Forum member list

Started by UpperKEES, April 21, 2010, 10:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

Would it be possible to activate the forum member list functionality? This would make it easier to find somebody, especially when they do have an account, but didn't post before.

You can search for members anyway, by (ab)using the 'Find Member' function when creating a new personal message. It's just more inconvenient....
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

SPIFFEN

I had an suggestion about this long time ago :
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=449.msg3508#msg3508

And Mods usally have an kind of this option ,
as you might know since you have been an Mod here =P
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Ah, should have searched for it I guess....

I can imagine security issues are being considered, but you can easily prevent abuse by only allowing members to access it, thus preventing bots to see it as guests. The 'Who's Online' functionality works the same way.

And I'm not a mod, just a map approver, so I have the same permissions as you have.

knucracker

I just enabled it for Jr. members and higher.

UpperKEES

Sqaz

Wow, never knew there where so many people that never posted once in this forum.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on April 22, 2010, 12:58:54 PM
Wow, never knew there where so many people that never posted once in this forum.

SHws you hao many peoaple actually *have* a life....  8)

UpperKEES

You can also easily find the spam accounts (often females with something like a weight loss program as their site).

Sqaz

Maybe you could ban people that still haven't posted once after a week, that would reduce the amount of useless acounts, and if you don't have anything to say why enregister on a forum.

knucracker

Yeah, I'm just now going through and nuking the accounts that have no posts and haven't been on in the last few months.

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on April 22, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
Yeah, I'm just now going through and nuking the accounts that have no posts and haven't been on in the last few months.

Waste of time.

knucracker

Yeah, they come in at a steady clip....
What I wish is that there was a way to turn off the "website" field for forum accounts....

UpperKEES

Most spammers abuse the signature as well, so there's probably no ending to it.

As long as they don't post and the member list is not available to bots, it won't help them to get higher in the Google rankings, so I don't see their point doing this.

SPIFFEN

Better if members report abuse in an hard way so bots/spammers dont do it auto .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

Quote from: virgilw on April 22, 2010, 01:13:59 PM

Quote from: virgilw on April 22, 2010, 01:32:30 PM
Yeah, they come in at a steady clip....
What I wish is that there was a way to turn off the "website" field for forum accounts....

Many many more of this kind of accounts lately.... :(