Map making tournament

Started by Krell, June 01, 2011, 02:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krell

Ok I know it's a little early to set one up as there's simply no editor yet, but I wanted to plant the idea in everyone's head.

I want to have a boss creation tournament after the editor comes out. As in not who can create the best map, but who can create the best boss-like entity. I want to see enemies far worse than the Nexus trying to destroy your precious liberation ship, and I want to see these creatures destroyed.

What are everyone's thoughts on this idea.

MadMag

As now you can't change the nexus or the emitter design, so the boss must be nexus/emitter/drone/phantom glop with different settings.. ?
You might see the option to alter the design of theese later...

Krell

Never said it couldn't be made of premade stuff, but I've heard of multiple boss ideas and ebon says he's got a bunch. So I want to see what people can come up with.

MadMag

Of course, emitter + stone can be a boss  if you want..

Krell

I think people are going to come up with some really insane ideas.

UpperKEES

Quote from: MadMag on June 01, 2011, 02:33:17 PM
As now you can't change the nexus or the emitter design, so the boss must be nexus/emitter/drone/phantom glop with different settings.. ?
You might see the option to alter the design of theese later...

Fields is the word!
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

TonyP2000

Quote from: UpperKEES on June 01, 2011, 04:19:44 PM
Fields is the word!

Its all going to come down to who can be the most creative as well as the most diabolical with using the fields. Whether you want your boss to have creeper claws are creeper guns. It is just going to come down to setting up the fields in certain ways that look threatening as well as being hard to fight back.  ;)

The movement of fields as well as the timing of them is what will win this contest.
Vote Tony!

Krell

J

I'll try creating a new beateble nexus once the map editor is out.

djcian

oh this will be fun.  ;D   
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Sqaz

Quote from: djcian on June 02, 2011, 04:40:12 AM
oh this will be fun.  ;D   

I'm not so sure about that, I didn't like those end boss maps in CW1: Get Thor and win or build an amazing force of blasters slog away and win.
CW2 of course offers a lot more possibilities, but since the Nexus destroys almost all stuff when ready, and to make it even somewhat beatable you must contain it in Level 4 fields and supply you with Dark Beams and CB's so creeper nor drones are any problem, I don't think many great end boss maps will be made.
With a lot of fields you can of course also make great end bosses but knowing some of the people here using a Nexus (maybe even two) will be the general rule. Not to mention the fact that every moving field can be stopped by using shields.

So far my optimistic views of the future ;D

Ebon Heart

what about an uber dense creeper creation? that's what I'm puttin my money on.... or lots of them.... *evil laugh*
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Sqaz

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on June 02, 2011, 07:21:48 AM
what about an uber dense creeper creation? that's what I'm puttin my money on.... or lots of them.... *evil laugh*

The problem is that in order to restrain über dense creeper you need to use very strong fields which will never overflow. That makes it quite easy to evade the creation. The difficulty in this game won't be about the density of the creation but about the threat it is for your initial base, and in order to do that you need to make the creeper less dense which won't appeal as much as a giant monster with a 2billion creeper density.
Note that even in Day 20 the end boss means no harm as it's enclosed by terrain and you can easily build up enough energy to power enough DB's, the only threat in that level is the loss of your crystal energy earlier on (and still Day 20 is a lot easier than 17, 18 and 19).

crazyone76

I agree with sqaz
for the same reasons
go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krell

You underestimate the creativity of Ebon and I. There are plenty of ways to make bosses dangerous.