Amp? (Compressor?)

Started by Epic4242, January 19, 2015, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic4242

Now I understand the use of a turret or extra range, I even understand the need for compression. But what I don't understand is what the "amp" totem (I'm going to call them totems until we get a name for them) does to gets its "amplifying" effect to the front lines. Same with the compressor, if I have a huge base in the back of the map with a ton of compressor and amp totems then how do those benefits get to my ships?

"Good question, epic4242 :D"
"Thanks, epic4242 :D"

:D

knucracker

First... obligatory disclaimer.  The upgrade model will likely change.  It's an area of active work and the video just shows a snapshot of that work.

That said, the structures around mines are:

-Range: Increased resupply range of the Energy Mine it is attached to.

-Phalanx: Defensive gun that shoots at anything that gets near.

-Compress: Upgrades all ship energy stores on the map.  Allows ships to carry more energy with them.  Effects are global to the map.

-Amp: Increases energy output by 0.5 per amp.

Energy production is global to the map.  All of the mines and amps work together so it doesn't matter where they are located (other than for physical needs like defense, etc.).  Lore wise, I imagine that the energy mines push energy into subspace and it can be manifested as packets at any energy mine.

That's why you can send your ships to the nearest energy mine and have access to the full production capacity of your subspace energy network.

Epic4242

Two questions ;D

- is it going to be a creeperworld-sequel style of energy where you can go into "energy debt"? (I mean use more than you produce)

-what's the red/blue stuff that your ships are changing from red to blue

Epic4242

By the way I don't mean to bombard you with questions... :o don't reply if you don't want me or anyone else to know or if the game just isn't in a state ready enough to show off :-X.

I'm just exited for the new game ;) ::)

Karsten75

Yes, there is definitely still an energy production model - hence the Amplifiers to increase energy.

The "red/blue stuff" is a plasma field. If intact, it currently slows down particles. if corrupted... well... 

Some ships have capabilities to repair the plasma fields.

Epic4242

Not trying to be nosy, but how did you know?

Karsten75

That's a good question that I don't have a good answer to. . :)

jpwanabe

Quote from: Karsten75 on January 19, 2015, 10:28:03 PM

I'm going to guess you are a tester. Man, what I would give to be in your shoes.

J

There's a video of more than 9 minutes which shows it all with some commentary by Virgil himself. I only can't remember if he said the word 'plasma'.

Grayzzur

Quote from: jpwanabe on January 21, 2015, 12:23:32 AM
Quote from: Karsten75 on January 19, 2015, 10:28:03 PM

I'm going to guess you are a tester. Man, what I would give to be in your shoes.
It's right there under his name: "Hero Member." He's a Hero. His special power is to read Virgil's mind!

8)
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

PJD345

Quote from: J on January 21, 2015, 05:09:27 AM
There's a video of more than 9 minutes which shows it all with some commentary by Virgil himself. I only can't remember if he said the word 'plasma'.
He actually mentions "plasma cloud" in the video (around 2:45).

knucracker

Plasma currently slows down particles.  But at the same time particles will decay plasma.  In the video the red area is decayed plasma.  Decayed plasma doesn't do anything, but it can be restored via some weapon pods.  In particular there is a weapon pod on the corvette that rebuilds plasma.  You can see that happening a lot in the video as a thin beam sweeps out and works on the decayed plasma returning it to its bluish-gray healthy version.

4xC

Perhaps it is worth trying a unit that adds plasma for a rather hefty price?
C,C,C,C

Asbestos

Plasma sounds like digitalis.

stdout

The unit that adds plasma makes me think of the terps.