Custom ship editor: build ships up to size 128x128 (v0.3.4)

Started by kajacx, December 20, 2016, 08:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOXX

Quote from: kajacx on March 07, 2017, 06:51:03 AM

Yea, that feature is long overdue. However, currently the right click is used to remove hull/armor. Maybe crtl+mouse drag to move the camera, since crtl+mouse wheel zooms already?
Yeah thats right. Left Click is add - right click is remove. Ctrl+Mousedrag to move is a good option. For zooming the Mousewheel alone works well. I don't need to press ctrl.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!
Including  CUSTOM MODULE MAPS & SHIPS

Qihao56

Just asking but how do you insert a custom module into the ship builder?
For example: If i somehow was able to make my custom airstrip, what would i need to insert it into your ship builder to use it
(Since im too lazy to write everything in code)

kajacx

Quote from: Qihao56 on March 07, 2017, 09:41:16 AM
Just asking but how do you insert a custom module into the ship builder?

Just look in the customModules subfolder for examples. Also don't forget to put the image file in the img/custom modules subfolder. Or click Help -> How to use Custom Modules for more info. You then need to restart the program after you add the custom module like this.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Bluepikmin64

I don't know why, but I'm on a Mac and 1.5 doesn't work, but 1.4 does and I didn't change what I was doing with the previous version.
"They named us the Straxoi, the blind. They named themselves the Seloi, the enlightened. . . I leave this message for whoever's next. When the time comes. . ." ~ Unknown source

kajacx

Quote from: Bluepikmin64 on March 18, 2017, 07:33:41 PM
I don't know why, but I'm on a Mac and 1.5 doesn't work, but 1.4 does and I didn't change what I was doing with the previous version.

That's wierd, I don't remember adding anything that would cause this. But I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot to rename the filename in start_with_console file.

Nevertheless, I have never used a Mac and have no idea how things work there, but look at it tomorrow.

However, I have one important question to ask: does the entire editor not work (it should though), or just the Save As button? The Save As button executes an .exe file that encodes the ship to a .dat file, so that is probably what goes wrong.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

FOXX

The mirrors and "drag-painting" are both very handy functions.
I am happy to see these functions work so well.
Much easier than before.
This Tool is getting better and better :)
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

FOXX

A thought for another handy option.
If you have a ship build and you want to use that layout for another ship it would be handy when deleting hull it also deletes the Mudules on it so you don't have to remove them one by one.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

kajacx

Quote from: FOXX on March 21, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
A thought for another handy option.
If you have a ship build and you want to use that layout for another ship it would be handy when deleting hull it also deletes the Mudules on it so you don't have to remove them one by one.

Hm, interesting idea. Would it be better to have a "remove modules when deleting hull" checkbox, or another hull-like brush for removing modules only? Or why not both? I'll probably add it soon.

I must say I don't personally use the editor much other than for testing, so I always welcome suggestions from people who do.

FOXX

Quote from: kajacx on March 21, 2017, 01:15:15 PM
Hm, interesting idea. Would it be better to have a "remove modules when deleting hull" checkbox, or another hull-like brush for removing modules only? Or why not both? I'll probably add it soon.

I must say I don't personally use the editor much other than for testing, so I always welcome suggestions from people who do.
I think a 'Remove Hull AND Modules' Checkbox next to the Hull Checkboxes would do just fine.

I have used ships in 2 maps from my last series and coming series in 4 maps.
If i come across more handy options i'll let you know.
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

kajacx

Quote from: FOXX on March 21, 2017, 01:48:42 PM
I think a 'Remove Hull AND Modules' Checkbox next to the Hull Checkboxes would do just fine.

I have added a new "hull type": remove modules. On left click it removes modules, and on right click it removes modules and hull. Works with brush sizes and mirror modes. Also this should be easier to use, since shift+mouse wheel now rotates between hull types, so you can easily switch between this and adding new hull pieces.

Also, thanks for using my editor, I really appreciate it. :)

Dark Ambition

My friend Mahazkei is using a Mac and he can't open it. Looks like the same problem bluepikman had. Any progress on if it's fixed or not?

FOXX

Just tested the new functions a littlebit and love it.

Another thought ;) -> It would also be handy if you have made a small layout there is a way to copy and paste that.
                                And maybe a turning option. like 90 degrees, maybe 45 also or an input for degrees  :o

And i thank you for making this :)
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!

kajacx

Quote from: Dark Ambition on March 21, 2017, 07:25:08 PM
My friend Mahazkei is using a Mac and he can't open it. Looks like the same problem bluepikman had. Any progress on if it's fixed or not?

Unfortunately no. I have tried installing a Mac in a virtual box, but without success. Can your friend send me the output log? Just tell him to run the program from terminal ("java -jar PRPL-Toolset-0.1.6.jar") and copy-paste the error message that comes out, or printscreen it. It would help a lot. Also if he could could verify whether or not can he run the previous versions would help as well. I'll try to make the virtual box thing work in the meantime.

kajacx

Quote from: FOXX on March 21, 2017, 07:32:47 PM
Just tested the new functions a littlebit and love it.

Another thought ;) -> It would also be handy if you have made a small layout there is a way to copy and paste that.
                                And maybe a turning option. like 90 degrees, maybe 45 also or an input for degrees  :o

And i thank you for making this :)

Well, I have thought about copy-pasting entire portions of the ship. However the UI is cluttered enough as it is (it already didn't fit on my 720p monitor, so I split the modules into 2 categories, and was lazy to do a monitor size check :D ) however that could be resolved with a much needed UI overhaul.

Now, for the rotaion: 90° rotation is bad enough as it doesn't work with non-sqauare modules, I have no idea how 45° rotation would work and arbitrary angle is sheer lunacy. However sticking to 90° rotations and horizontal/vertical flipping should be doable, and I can see this being added sometime in the future. (Here I would point out that the program is open sourced and anyone can contribute is they want to, but the code is such a terrible mess it would be better to start from scratch at this point.)

FOXX

Quote from: kajacx on March 21, 2017, 07:57:57 PM
Well, I have thought about copy-pasting entire portions of the ship. However the UI is cluttered enough as it is (it already didn't fit on my 720p monitor, so I split the modules into 2 categories, and was lazy to do a monitor size check :D ) however that could be resolved with a much needed UI overhaul.

Now, for the rotaion: 90° rotation is bad enough as it doesn't work with non-sqauare modules, I have no idea how 45° rotation would work and arbitrary angle is sheer lunacy. However sticking to 90° rotations and horizontal/vertical flipping should be doable, and I can see this being added sometime in the future. (Here I would point out that the program is open sourced and anyone can contribute is they want to, but the code is such a terrible mess it would be better to start from scratch at this point.)
The Copy Paste with parts function is a fun thing wich save a bit of time. But the newest version is awesome on its own.
It would be nice if it wa added to have more functions and maybe someone can clean up the code.
Unfortunately i am not that person. :(
I still need help with my scripts [sometimes a lot of help]
The FPAF
For My Maps and Ships!