom Map: Hard Art 9: Firebirds

Started by AutoPost, November 24, 2010, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Hard Art 9: Firebirds

Author: UpperKEES

Desc:
Up for a real challenge? Good, because you'll need some stamina for this one.

Last map in the Hard Art series and about as tough as the first one. Strategical choices will be more important however and bad decisions will be punished severely. See the opening text and comments for some tips.

burguertime

Quote from: AutoPost on November 24, 2010, 09:36:37 AM
Last map in the Hard Art series and

Oh noes, I liked the hard art. Last One? No more? Sob.

XD
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Title:
Hard Art 9: Firebirds
Difficulty:
Expert Only
Creeper type:
Land only
Remarks:
Up for a real challenge? Good, because you'll need some stamina for this one.

Last map in the Hard Art series and about as tough as the first one. Strategical choices will be more important however and bad decisions will be punished severely. See the opening text and comments for some tips.

Description:
This is the last map in the Hard Art series. It's a complete remake of Nice Job 22: The Artist (which turned out a bit easier than I intended and could be finished within 10 minutes).

Changes include:
- Shifted the entire map 1 block to the left to make it perfectly symmetrical.
- Changed colors and added enhanced graphics (which will be the case for all of my future maps).
- Decreased the starting time of the delayed emitters; they now start after 9, 15 and 18 minutes of gameplay.
- Increased the intensity of all emitters slightly.
- Relocated all emitters one block to the left or right to make them less annoying. They now flood the adjacent higher elevations less during the first part of the game and are easier to cap (without your blasters getting damaged).
- Removed the two pre-built structures.
- Added three more upgrades and changed their location.

The main difference in gameplay is that you will need to cap most emitters to be able to finish the map. One blaster is still enough for each of them, but only when this blaster doesn't get distracted by nearby creeper. If you don't take this into account before the first increase at the 9 minute mark your entire network may collapse.

Don't focus on blasters too soon however; your primary defence should consist out of mortars that you may have to send on a bombing run to clear some terrain. Make sure you plan the layout of your network well, so you'll have some space left to add blasters later on. Your choice of weapons and their placement will be crucial!

When you find this map is too hard, you may want to play Nice Job 22: The Artist. The comments for that map also contain a lot of hints that can be applied to this one. You might need them, because this is going to be a rough ride. I sure hope you're up for a challenge!

No need to tell more about M.C. Escher I guess, as you've probably already read enough about him when playing some of my other maps. He's my favorite artist!

Well, I hope you enjoyed playing my hard art maps. Starting next week it's time for something completely new....

ARTIST: Maurits Cornelis Escher
TITLE: Two Birds
MATERIAL: Pencil on paper
YEAR: 1938
DIMENSIONS: 22.8 x 24.3 cm

Download page:
Hard Art 9: Firebirds
Full size screen shot:

Based on:

More art:
See here for more maps about art (and jobs) ;)
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

UpperKEES

Quote from: burguertime on November 24, 2010, 09:44:18 AM
Oh noes, I liked the hard art. Last One? No more? Sob.

Yep, last one of this series, but certainly not my last map. Thanks for liking them though! :)

The next series will be called 'Quagmire Quest' and will consist out of at least 5 maps. Besides enhanced graphics they will feature the use of new game mechanics, hence requiring a different style of play.

I always try to come up with something new, so in my opinion these new maps will be better than my previous ones, but that's of course up to the players to decide.

burguertime

Lolz, I put a post between auto and the description. Totally unintentional. My first try was a wipe, because i did not foresee the emitter increase.
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Quote from: burguertime on November 24, 2010, 10:13:19 AM
Lolz, I put a post between auto and the description. Totally unintentional.

No worries, I just wasn't fast enough. ;)

Quote from: burguertime on November 24, 2010, 10:13:19 AM
My first try was a wipe, because i did not foresee the emitter increase.

Yep, you really want to take those into account. Also have a look at the comments for Nice Job 22: The Artist, as I've posted some tips & hints there that apply to this map as well. It's the easier version, so it might be an alternative when this map turns out to be too hard.

burguertime

I've done it. But doing it during work hours on double speed seems to be detriment to low times.

Also, your blasters are somewhat better than mine, UK, because i had to leave two on each emitter to make sure it stayed down.

(i dont get the fire rate upgrade though)
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Quote from: burguertime on November 25, 2010, 03:08:53 PM
I've done it.

Great job! 8) You actually posted a score earlier than I expected one, so I was already preparing to post a screenshot how to start, but I'll wait one more day with that now I know it's possible without some help.

