Is it possible to roll-back from the anniversary edition to classic (non-steam)?

Started by Anonymeus, November 19, 2016, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymeus

I am a very conservative person who is incredibly change-resistant. I have spent close to a year of my life playing CW1 and it has become deep and old friend.

I haven't tried the anniversary edition for CW1 yet. I'd like to do so, but just in case I decide I prefer the old version, is it possible to rollback without hassle?

(without using steam.. steam is WAY to newfangled for the likes of me...)

Karsten75

Save the old copy you have downloaded. Or download the demo version of the Anniversary edition to check it out.

I can tell you that all that changes are some of the unit graphics and higher resolution textures so it can be played full-screen or in larger windows without impacting the graphics quality.

Or just don't download it at all. Nothing relevant to game play has changes and you will be able to play all the old and new maps with your current version.

Builder17

Option to toggle these new graphics off?

I agree these look better , but at least I prefer old unit graphics.  :)

Edit: I have actually no any idea how complicated it is to add option to use either graphics...  :-[

Karsten75

Quote from: Builder17 on November 19, 2016, 02:13:50 PM
Option to toggle these new graphics off?

I agree these look better , but at least I prefer old unit graphics.  :)

Virgil is not intending to add or extend the feature set on the older games.  They were merely repackaged with graphics suitable to larger windows; to avoid future issues with Adobe AIR;  and and re-issued to satisfy requests from players who wanted them in Steam or to complete their collections. Look at the prices - Virgil hardly makes any money from from them.

knucracker

The old versions will still work, and are installed to use adobe air.  You can have the old and anniversary editions installed at the same time actually, since the anniversary editions come with their own standard windows installer.  The games use the same format for the gameData.dat and look for it in the same location, so you can switch back and forth at will.

I don't have any intention right now to put more time into the older games, I just wanted to freshen them up a tad, make them install in a more maintainable way, and get them on steam.  That ensures that folks will be able to enjoy them, or just look at them out of curiosity, for some more years yet to come.

If I do ever revist CW1/2 it would likely be to take them forward onto new platforms or onto new game engines.