Custom Map #1051: Unsteady Ground

Started by AutoPost, April 22, 2012, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1051: Unsteady Ground

Author: Bongo

Desc:
* Anti-gravity pink Creeper from below. * Whole map is decayable terrain * 15 minute time limit HINTS: * Build efficiently; one unit at a time. * Pick your battle front wisely. The longer you build the more ground the creeper destroys. * If you are not going to make the time limit you may want to suicide run a fully charged Maker at the Nexus to stop it. Good Luck!

Bongo

So after about a day it's running about 25% up to 75% down. So I was just wondering why so many bad reviews? Is it too easy or too hard? If I were to remake the map (in a couple of months) what would need to be changed to make it more fun? What makes a map 'fun' for the majority of players, because I've played some maps that are 75% up to 25% down that are mind numbingly boring.

I'm also curious how that one guy won it in less than 9 minutes? My best time was about 12 minutes (after 10 full plays) so I set the time limit to 15 for all the first (and only) time players.

I've only had this game for about a week, but I think I enjoy making maps more than actually playing the game ;)

-Thanks

J

If a map is hard, many people will stop playing it because they can't win, vote down and move to the next map. To make a map fun for the majority of players you should be able to slog through it (playing with much energy on double speed without having to do anything for 5 minutes exept moving 2 weapons, these maps are mostly not the best maps. For an example play the rooms maps from chaz). There are some hackers that post fake scores but there are also people who are just very good at the game (like kithros, snowmaker(JM) and fisherck).

Fisherck

Quote from: Bongo on April 24, 2012, 01:34:29 AM
So after about a day it's running about 25% up to 75% down. So I was just wondering why so many bad reviews? Is it too easy or too hard? If I were to remake the map (in a couple of months) what would need to be changed to make it more fun? What makes a map 'fun' for the majority of players, because I've played some maps that are 75% up to 25% down that are mind numbingly boring.

I'm also curious how that one guy won it in less than 9 minutes? My best time was about 12 minutes (after 10 full plays) so I set the time limit to 15 for all the first (and only) time players.

I've only had this game for about a week, but I think I enjoy making maps more than actually playing the game ;)

-Thanks

When I first saw this map I thought, uhoh, not another Nexus map... But as I started playing it, I realized that this map was in fact very tactical, and required a lot of thinking. The hardest part would definitely be reaching the Dark Beam tech. I guessing that is where many people are getting stuck. I maxed out the 60 energy limit of the ship while trying to advance. You have to be very smart as to what units you place there and where you place them. But I wouldn't mind all the thumbs down; I enjoyed it a lot and definitely thought it deserving a thumbs up. :)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Karsten75

Learn to ignore the thumbs down. You are clearly not making maps for the masses or you would not have build a map that has a hard time limit of 15 minutes.

MuadDib

Same as above : your map is clearly quite difficult, and requires a lot of speed and micromanaging. It enjoyed it a lot, and had to start over a few times to get it right - with the extra stress at the end to attack the nexus while i thought i was done ! It was a great experience, pretty different from the usual maps from other guys. But that doesnt cater to many players.
So in short : you get thumbs down because its too difficult / unusual. Dont worry about it.

joshuad156

A lot players are afraid of difficult maps.  I don't generally like maps with so much decayable surface.  I generally like to have at least a minimum of fall back territory that i can crawl back from.  It's still hard to break that defensive-turtle tendency.  :-)

However, your map wasn't too hard and I managed to clear it on my first try (well, a few reloads early on when I used up my last crystal by mistake.  Figured I may need the 60+ power near the end to push back the creeper, and I did.)

Also, I'd like to thank you for not making us actually kill an active creeper or three.  I hate those!   8)

Bongo

Thanks for the input.

Yea, I guess I prefer the difficult maps. I just spent 2 hours beating J's map "Challenges: Ring of Death" (989). It was maddening but fun. Then I spent 20 minutes beating Basketti's map "The Journey" (451), which was easy but boring (like playing solitaire).

Normally when I make content for a game I cater to the 'lowest denominator' but with over 1000 maps I don't feel that need so urgently.

I'm still open to suggestions for a next version but I'm going to wait at least 2 months to get it right. I'm leaning towards making it even harder, with a time limit of like 10 minutes, thus forcing every player to throw a maker (or 2 or 3) at the Nexus. ;)

-Again, Thanks for the input.

Cavemaniac

I liked your map and was one of the mapmods who voted to approve it.

I started to make a comment that it required quite a long preparation before the pay-off, but deleted it because I was afraid that you'd take it as criticism. Randomly, I don't think I deleted the whole of my comment so you would have received the cryptic note from me that just said 'pay-off'!

I was very impressed with how you handled the nexus in this map - it's something I've never seen before.

The little touches of the 'random' ore being neatly space so as to allow parallel side tunnels was a thoughtful inclusion.

Ignore the haters - your map is sound and doubly impressive because you've only had CW2 for a week! We often see custom map authors only ever submit one map because they get discouraged after the first. Conversely/perversely, some of the more prolific authors have produced strings of, erm, 'underwhelming' maps...

I intend to replay your map and try to beat the top time - I can see I over-prepared and wasted time when I completed it for the first time.

I've only ever made on map, and was astonished that other people can beat my map faster than I can!

Keep at it, keep trying new things!

;)

For a challenge, try one of my favourites - The Hotel by FOR (#270)

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

sh1977

best level if not done in 15 start again.

hadaly

Hello, I'm sorry, but I'm spanish and I don't know if I understand this: "If you are not going to make the time limit you may want to suicide run a fully charged Maker at the Nexus to stop it." Does it mean it's possible doing the level in more than 15 min? I've tried it but I think I don't understand this sentence... can you explain it yo me? thx!

Karsten75

You can stop the nexus exploding by not allowing it to touch creeper.  So if you send a lot of anti-creeper to surround the nexus, you have more time.

hadaly

Quote from: Karsten75 on May 03, 2012, 06:04:50 AM
You can stop the nexus exploding by not allowing it to touch creeper.  So if you send a lot of anti-creeper to surround the nexus, you have more time.

Thx Karsten! So, if I understand, you can DELAY nexus exploding but, if it explodes, you can't finish the map? Thx again!

Karsten75

Well, you do at least have to rescue the capsule before the 15 minutes.  Since you will have abundant energy and resources, it might be possible to beat it still. I don't know, I didn't take taht long... :)

hadaly

I got it! is dificult! i've needed 4 attempts to get it... Great map! lots of stress! funny!