Fly Drone base?

Started by Karsten75, December 30, 2009, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I started playing some user maps and I noticed (especially in the Useful map from Virgil) that there is a drone station that ultimately has to be destroyed by the creeper to win the game.

In my own games, I often construct early drone bases far back from the front (near the city).

In both cases it would have been nice to later relocate these Drone bases to an alternative location.

Aurzel

i know the map you mean and you dont have to let the drone base fall, you can place a blaster behind it and the creeper will only overspill to the far right while your blaster stops it from hitting the drone hangar while it moves over to destroy the wall

Kamron3

Auz... I think he means that he wants to be able to move the drones, not lose the drones. =)

Agreed, it is a military unit like the others!

_k

djcian

I don't really think it should be able to fly.  Yes it is a military unit but no it does not actually attack the creeper the drone that come out of it attacks the creeper. It is fine the way it is.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

knucracker

The drone base was chosen the be the only non-movable weapon in the game.  There were a few reasons for this.
-1 It created another small strategic element that wouldn't be present if all of the weapons could move.  A drone base is 'expensive' so it should be built in a protected rear area typically.   Building it in a forward zone and then losing that ground would cost you something (you'd lose the drone base).  I sorta liked this, so I wanted to have a non-movable weapon in the game.

-2 The user interface for the drone base is that you click the base then click where to send the bomber.  If the base were movable, there would have to be some way to differentiate between drone launching and moving the drone base.  There are about a million things that could be done to solve this, but given point #1 above there was no reason to complicate the interface. 

Now I have thought long and hard about adding more units to the game.  When I get to it, I will probably make some of those units non-movable as well.  For instance a long range mega-cannon that has to be manually targeted would be a fixed placement weapon and fired the same way you fire a drone.