Are stories in custom maps worth it?

Started by Ebon Heart, February 18, 2012, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebon Heart

I'm curious as to what percent of people will actually take the time to read the story in a custom map, provided there is one. Many map authors put time and effort into creating custom characters and stories to enrich their maps. Do you think it's worth it to create a story? I think so (just look at some of my past maps) but I want to hear your opinions on it.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

CobraKill

Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

mpete

yes, but not to the exclusion of gameplay
sorry for any misspellings.
signed,mpete

lich98

I like the stories i stay that yes they do.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

J

I don't really care about stories. I mostly only check for hints and tips :P

Michionlion

yes, a map without some kind of reason for it is a boring map, in my opinion.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Katra

Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

eighttailedfox

There are three types of maps.

The first is story in gameplay. In which the story is told by how the game goes. The most prominent example of which is Packet Journey.

The second is story to gameplay. For which every action you do is dictated with a story piece. The earlier maps in the ETF series are like this, as well as Ebon and Peter's colab map.

The third is gameplay. In which you get the bare minimum of text between you and playing. It's you against the world. No explanation. Centipede is an example of this.

Are stories in custom maps worth it? Yes, very much.

Are stories in custom maps needed? No, not at all.

The most important factor is that the person who plays the map should enjoy themselves. Through fear, accomplishment, fun, and other emotions, you can accomplish this feat.

At the end of the day, a game needs gameplay. And thus, gameplay is the most important. If your map is better without a story, then that's just what happens.

TonyP2000

I think eighttailedfox summed it up best. (kodos for randomly using one of my maps for an example lol)

I think the story really helps in both getting more downloads (as more and more people want to see what happens next) and also adding an emotional aspect to the map. If you care about the characters, the moment will feel more intense. You want them to escape the hopeless situation.
Vote Tony!

teknotiss

Story lines are great but you can just have an interesting "hook" if your not an author.
loved the ETF series (Want More).
but some just want a game and won't care
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

lich98

ETF *might* get a second series. that will be better layed out. BUT dont quote me on that :P
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

eighttailedfox

Quote from: lich98 on February 19, 2012, 05:50:43 PM
ETF *might* get a second series. that will be better layed out. BUT dont quote me on that :P

You CAN quote me on that. Especially the might part. I'm finishing a L4D2 project before I continue with Creeper World, so ETF2 is in the maybe stage.

That's all from me being off-topic in this thread.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: eighttailedfox on February 19, 2012, 09:37:24 PM

You CAN quote me on that. Especially the might part. I'm finishing a L4D2 project before I continue with Creeper World, so ETF2 is in the maybe stage.

what L4D2 project are you working on??? (is going to get his own topic moved to random discussion at this point...) you know what? PM me. Left For Dead is one of the few games I play regularly. lol.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

eighttailedfox

Quote from: Ebon Heart on February 19, 2012, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: eighttailedfox on February 19, 2012, 09:37:24 PM

what L4D2 project are you working on??? (is going to get his own topic moved to random discussion at this point...) you know what? PM me. Left For Dead is one of the few games I play regularly. lol.

send me your steam name and we can discuss it on steam chat then.

Cavemaniac

I appreciate the effort that goes into creating a story and adding it to a map, and I read every word and punctuation mark while map modding.

However...

Sorry guys, I really don't care about the story lines and I usually skip 'em - all I need is the mission briefing. Seriously, brief is what I'm looking for.

Obliteration? Gotcha. Kill everything.

Acquisition? No probs - collect stuff.

I'm here to play the game, not read a story.

I realise this makes me a philistine!

CW2 stands up on it's own - i.e.blow stuff up, collect stuff, don't die. Simple!

The story lines definitely pad out the bare bones, but they're all hung on the basic framework of the game - which involves blowing stuff up and collecting stuff.

Which is what I signed up for...

Just a personal opinion, you guys keep doing what makes you and your map players happy - I'll keep playing your maps with or without accompanying stories...

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.