some ideas for the new game and physics

Started by hbarudi, April 06, 2015, 02:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbarudi

I am a physics major,

Recently during my studies I discovered new possible systems that can go below absolute zero and whose particles act in a very unusual way. They are called the enlightened system and the miserly system based on relationships and analogies to happiness versus money.

The book thermal physics by Daniel Schroder shows more details about this.

This idea can allow the game to make the unexpected!

warren

Just one question. As all cold experiments I have ever heard of involve bleeding off heat to generate cold, how do get negative cold? Also, how do you get slower than a complete standstill? Also, is that two questions?

Michionlion

Absolute zero... is an idea, not something that can be passed.  It is the temperature at which the only energy an object has is it's rest energy, and there is no way to go below it because then an object would have less than it's proper rest energy, and we would get into special relativity.  Nothing can go below absolute zero for the same reason that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, c.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Telanir

Considering you're a physics major... I imagine you know a thing or two. You should elaborate though, like the above posters I'm not really getting what you're putting on the table. ;)
Want to make genius CRPL? The new top map? You can start here!

Find out more about Creeper World 3 on the wiki!

CW3, The Sleeper Menace!

Own an iOS device? Check out my game Blobivers

pawel345

The problem with absolute zero is not relativity, it's quantum uncertainty. In layman terms absolute zero is when particles stop moving. IF they don't move you know their velocity ( 0 ) and their position absolutely and that's not allowed.

As for negative temperatures, it's all about how you define temperature. So it's possible, just it has nothing to do with the common understanding of temperature.

Michionlion

Quote from: pawel345 on April 08, 2015, 08:55:05 AM
The problem with absolute zero is not relativity, it's quantum uncertainty. In layman terms absolute zero is when particles stop moving. IF they don't move you know their velocity ( 0 ) and their position absolutely and that's not allowed.

As for negative temperatures, it's all about how you define temperature. So it's possible, just it has nothing to do with the common understanding of temperature.

Negative temperature on the Kelvin scale, which should really be obvious in physics, is undefined, because the scale begins with 0 = absolute zero.
You've also got to worry about spin, because even at or very close to absolute zero, you've got electrons able to move because of spin pairing (the same thing that makes superconductors work).  I get the feeling that OP is engaging in spreading pseudo-science, because he begins his post with the unnecessary statement 'I'm a physics major'.  While that may increase his understanding of this, he should know if he is a physics major that it would also help if he actually explained his assertions, because this is quite different from the currently accepted thermodynamics.

EDIT: and clarification on your quantum uncertainty: while you may know the velocity is 0, you can't know both the velocity and position.  You can know velocity (and therefore temperature) but not position, or vice versa, because measuring a particle's velocity is not equivalent to measuring their position (for example, you could use a form of magnetic/electric field interaction to determine velocity while still allowing the particle to have an undefined position).
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

hbarudi

Here are more links for detail about the topic including Scientific Journals:

http://www.wired.com/2013/01/what-the-dalai-lama-can-teach-us-about-temperatures-below-absolute-zero/

http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146#b1 <-- links to journal articles

Journal: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6115/52.full

I hope the above links clear any confusion my graphs have caused, what reaches absolute zero and below are not normal atoms and things we know, but its about certain particles that can undergo such behavior in lab (could be LHC) or particles that may exist far away from earth we don't know about, but we call such things dark matter due to our lack of understanding of such things in existence. Also these systems have negative heat capacity that can allow them to have such unusual behavior.

All laws of thermodynamics 0, 1, 2, and 3 are still in effect on all normal systems.

Aside from normal systems of atoms, check the links for info.

warren

"A system with a truly negative temperature on the Kelvin scale is hotter than any system with a positive temperature." -wikipedia

Mind blown. I am beginning to wonder how this could possibly be modelled in a particle simulation.

Telanir

This is some bizarre stuff, thanks for sharing.
Want to make genius CRPL? The new top map? You can start here!

Find out more about Creeper World 3 on the wiki!

CW3, The Sleeper Menace!

Own an iOS device? Check out my game Blobivers

warren

After thinking about this for a while, I think what is going on here is temperature is being defined in terms of entropy instead of energy. The difference is quite simple: Energy is simple, entropy is complicated.

Long story short however, this means negative energy could be potentially simulated by something as simple as creating a particle speed cap.

Short story long: The more stuff particles could be doing, the hotter they are. If their choices of activity begin to limit at higher heats, then their temperatures go down as they heat up.

Michionlion

That... makes a surprising amount of sense, warren.  And really, that is two different scales, energy and entropy - temperature really shouldn't be a thing we measure except on the macro scale.
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

pac_71

Cold sounds like a good idea for a weapon and proximity to energy sources sound like a good way to "excite" particles.

planetfall

Quote from: warren on April 09, 2015, 02:45:31 AM
"A system with a truly negative temperature on the Kelvin scale is hotter than any system with a positive temperature." -wikipedia

The universe has integer overflow! We're living in the matrix after all!
This is my new headcanon.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Taikei no Yuurei

So, interesting as it is to learn about, how would something like this get implemented in the game?  It sounded like you had an idea behind it, as opposed to some interesting little factoid about super cold particles, but never really elaborated on it.

Perhaps something with energy fields, where different kinds of particles would react differently?  Regular ones would speed up, miserly ones would speed up exponentially, and enlightened ones would actually slow down instead?  And maybe negative energy fields, which would have the opposite effect.  Maybe some kind of unit/structure that you could change the 'polarity' of the field of.