Main Menu

Higher Terrain

Started by Mrmcdeath, December 28, 2009, 03:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrmcdeath

It would be cool that if you added bigger maps... then you could raise the height too!
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.

knucracker

True....
During development I experimented with 20 terrain elevations one point.  Talk about some serious valleys...  I made a real deep lake of creeper one time in a long valley.... kinda like lock ness.  Mortars only damage -4, though, so with a lake 15 deep it takes a long, long time to depth charge nessie out of existence.

I also experimented with just 2 terrain elevations, but both extremes had more negatives than positives.

Kento

The only disadvantage I can see to having more terrain levels is that the little elevation meter on the menu/status bar might be a little more difficult to read, and that elevation meter could be made to reflect the difference in elevation present in the level. (Of course this would take time and effort, and so much is asked of developers as it is already.) Allowing for more elevations allows more map variations, and there's no reason every map would have 20 elevations. The game offers, I think, five elevations now, right? But some maps only use three.

Aurzel

maybe just add 1 more elevation and see how it goes, personally i think 5 is good, but then a little more ight aid in the larger maps

superzip

the bigger maps will be a nice thing, maybe a scrolling map. it will also make it harder, with a bigger map to keep track of.

Karsten75

I was just imagining a Volvano of Death and a Loch of Death. Would be cool if additional elevations were available, but I guess the map would have to be bigger.

Kamron3

This really would only work on huge maps.

Small maps with 20 elevation... I don't believe that will work out well...

_k

Aurzel

well you could have very small bowls with a 20 depth scattered around to drain the creeper

Kamron3

I would definitely like to have higher and lower elevations of terrains. :)

_k

Aurzel

like you said though, more elevations will go hand in hand with bigger maps otherwise it'll be too much

Kamron3

Yeah, I would prefer that it doesn't expand too much. I like the fact that it stays on one screen without a scroll.

_k

Aurzel

i wouldnt be bothered about scrolling, it just means you have bigger and more interesting maps, only downside would be that i cant keep an eye on everything at once

Kamron3

Yeah, that is true and if you have an enemy that is going to pour at you in every direction, it'll be very hard to keep up with.

_k

Aurzel

yeah those maps where you start in the middle would be much harder on scrolling maps

Mrmcdeath

Yes but they would be so much more fun...
Life Lesson #1
When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
Life Lesson #2
Unless life also gives you sugar and a cup, your lemonades gonna suck.