But doing it during work hours on double speed seems to be detriment to low times.

That will certainly make a difference. Doing this map on double speed actually deserves some extra points!

Also, your blasters are somewhat better than mine, UK, because i had to leave two on each emitter to make sure it stayed down.

(i dont get the fire rate upgrade though)

Spoiler
Hmmm, I guess you can say that the fire rate upgrade indeed makes my blasters better. ;)
[close]

Spoiler
You don't need that upgrade during the first 15 minutes to be able to cap an emitter by one blaster though! Only the later increases require it (and I recommend using it!). You'll have more than enough time to reach all upgrades before that.
[close]

burguertime

Oh well. I've done a LOT of mistakes. One of them was getting to 27 energy collection without a single storage unit. I think i could do it in less than fourty minutes on a second try, but...

If i was not completely exausted after work yesterday, i would've posted by then.

But I do not regret double speed. for me its double the fun at the cost of high scores. Meh, hit me baby one more time.
oOga OoGa to you too.

UpperKEES

Quote from: burguertime on November 25, 2010, 08:42:47 PM
Oh well. I've done a LOT of mistakes. One of them was getting to 27 energy collection without a single storage unit. I think i could do it in less than fourty minutes on a second try, but...

Spoiler
Yeah, not building a storage unit will indeed have cost you quite some time.... Just like collecting 27 energy; I think I used around 20 to finish.
[close]

If i was not completely exausted after work yesterday, i would've posted by then.

Well, I'm happy with your score as it shows other players that it can be done without more hints or help and even without playing very carefully.

But I do not regret double speed. for me its double the fun at the cost of high scores. Meh, hit me baby one more time.

Yep, there's a lot of truth in that when you play twice as many maps in the same amount of time.

snowmaker (JM)

Kees,

You really don't need to post a screen shot (unless someone is really struggling). I do like where you placed the upgrades, It only took about (1:30) for those  ;)

I think I need to expand quicker with collectors rather than using as many reactors. Since I do remember your first hard art map  8)

Again, enjoyable map!

JM

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on November 26, 2010, 11:32:20 AM
You really don't need to post a screen shot (unless someone is really struggling).

Okay, I'll wait with that until it gets requested.

I do like where you placed the upgrades, It only took about (1:30) for those  ;)

Yeah, in the previous version you got 3 for free, now you get 1 for free and 5 for a tiny effort (building a few relays). The drawback however is that getting them fast slows down your energy production and defending them also costs precious energy.

I think I need to expand quicker with collectors rather than using as many reactors. Since I do remember your first hard art map  8)

Spoiler
Well, I do build 1 collector per island as they are about twice as efficient, but I still need lots of reactors.
[close]

Spoiler
Compared to HA-1 I think the mortars are more effective on this map.
[close]

Again, enjoyable map!

Thanks. :)

snowmaker (JM)

I didn't even try getting the 6th upgrade, so I lost 3 relays... I was okay with that. The flying faster upgrade isn't on my high on my priority list  :D

Kamron3

UpperKEES

Quote from: snowmaker (JM) on November 26, 2010, 10:13:24 PM
The flying faster upgrade isn't on my high on my priority list  :D

Nope, on mine neither. The same goes for the fire rate upgrade. That one will only cost you more energy during the start up phase, while you only need it later on. It may actually force you to micromanage your mortars and that's something I don't like to do. I finished myself without deactivating them all the time; I'm just too lazy for that on a map that takes longer than 5 minutes.

Quote from: UpperKEES on November 26, 2010, 10:02:45 PM
You really don't need to post a screen shot (unless someone is really struggling).

Okay, I'll wait with that until it gets requested.

Quote from: Gaara on November 27, 2010, 03:02:56 PM
>>REQUEST<<

Spoiler
Okay, I'll first post a screeny how to start off:

[close]

Spoiler
You'll have enough time to build 2 relays, a collector and 2 reactors before you should start building your first mortar. You can build a third reactor in parallel with the mortar when you start it a little later. When the mortar is done, let it fire a few rounds and disarm it so it will charge completely. Then move it the the island on the right as indicated. You may already hear the sound of Odin City getting damaged, but when executed well you'll be in time to save it. When it's all too tight for you, just build a reactor less before you start the mortar. This will make sure you're safe, but will slow down your expansion later on.
[close]

Spoiler
The relay has been placed in such a way that I will need a minimal amount of them to reach the other islands.
[close]

Let me know if you're able to conquer a second island now. I can post more hints when you need them, so just ask.