Linux and OS X users

Started by knucracker, September 15, 2016, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucracker

Most everything goes to the log file.  It's a unity thing.  If there are critical errors actually starting the application, then they might go to stderr. 

UncleBod

Quote from: SuperTerminator on September 17, 2016, 10:34:35 AM
Quote from: virgilw on September 17, 2016, 09:34:02 AM
Take a look in the log after running the game to see if it is complaining about anything...
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

Would running steam and by extention the game from the command line print any errors to the terminal or is it only to the log file?

Could i be:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/nilsarne/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 422900
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198130650748 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/nilsarne/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_MESA_query_renderer GLX_MESA_swap_control GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_OML_sync_control GLX_SGI_make_current_read GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap GLX_INTEL_swap_event

that is the problem?
I missed first. It was hidden at the top of the log...

/UncleBod
Less confused

knucracker

Yeah, turn off the steam overlay for the game and see if that helps.

UncleBod

Tested that, and some other things I found here:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Steam_runtime_issues

I suppose it is my own fault. I run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit maschine. Poor steam gets confused...

I will se if I can test it on a pure 32 bit Linux installation later today. If that also fails with the Story, it will be a real bug, right now it might be just my setup.

/UncleBod

UncleBod

Quote from: UncleBod on September 17, 2016, 07:48:20 PM

I will se if I can test it on a pure 32 bit Linux installation later today. If that also fails with the Story, it will be a real bug, right now it might be just my setup.

Test failed. The Video card was not new enough, so PF didn't even start...
Well, I will wait until someone else can verify it it works on other 32 bit systems or not.

/UncleBod

SuperTerminator

Quote from: UncleBod on September 18, 2016, 04:07:47 PM

Well, I will wait until someone else can verify it it works on other 32 bit systems or not.

/UncleBod

What error did it throw and what card do you have? Linux is very picky about its drivers, so there's a good chance you didn't install the right driver package.
I tried making CW3 custom maps once upon a time. I kinda failed. My maps were too large/stupidly long/stupidly easy. I think I only ever made one really good map, and its not for people who hate spores. I mean it'd be good shock therapy xD

UncleBod

Quote from: SuperTerminator on September 18, 2016, 07:41:45 PM
Quote from: UncleBod on September 18, 2016, 04:07:47 PM

/UncleBod

What error did it throw and what card do you have? Linux is very picky about its drivers, so there's a good chance you didn't install the right driver package.

I'll dig out the log tonite.  Tha box is old, so I am not sure it can run the game anyway...

/Unclebod
Starts planing OS upgrade.

UncleBod

Tested on a jurry rigged pure 32 bit Kubuntu 14 system.
Works, and shows the help texts.
/UncleBod
Really have to make that update to 64 bit soon...

Jonny_D

Hey Virgil,

Sent you my specs before but I might as well send you them here too. I'm attaching a screen snippet from my specs info. For the most part the game runs okay aside from that vertical line thingy on the land pieces. Right now she's clocking at around 12 to 16fps on a very large map with busy particle action. Kinda wish I could get the performance higher but it might be my graphics card. Other than that the game runs perfectly fine :)

Karsten75

Quote from: Jonny_D on September 20, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
Hey Virgil,

Sent you my specs before but I might as well send you them here too. I'm attaching a screen snippet from my specs info. For the most part the game runs okay aside from that vertical line thingy on the land pieces. Right now she's clocking at around 12 to 16fps on a very large map with busy particle action. Kinda wish I could get the performance higher but it might be my graphics card. Other than that the game runs perfectly fine :)

Yep, that's on the low end of the capability scale nowadays.

knucracker

Quote from: Jonny_D on September 20, 2016, 03:40:48 PM
Hey Virgil,

The vertical line issue... can you attach a few screenshots of it?  How common would you say it is?  It should only happen at certain zoom levels.

Jonny_D

Quote from: virgilw on September 20, 2016, 09:23:12 PM
The vertical line issue... can you attach a few screenshots of it?  How common would you say it is?  It should only happen at certain zoom levels.

Attaching image... again it's infrequent as to when it happens. it's not restricted to certain zoom levels as zooming back and fourth between two levels can both cause and not cause the visual glitch. I had (have even) the same visual glitch with CW3.

Shockblast DX

I'm mostly Linux. I occasionally use windows, but for certain things only.

UncleBod

Ok, a last report on the 32/64 missmatch...
iI cn sort of run on my 32 bit ubuntu system (It is not fast enough, but the scripted mission works.)
I run unil I got the Lathe ship placed, and copied the save to my 32/64 missmatch system.
The script in the mission was not running.
Log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZdaMv6cD-rRWJydGdQc1RNQmc/view?usp=sharing

Can anyone confirm that the scripted mission runs on a pure 64 bit Ubuntu install?

I don't think it is worth the time to find this bug, since it could be a Steam issue as well as PF issue, but it is god to know the issue exists...

/UncleBod

Incompetent

I'm using Mac OS El Capitan.  I downloaded the demo, and initially it refused to open.  It turned out the problem was that the app wasn't set to be executable - after some Googling I found out that this can be fixed by using the console command chmod.

Once I'd sorted that out though, everything ran fine.  Looking forward to the full game!