Word substitution in chat

Started by Karsten75, July 12, 2010, 08:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

WTH is up with that. I can understand substituting offensive words, but why the heck replace the word "document" with "dodaffodilent"??

Oh, I get it, but it is still stupid.  

For the rationale, consider that the words "cumbersome", "cumulative" and "cucumber" will also be substituted in the same way.  Blegh.  

Nanny-chat

In the early days of Internet political correctness, people living in the English town of "Scunthorpe" could not sign up on AOL....

SPIFFEN

I think it should be removed , so each user can ignore instead if they dont like what someone else says .
PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

UpperKEES

My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Echo51

Just check if its a actual word(not many), if not then censor it ;)
Join the chat! :D
- The only echo present here...

Sqaz

Another weird think is that here in the forum g o d d a m n is substituted with goddamn, but isn't changed in the chat.

knucracker

There's censoring in chat?  Must be some default list somewhere since I never configured it.
Are you saying that if you type "document" it shows up as "dodaffodilent"?

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on July 12, 2010, 03:54:01 PM
There's censoring in chat?  Must be some default list somewhere since I never configured it.
Are you saying that if you type "document" it shows up as "dodaffodilent"?

Yes!

In fact, creating the OP in this thread has brought to my attention that some word replacement is also active on the forum itself...

F0R

i was saying i suck at a map. Then it turned to shake.
I shake at this map?

knucracker

Ok, I see what was going on....
It's been turned off.  There was a .js that had word mappings in it.  You may need to reload (refresh) you chat window to get the new .js.

Blaze

Quote from: F0R on July 12, 2010, 04:57:38 PM
i was saying i suck at a map. Then it turned to shake.
I shake at this map?

lol

Karsten75

Quote from: virgilw on July 12, 2010, 06:29:50 PM
Ok, I see what was going on....
It's been turned off.  There was a .js that had word mappings in it.  You may need to reload (refresh) you chat window to get the new .js.

Thanks! and I see the change is even effective here in the forum. The inhabitants of the UK town thank you for restoring their civic pride. :)

UpperKEES

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 13, 2010, 07:51:35 AM
The inhabitants of the UK town thank you for restoring their civic pride. :)

Oh! :o Didn't know they called a town after me.... I'm honoured! ;D
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview