Locked military units

Started by UpperKEES, March 14, 2010, 04:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperKEES

A quote from the help page of the map editor:

Initially Locked: If you check this, then the military unit will begin the game in locked mode. Being locked means that the player will not be able to select the unit and move it. To unlock a unit, the player must connect the unit to his network. Once connected, the unit will unlock and the player will be able to control the unit normally. This feature is useful for creating maps that contain units that are initially marooned from the player's city. The player won't be able to interact with these locked units until he first connects them to his network. Note that Odin City must be on the ground when the units are connected to the player's network. This prevents the player from simply flying Odin City over to the units to unlock them. If the player attempts this, he must first land the city and connect to the units.

When flying and connecting to these kind of units, they do drain energy from Odin City. This doesn't seem consistent. You can't move them before you land (and I understand why), but they can use energy to charge, which often means Odin city will be drained completely before it has landed. Would it be possible to start the consumption of energy after OC has landed?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

archn

How about an option for the military units to stay locked?

knucracker

Quote from: UpperKEES on March 14, 2010, 04:16:37 PM
When flying and connecting to these kind of units, they do drain energy from Odin City. This doesn't seem consistent. You can't move them before you land (and I understand why), but they can use energy to charge, which often means Odin city will be drained completely before it has landed. Would it be possible to start the consumption of energy after OC has landed?

It would, but I kinda liked the idea of being able to use the city itself as a way to keep units charged.  Granted it only makes sense when there is no place to land the city (otherwise you could just drop down the city, take a little heat, and own the units so you can fly them home).  But if a map were created like the following, the only way to get use from this unit would be to use the city itself as an ammo runner....  So imagine there were mortars mounted on the 'towers' of a castle at each corner.  They were locked and there was no way to connect these units to the network.  The only way to get them to arm would be to fly the city over them from time to time.

Granted, this would probably make a map that is annoying as the city shuffle maps (full disclosure, I kinda like these maps but I think that most people do not)... but it could serve a purpose is a puzzle based map (a map where you have to do this in order to buy enough time to survive and build a defense).

UpperKEES

Sounds great now I read it. When I'll start making maps they will definitely be (hard) puzzles, so thanks!  ;D
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview