Requests and feedback

Started by Wally, October 24, 2013, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally

Hello,
I've seen a bunch of threads going on about bugs and new features reported ou requested by us, fellow players. Some are duplicates, some are already resolved... and so on.
I wonder what Virgil's opinion is about all that : is it a good idea ? Is it planned for a future release ? Will it be buried under an infinite pile of dense creeper ?  ;D

Please Virgil, great CW master, let us know a bit of your plans and summarize all that a little bit.
Wally

Grauniad

Let me give you my take on it.

Virgil is working on a bug fix release to fix some of the most pressing issues.

After that he will turn his attention full-time to getting Colonial Space sorted out so that there is a useful custom maps interface.

In his other full-time job he will be working on getting Steam to Greenlight CW3.

In his spare time he will be promoting the game with indie game reviewers in a number of different ways.

Then over weekends and so on, he will be looking through all the multitude of requests and try to winnow those that improve the game from a playability or usability perspective and is doable given how much time he has and how difficult it is to make the changes.

However, i'd venture to suggest that the game is mostly feature complete. The most likely candidates for future updates (excluding bugs) will be additional CRPL enhancements within the given constraints.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Wally

Hi Grauniad,

No doubt Virgil is very active on his projects, he has proven it a number of times. The planning you described is certainly the most important because it's the game's revenues that will help improvements to be possible.
Nevertheless I dare (and hope you won't blame me for that) disagree with your analysis on the completion of the game. I've seen many suggestions (besides my own ones) witch I consider useful for the game itself, not concerned by CRPL. Some are related to network (proxy) considerations, other are related to game interface (ranges, future connections ...) and so on.
All of that, of course, have no degree of urgency at all !
Wally

Grauniad

knucracker

G is right about my current focus and plan of action...
Specifically that I want to get a solid maintenance release out, then get Colonial Space online.  Colonial Space alone is like releasing a whole new game.  The maps I've seen so far from the very early pioneering users of the map editor... very impressive.

And other than this development work I of course have been focused on marketing.  CW3 is now an IGF entrant ( http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2014.php?id=1944 ), CW3 is available or coming soon to ShinyLoot, GamersGate, MacGameStore, Amazon.  I've emailed dozens of web sites and youtubers about game coverage and submitted the game across most of the major review sites.  There will be print magazine coverage, web coverage, etc... all over the coming few months.  And of course I will be launching a Greenlight page very soon and hoping to rally the Creeper World denizens to my support.

In other words, it's all been a gigantic pain since it takes me away from my true passion... design and development.  But the Apollo program needed to be televised and CW3 needs to be marketed... that's the way it all works.

So hang in there with me while I get through this phase.  If it all works out, I'll swing back around and add some of the most popular feature requests.

kwinse

Quote from: virgilw on October 24, 2013, 08:12:11 PMCW3 is now an IGF entrant ( http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2014.php?id=1944 )

Not sure if this is the best way to bring this up, but the link back to this site is wrong. I don't know what a knuckler cracker is. :P

knucracker

I've just corrected that link on the IGF submission page.  Hopefully it will show up on the public entry page soon.

Grauniad

Wally

Quote from: Grauniad on October 24, 2013, 12:27:29 PM
You mean these?  http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14253.msg106025#msg106025
Yeah, a bit, but not only ! I'm not on a selfish position and I've seen other suggestions from players that are even more important. I didn't mention them in my post because they were already on the forum.
Wally

Wally

Virgil : I don't want my first post to be misunderstood. I'm not asking you to reorder your priorities. I'm waiting for Colonial Space much more than other improvements. I was just asking for a little feed back on player's requests like : "xx is a good idea, I'll certainly work on that on a future release next year" or "yy is impossible because it will ruin the overall performance" or even "I don't like zz idea".

But then again, no worry if you don't have time for this.
Wally